Coral Vue Hydros

My Atlantis - Wild & Woolly May 2015 Pictures!

eitallent

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will do!!! Thanks!!! I will definitely get it next time I see it. I hate to kill it though :(

I hate to kill cute little things too. But sucking the life out of the herbivorous snails is not so cute. So say a "mea culpa" and then ... squished ...

It is another page here is another few pics! :)

IMAG1556_zps93a967db.jpg

IMAG1558_zpse39562fa.jpg

IMAG1555_zpsb33b2fcb.jpg

IMAG1588_zps40f0fa21.jpg

IMAG1562_zps8f6fe0b6.jpg

IMAG1569_zpsfc170834.jpg

I have those darn pyramid snails in my 40. I have hermits too so I removed most snails, cleaned them, and moved to my other tank.

Latest pics look great!

Hi, Mark. Thanks for the complement. :)

Yeah starve those bloodsuckers out. I read it takes at least 2 to 3 months. I may have to do that but they are really necessary in the nano. They are constantly cleaning up the nuisance algae which I have budding out constantly. :blush: Me thinks me feeds too much.

How do they suck the life out of the herbivorous snails???? Omg! Sounds nasty!

Pictures look great!!!! Skipper is his usual cutie patootie self. :)

Here is the wetwebmedia.com page on parasite snails. Apparently the Pyramidellids have a long proboscis which they use to pierce the soft body of the snails and suck up fluids. Pyramidellids reproduce quickly so they can kill desirable snails due to large infestations. When they are full they drop off the host snail and hide in the sand bed.

Bleh what a way to die!

Tank looks great.

Bleh what a way to die!

Tank looks great.

I know it is a terrible way to go.

How do they suck the life out of the herbivorous snails???? Omg! Sounds nasty!

Pictures look great!!!! Skipper is his usual cutie patootie self. :)

Skipper is so full of personality, at least in my imagination if not in reality :lol:

Okay down to b'ness.

No more summer overheating for the nano! :) I took out the stock CF lights that give off too much heat and made the stunners the permanent lighting. Hubby helped me remove the wiring from the old lights. I kept the reflector and used zip ties with the sticky mounts to keep all the wiring and plugs in place. I did not put back the plastic cover because it was blocking too much light.

2013-04-02_08-27-49_876_zps4fdcae86.jpg

I finally had the 'noive' to cut holes in the JBJ's hood so that it would close. It looks really good :) I am happy.

2013-04-02_08-27-21_526_zpsa1e71d43.jpg

2013-04-02_08-28-28_2_zps286e9993.jpg

2013-04-02_08-56-00_596_zps4db5bd3e.jpg

FTS

2013-04-02_08-58-47_310_zps696132c9.jpg

Looks great!

Thank you! :)

Still no skimmer, but the amount of Chaeto and other macros must be cleaning up a significant amount of excess nutrients. Not to mention that there lots of creepy crawlies in the sand bed doing a great job of eating detritus.

What are all the colors of the stunners you're using? It looks really good.

I've read where their life will be shortened when installed in hoods due to the heat, so you might want to think about adding a small fan to cool them. Some people have issues, some don't.

What are all the colors of the stunners you're using? It looks really good.

I've read where their life will be shortened when installed in hoods due to the heat, so you might want to think about adding a small fan to cool them. Some people have issues, some don't.

Thanks! :)

These are the 12.5 " 6 watts:

1 white 12K/magenta

1 403nm ultraviolet

1 445 Royal Blue

after having the three above for a couple of weeks I decided I wanted more white. I added:

1 white 8K (they do not have just white 12 k)

I also installed the dimmer which I am glad to have because I turn the lights on slowly in the morning and turn them down slowly at night.

Thanks for the heads up on the heat issue. I will probably add a PC fan.

Thanks! :)

These are the 12.5 " 6 watts:

1 white 12K/magenta

1 403nm ultraviolet

1 445 Royal Blue

after having the three above for a couple of weeks I decided I wanted more white. I added:

1 white 8K (they do not have just white 12 k)

I also installed the dimmer which I am glad to have because I turn the lights on slowly in the morning and turn them down slowly at night.

Thanks for the heads up on the heat issue. I will probably add a PC fan.

