Pod Your Reef

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel

I always use one of those but I calibrate it. When I go to a LFS and buy a creature, I ask the store owner to test the salinity of the water in the bag with his refractometer. Then I test the water with my swing arm and put a line on it with a magic marker with the measurement he got at the store. I let him spend the $100+ bucks on the thing. I have not had a problem yet, but maybe the problems start at 43 years.

I guess that is one way to do it Paul ... of course when there are too Magic Marker lines it may be hard to see the numbers, that is if they if they are still there ... :-o (in the case of those swing arm ones)

On the stick type ones I guess you can always get the lines off with some alcohol or WD40 or lighter fluid or Goop I guess ...

I have a few of the swing arm ones and a refractometer that was getting a bit too old for my liking so I got another one from Cole Parmer, but I did see one online, a "C Scope" one that was being offered at $49.99 ... that is a big difference from what they used to cost when I first got one in the 80's .... and the reviews of that one are quite good.

But hey if your method works for you, by all means .. no need to change ... or maybe you could develop one :-o why not, I am sure that if you put your mind to it you could.

And I would not worry about anything going wrong in year 43 :-o

Albert

I had a visit from a very special little guy on Saturday who was fascinated with m y tank. My grandson Henry 7 months old and loves my reef tank. Well you have to catch them as early as possible to reef keeping.

Henryandfishtanketc004_zps6bbb6b83.jpg

Just managed to get him to turn his head away from the tank for a brief moment to get this pic of him.

Henryandfishtanketc005_zpsfc86aac0.jpg

• Like 2
albertthiel

I had a visit from a very special little guy on Saturday who was fascinated with m y tank. My grandson Henry 7 months old and loves my reef tank. Well you have to catch them as early as possible to reef keeping.

Just managed to get him to turn his head away from the tank for a brief moment to get this pic of him.

Very special indeed Les and I can already see a budding new Hobbyist in the making ... Great for you !

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

He is very cool looking. My GrandDaughter also likes the tank so I rub her on the glass to clean it.

He is very cool looking. My GrandDaughter also likes the tank so I rub her on the glass to clean it.

:)

• Like 1

This looks like Cryptocentrus cinctus which usually associates with A. bellulus (Tiger Pistol) but should also at some point associate with A. randali so not sue what it going on if it is not ...

Are you seeing any indication that the shrimp may be moving lower in the tank an closer to the Goy ?

Let us know on the Shrimp ... can you catch it and put it on the bottom somehow ?

Albert

It is day six since adding the shrimp and today they paired. When I got home from work there was a tunnel under a rock (the rock is on the bottom glass so no worry of collapse). The goby still cruises the tank but returns back to the den often.

At feeding time I used tweezers and the pistol took some food and retreat to the den. About 30 minutes later I heard it shoot. A hermit (which I know you are not a fan of) was right in front of the den. What happened next was interesting. I saw the pistol take some food I gave it earlier and place it right at the entrance of the den. It set a trap. I have a feeling hermit is on the menu tonight.

• Like 1
albertthiel

It is day six since adding the shrimp and today they paired. When I got home from work there was a tunnel under a rock (the rock is on the bottom glass so no worry of collapse). The goby still cruises the tank but returns back to the den often.

At feeding time I used tweezers and the pistol took some food and retreat to the den. About 30 minutes later I heard it shoot. A hermit (which I know you are not a fan of) was right in front of the den. What happened next was interesting. I saw the pistol take some food I gave it earlier and place it right at the entrance of the den. It set a trap. I have a feeling hermit is on the menu tonight.

Well I ma glad to read that they finally paired up and I am sure you are too that they did. Finally. It did take a while but that happens sometimes.

I like that Shrimp's behavior ... as you say maybe it is preparing its next meal by luring it to the entrance of its den. Interesting, and keep us posted please. Thanks for sharing that.

Albert

Is there any finer sight in a reef tank than a pair of true Perc's with a colourful RBTA? I bought my pair of clowns from a guy who breeds them for just £10 that's about $15 to you and the nem from a guy selling up for £15 about $22 to you. This is my trio.

RBTN004_zps008789b6.jpg

• Like 1
albertthiel

Is there any finer sight in a reef tank than a pair of true Perc's with a colourful RBTA? I bought my pair of clowns from a guy who breeds them for just £10 that's about $15 to you and the nem from a guy selling up for £15 about $22 to you. This is my trio.

RBTN004_zps008789b6.jpg

Les ...nice and you sure got those at some good prices .. I guess you are still not getting a lot of bubble extension on the tentacles ... has this always been so ? Just wondering

Albert

• Like 1

Its been the same since the day I got it Albert, When I feed its just the same as well. I wonder if its anything to do with the fact I am using purely LED's? maybe its because I feed it a few times a week and if I didn't the bubbles would be more prominent? Just a thought.

