inTank Media Baskets

Nano-Reef.com Community Upgrade!

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

This weekend Nano-Reef.com is going to be upgraded to a new community platform with an all new home page, forums, gallery, articles library, and (if we're lucky) a brand new blog section! This has been a long time in the making, it has taken years for all the puzzle pieces to line up, software to be written, and data conversion processes created, but we've finally made it!

So What's New?

In a word, Everything! Our new community software is very modern and everything has been rebuilt from the ground up. There's too much to share here, but this is a quick overview of some big features:

screenshotnr1.jpg

There is a new global notifications system (similar to Facebook) and an all new private messaging system.

The forums will be quite familiar, but the view has been highly refined.

screenshotnr4.jpg

Posting and post editing features a new WYSIWYG editor with a new 'My Media' panel that allows you to repost your uploaded images, even images you've posted in the Gallery.

Following topics is easy, you can still receive email notifications, of you can utilize the new notifications system to get alerted while browsing anywhere on the website.

Private messages are now treated as conversations, where all recipients have a overview of every message shared, and multiple users can participate in private conversations.

The gallery is all new and features a refined category view and commenting system. Better yet, it's fully integrated into the forums, images you post in the gallery can be easily shared on the forum. It's a breath of fresh air compared to our clunky old gallery!

screenshotnr2.jpg

Our new articles section will allow community members to submit their own articles and guides to help others, so we can build a great catalog of knowledge! It's a work in progress, I'll have more details once the new site launches.

screenshotnr3.jpg

The new blogs section will allow every user to create their own blog. You can use it to document your aquariums, livestock growth, your DIY projects, and share all sorts of things about your hobby experiences. You'll be able to customize your blog and allow community members to comment on your blog posts. It's a great way to journal your aquariums!

New user profile pages will allow for easy content searching by user, and a new status system will allow you to post comments on your profile page. It's also easy to add members as your friends, to keep track of what they share with the community. You will also be able to 'Like' content that is posted, which will help contribute to a reputation rating on your profile page.

When Does This Happen?

Everything is on track for the site migration to begin this Saturday evening, December 22nd, around 9PM PST. Due to the nature of this intensive site rebuild, Nano-Reef.com will be unavailable during the migration process. By my current estimate, it will take approximately 9 hours from start to finish. We're migrating 12 years worth of data! The current website may be available in a read only status for a short period, until the domain name is transferred over to the new website. If everything goes as smoothly as my test runs have, the new website will be available late Sunday morning or early afternoon, depending on your (US) time zone.

What Will Happen To My Posts And Messages?

All of your topics, posts, attachments, gallery images, and private messages will remain in tact on the new website, everything is being converted over. Your existing private messages will become read-only, due to the differing nature of the new messaging system. Responding to your existing PM's will require a new conversation to be started with a user. I recommend that you archive any important private messages now, just to be safe!

I ask that you please be patient during the site migration, and anticipate a few bugs once we're back online. I'll be working hard throughout the day to refine all of the community settings, site templates, etc., it just takes time to get all the kinks worked out. With a little luck, everything will be set up and ready to go on your next visit on Sunday!

• Like 2
  • Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
please include some way to view the site as it currently is. i fear change.

Hate change.

Maybe it'll be nice to see something different though.

I do like the idea of notifications though.

IMO, this site was already highly refined. I can't think of another forum that has such a clean interface. Thanks CM for making this site and now making it better!

• Like 1

I believe the forum engine being used is xenforo.

From personal experience working with it, it is far superior than what we are using now.

Am I reading this right?

:lol:

I want to know that also :D

Girls how do you grow your tits?

Can't wait to see the new site, if we're all still alive haha :lol:

• Like 1

Archived