Are your stunner strips completely sealed against moisture? With the plastic shield removed and the hood sealed over the tank I'd be concerned about condensation on any exposed connections or wiring. Though having not seen the strips in person maybe that's a baseless concern on my part. The new lighting definitely looks great.

Are your stunner strips completely sealed against moisture? With the plastic shield removed and the hood sealed over the tank I'd be concerned about condensation on any exposed connections or wiring. Though having not seen the strips in person maybe that's a baseless concern on my part. The new lighting definitely looks great.

That is a legitimate concern. They are water "resistant" according to the manufacturer. However, it is not advertised as waterproof so there is always the risk of long term damage from the salt. I looked at them closely and the LED units look to be sealed with a plastic of some sort to the strip. The wires are all well sealed going into the strips also. The connecting plugs on these are ingenious. They snap together and keep water from getting in there too. I dropped a plug in the water and quickly dried it off, open it up and saw that there was no water inside the connection. :happy:

I highly recommend these lights. Thanks to pschom for the suggestion! :)

Skipper is way too fat. :)

I decided to give Marty the spotlight for a change.He was feeling like a second fiddle to Skipper! :lol:

Anyone who has a wrasse knows how difficult it is to capture these cuties on film. They are nonstop hunters and hardly ever stop swimming. I love that about Marty. Here is a very brief look at Marty. He comes into focus briefly! :lol:

That is a legitimate concern. They are water "resistant" according to the manufacturer. However, it is not advertised as waterproof so there is always the risk of long term damage from the salt. I looked at them closely and the LED units look to be sealed with a plastic of some sort to the strip. The wires are all well sealed going into the strips also. The connecting plugs on these are ingenious. They snap together and keep water from getting in there too. I dropped a plug in the water and quickly dried it off, open it up and saw that there was no water inside the connection. :happy:

I highly recommend these lights. Thanks to pschom for the suggestion! :)

They sound like great lights.

I decided to give Marty the spotlight for a change.He was feeling like a second fiddle to Skipper! :lol:

Anyone who has a wrasse knows how difficult it is to capture these cuties on film. They are nonstop hunters and hardly ever stop swimming. I love that about Marty. Here is a very brief look at Marty. He comes into focus briefly! :lol:

He looks so little :)

Yummmm...love fish! I make sure not to eat that in front of my tank ;)

We had bean soup that I made with my leftover ham bone. So good and we didn't offend any critters in the process :lol:

Stunners can be rinsed underwater if you see salt creep. They do have an overheating issue so if you start to see one of the bulbs flickering, then contact ecoxotic, they will need the bar code picture or number to send you a replacement within 1 year of purchase.

They also just took out a simple LED controller which can plug in 2 of the modules. Does a simple gradual on to full intensity and gradual off, with a timed photo period, pretty neat.

The colors you chose look good there.

He looks so little :)

Yummmm...love fish! I make sure not to eat that in front of my tank ;)

We had bean soup that I made with my leftover ham bone. So good and we didn't offend any critters in the process :lol:

Marty seems to be pretty young. He was very blotchy ( faded spots along both sides of his body) and what looked like a whitish patch on his side. But Zig the BNG got straight to work and Marty would slow down his swimming so he could get groomed. Now his color is uniform and Zig seldom attaches to Marty. Everyone seems happy in the tank. :)

Stunners can be rinsed underwater if you see salt creep. They do have an overheating issue so if you start to see one of the bulbs flickering, then contact ecoxotic, they will need the bar code picture or number to send you a replacement within 1 year of purchase. They also just took out a simple LED controller which can plug in 2 of the modules. Does a simple gradual on to full intensity and gradual off, with a timed photo period, pretty neat. The colors you chose look good there.

Kat! TY for visiting. :)

I will rinse them with fresh water when I see salt creep. Good to know.

I have been placing my hand directly on the light to gauge temps. I was pleasantly surprised at how much less heat the stunners give off compared to the stock CF. It seems all four have the same heat output, so this may mean they are all okay. If one was super hot compared to the others then I might conclude it was a dud. However, I may have all four duds <_< but no lights are flickering so I may be good.

I will definitely look up that controller. Right now the controller is me gradually increasing and decreasing the lights. :lol: That is gonna get old quickly.

Thank you for the complement on the colors. I read lots of jedimasterben's writings on the subject and chose my colors according to what he likes. I can't go wrong following good advice from the wonderful NR members.

Thanks for the tips! :)

Archived