Les ...nice and you sure got those at some good prices .. I guess you are still not getting a lot of bubble extension on the tentacles ... has this always been so ? Just wondering

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Its been the same since the day I got it Albert, When I feed its just the same as well. I wonder if its anything to do with the fact I am using purely LED's? maybe its because I feed it a few times a week and if I didn't the bubbles would be more prominent? Just a thought.

Can't remember who wrote an article about this behavior (bubbles or no bubbles), could have been B Fenner but not sure. I'll have to search for it although I think I may have posted it already, but will all the forums and FB groups I am a member of, I seem to post so much that it becomes difficult to remember what I posted and where ... and I think I need to get off some of those forums and groups as it is starting to take up way too much time to keep up with :)

If I find the article I'll post i again ...

Actually I just found it ... it is by James Fatherree ... and here is the Link if you have not seen this article yet ...

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/6/inverts

Albert

• Like 1

Thanks Albert, I am just off out for the afternoon so will read it later this evening on my return. Have a great day. :)

Can't remember who wrote an article about this behavior (bubbles or no bubbles), could have been B Fenner but not sure. I'll have to search for it although I think I may have posted it already, but will all the forums and FB groups I am a member of, I seem to post so much that it becomes difficult to remember what I posted and where ... and I think I need to get off some of those forums and groups as it is starting to take up way too much time to keep up with :)

If I find the article I'll post i again ...

Actually I just found it ... it is by James Fatherree ... and here is the Link if you have not seen this article yet ...

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/6/inverts

Albert

• Like 1

Hello Sir!

I know its best to give your return pump a path of least resistance but form and function is important to me. I’m really trying to do some clean plumbing on this one. I need to move my return line a few inches to the right from the pump to meet the aquarium return line bulkhead at the bottom of the aquarium. I would prefer using a couple 45° fittings on my return line over using hose or flex pipe.

Because I would like to use 45° and not 90° fittings do you think it will make a big difference compared to using hose or the like? All the plumbing will keep a vertical direction along with ¾" fittings and pipe from the pumps ¾" outlet... In other words I'm not reducing the pipes or fittings.

It's around 45" from the pump, thru the aquarium bulkhead, and back to the top of the drilled overflow box where I have another bulkhead and Loc-Line. The aquarium is 60-62 gallons and the pump is located in the sump almost inline with the aquariums bottom drilled return line bulkhead.

Here is the pump info:

Tunze Recirculation Pump Silence 1073.04

Pumping power: 300 to 3,000 l/h (80 to 790 US gal./h).
Pumping head: 3 m (118 in.)., ¾" NPT hose supports

Many Thanks!

-Nick :D

• Like 1
albertthiel

Hello Sir!

I know its best to give your return pump a path of least resistance but form and function is important to me. I’m really trying to do some clean plumbing on this one. I need to move my return line a few inches to the right from the pump to meet the aquarium return line bulkhead at the bottom of the aquarium. I would prefer using a couple 45° fittings on my return line over using hose or flex pipe.

Because I would like to use 45° and not 90° fittings do you think it will make a big difference compared to using hose or the like? All the plumbing will keep a vertical direction along with ¾" fittings and pipe from the pumps ¾" outlet... In other words I'm not reducing the pipes or fittings.

It's around 45" from the pump, thru the aquarium bulkhead, and back to the top of the drilled overflow box where I have another bulkhead and Loc-Line. The aquarium is 60-62 gallons and the pump is located in the sump almost inline with the aquariums bottom drilled return line bulkhead.

Here is the pump info:

Tunze Recirculation Pump Silence 1073.04

Pumping power: 300 to 3,000 l/h (80 to 790 US gal./h).

Pumping head: 3 m (118 in.)., ¾" NPT hose supports

Many Thanks!

-Nick :D

Yes indeed the fewer fittings the less the resistance will be so I usually prefer hose with tight connections on both ends so they cannot come loose.

If however you prefer fittings then 2 45's would offer less resistance indeed than 90's ... but the difference is not going to be all that large really, so use what you feel most comfortable with I would say

Albert

• Like 1

Yes indeed the fewer fittings the less the resistance will be so I usually prefer hose with tight connections on both ends so they cannot come loose.

If however you prefer fittings then 2 45's would offer less resistance indeed than 90's ... but the difference is not going to be all that large really, so use what you feel most comfortable with I would say

Albert

Exactly, you won't even notice the difference. The height of the tank above the pump will be the determining point of how much water gets pumped, not if you use a 45, 90 or flex hose.

I just came back from my boat, I had to rebuild the relay for the electric anchor, anyway, the grass shrimps are there and hopefully amphipods also. The water is freezing so as soon as I can find a Dummy, I mean a person adventurous enough to come out collecting I will get some stuff. Albert I will also be sending you some stuff as soon as I either find or build a Styrofoam box.

• Like 2
albertthiel

Exactly, you won't even notice the difference. The height of the tank above the pump will be the determining point of how much water gets pumped, not if you use a 45, 90 or flex hose.

I just came back from my boat, I had to rebuild the relay for the electric anchor, anyway, the grass shrimps are there and hopefully amphipods also. The water is freezing so as soon as I can find a Dummy, I mean a person adventurous enough to come out collecting I will get some stuff. Albert I will also be sending you some stuff as soon as I either find or build a Styrofoam box.

No problem Paul .. no rush ... whenever the time is best based on your long time of collecting the "stuff" :-o

Still that cold up in LI .. wow .. here in ATL is is starting to get HOT ... although we have also been having a lot of rain in some areas latterly .. I think one place south of ATL got over 6 inches ! That was a record for sure !

Albert

albertthiel

A study of the axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum), an aquatic salamander, reveals that immune cells called macrophages are critical in the early stages of Limb Regeneration ...

Could that mean something for other aquatic life forms we keep ...

Interesting discovery for sure and more to come I would Imagine as research continues

Link :

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/21/limb-regeneration-salamanders-immune-cells-axolotl_n_3311704.html?ir=Science&utm_campaign=052113&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Alert-science&utm_content=Photo

Albert

• Like 1

While in town this afternoon I pop into a shop that just has a few tanks of marines. From time to time I have picked up the odd bargain from there and this afternoon was one of those times. I spotted a Porites encrusting (is there any other type) on a rock.

The manager had little idea of what it was but like a honest guy I informed him what it was and that it probably had some other coral on it that had died something like Christmas tree worms I would imagine. I got it for 310 about $15 to you.

The rock measures approx 6"x4". I don't think I have seen such a bright green Porites before. In the shop it glowed under the TMC LED tiles it was under. I think a green Porites is quite rare well in the UK anyway. Perhaps you get to see them more in the US?

Porities001_zps6423a866.jpg

• Like 2

No problem Paul .. no rush ... whenever the time is best based on your long time of collecting the "stuff" :-o

Still that cold up in LI .. wow .. here in ATL is is starting to get HOT ... although we have also been having a lot of rain in some areas latterly .. I think one place south of ATL got over 6 inches ! That was a record for sure !

Albert

It is 80 degrees here today but the water is probably still fifty.

I mainly need to find a smallish styrofoam box

• Like 1
albertthiel

While in town this afternoon I pop into a shop that just has a few tanks of marines. From time to time I have picked up the odd bargain from there and this afternoon was one of those times. I spotted a Porites encrusting (is there any other type) on a rock.

The manager had little idea of what it was but like a honest guy I informed him what it was and that it probably had some other coral on it that had died something like Christmas tree worms I would imagine. I got it for 310 about $15 to you.

The rock measures approx 6"x4". I don't think I have seen such a bright green Porites before. In the shop it glowed under the TMC LED tiles it was under. I think a green Porites is quite rare well in the UK anyway. Perhaps you get to see them more in the US?

That is indeed large Les, and to give the price a little funny twist that works out to 8.33 pennies per square inch ... not bad :-o and it is looking good too ...

Check this they have a pic of one that looks very similar ; http://www.saltyunderground.com/article_info.php?articles_id=47

And I guess you could say that there is the boulder type but that would be a bit large for your 2 x 2

Oh and Marine Habitat in the UK set up a Google Community for a number of types of aquariums, one of which is of course salt ... you may want to check it out (not just you of course) ... hopefully those will be more helpful and informative than some of the FB groups many of which are more advertising vehicles it seems than anything else ...

Here is a link to the Marine one : https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/117636244954400166050

The communities are fairly new I believe so not a lot of posts yet but there are some interesting ones already ...

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

It is 80 degrees here today but the water is probably still fifty.

I mainly need to find a smallish styrofoam box

Not to worry and the best place to find a styro would be an LFS I would think unless the Big box stores have smaller ones than what stores usually get their fish and corals in ...

Albert

Thanks Albert yes that's very similar apart from mine seems a much intense green. However they are reported to come in a variety of colours but mostly greenish or brownish or yellow it seems.

That is indeed large Les, and to give the price a little funny twist that works out to 8.33 pennies per square inch ... not bad :-o and it is looking good too ...

Check this they have a pic of one that looks very similar ; http://www.saltyunderground.com/article_info.php?articles_id=47

And I guess you could say that there is the boulder type but that would be a bit large for your 2 x 2

Oh and Marine Habitat in the UK set up a Google Community for a number of types of aquariums, one of which is of course salt ... you may want to check it out (not just you of course) ... hopefully those will be more helpful and informative than some of the FB groups many of which are more advertising vehicles it seems than anything else ...

Here is a link to the Marine one : https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/117636244954400166050

The communities are fairly new I believe so not a lot of posts yet but there are some interesting ones already ...

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Thanks Albert yes that's very similar apart from mine seems a much intense green. However they are reported to come in a variety of colours but mostly greenish or brownish or yellow it seems.

Yes indeed ... that is a large piece of rock to add to your aquarium I would imagine since your tank is fairly full already .. but I gather that since you got it you must have figured you had the space for it :-o

Albert

• Like 1