Innovative Marine Aquariums

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel

Something I would like to say about Saly Lightfoot Crabs. They are not really sub marine crabs and spend most of their time out of the water on the damp rocks eating algae, they are very common on every tropical beach but this behaviour makes them hard to keep in a tank as if there is a rock or coral sticking out of the water, Sally Lightfoot Crabs will climb out and you can find them under your bed, couch, TV etc. I have found them all over my house and travel surprisingly far before they dry up and die.

Also those large hermit crabs can get quite large. I have seen hermit crabs eating a barracuda, especially those coconut crabs which are terrestrial and also very common on Islands. They get as large as coconuts and can give you a nice bite or tear your arm off and eat it later.

Yes indeed Paul some of the crabs you mention and some of the ones in the article by J. Fatherree are indeed not well suited for our reef tanks and others which we may consider as obligate herbivores are in reality opportunistic feeders and may at times if not enough of their preferred food is available decide that a coral in the tank looks "appealing" and even if it does not really feed on it, it may inflict damage to that coral which can then lead to further problems such as bacterial and other disease and possibly even to the coral perishing.

Personally I do not care to put Hermits in my tank as I find that they can turn on us and decide to switch from an omnivorous or detrivorous feeding behavior to a carnivorous one, and feed on other small crustaceans in our reefs, e.g. small snails.

And of course some snails are not reef safe either as they can be of the boring type or the carnivorous type.

Albert

• Like 1
Drift Monkey

Everything You Always Wanted to Know, and Should Know, about Crabs ... Good and Bad

© James Fatherree

A great article that covers a large number of different Crabs including commensal ones with Anemones and SPS corals such as Acropora and Pocillopora such as Tetralia and Trapezia

Link :

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/12/inverts

Albert

My kind of article! My favorite (of the ones I've kept) on the list have to be porcelain/anemone crabs. They're just so entertaining!

Deep Sea ID - a New iPhone and iPad App ... And It is Free ...

Link :

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/deep-sea-id-a-new-iphone-and-ipad-app

Albert

This is pretty awesome. Deep sea creatures have always been interesting to me, even as a kid...cool app!

• Like 1
albertthiel

My kind of article! My favorite (of the ones I've kept) on the list have to be porcelain/anemone crabs. They're just so entertaining!

This is pretty awesome. Deep sea creatures have always been interesting to me, even as a kid...cool app!

Indeed Porcelain crabs are most entertaining, and on the APP should be interesting to watch what they feature. Have not downloaded it yet.

Sent from my iPhone

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

I think one of those goosefish also laid an egg in my tank.

In your tank I would not be surprised Paul .. anything can happen in there ... Tank may be a bit small for that fish though if it lays that size eggs :-o

Albert

albertthiel

Came across an interesting Image ... looks like this one is really wondering what is going on ?

Cute

nowwhat.png

Albert

Albert & Paul, just wanted to share the good news. I've been feeding live black worms and just like Paul says, the fish spawned! My clownfish just laid their first ever clutch. I've had them since October 2011. omgomgomg. :)

• Like 3
albertthiel

Albert & Paul, just wanted to share the good news. I've been feeding live black worms and just like Paul says, the fish spawned! My clownfish just laid their first ever clutch. I've had them since October 2011. omgomgomg. :)

Well Kat that IS great news indeed ... especially given how long you have had them ... +10 for sure ... I am sure that was exciting to see, and now that they spawned for the first time this is, as you well know, going to happen on a regular basis.

I am really happy for you, as anytime an event like that happens in someone's tank, it is a very gratifying experience and a joy to see.

Congratulations to you "and" to your Clowns of course, and thank you for posting the good news.

I am sure Paul will find it a pleasure to read that what he has been saying for a long time has indeed happened in your tank as well.

Again, thanks for sharing the good news ...

Albert

• Like 2
FlowerMama

Is it safe to dip chalice in Coral Rx? My tailspot was pickin' at it like it picks on everthing, rocks, walls, etc and 20-30 mins later my chalice was turning brown. This was yesterday. Today when I came home I saw my square inch piece of chalice has turned all brown. Was it a stress reaction? Is it ok to try dip it in Coral Rx for 5 mins?

I don't believe it's light related because my other chalice was also under a ledge facing towards you, not face up in the tank or in the sand, and it is doing well. I did have to move it to this spot so a better picture could be taken of it. Of course I also have 2 mushrooms to the left about 4-5 inches away, they're up about 1/2" higher and they're splayed out. Should I do a dip and then turn it facing up?

• Like 1
albertthiel

Is it safe to dip chalice in Coral Rx? My tailspot was pickin' at it like it picks on everthing, rocks, walls, etc and 20-30 mins later my chalice was turning brown. This was yesterday. Today when I came home I saw my square inch piece of chalice has turned all brown. Was it a stress reaction? Is it ok to try dip it in Coral Rx for 5 mins?

I don't believe it's light related because my other chalice was also under a ledge facing towards you, not face up in the tank or in the sand, and it is doing well. I did have to move it to this spot so a better picture could be taken of it. Of course I also have 2 mushrooms to the left about 4-5 inches away, they're up about 1/2" higher and they're splayed out. Should I do a dip and then turn it facing up?

Well it seems that the damage was done due to the Tailspot (Hoeven's Wrasse I have to assume as the Tailspot Blenny would no pick on corals). Melanurus wrasse are not considered totally reef safe as your are probably experiencing.

If that behavior continues and if it keeps picking on corals then IMO that fish needs to be traded for a reef safe one.

Now on your coral : instead of Coral X which is a pretty strong dip but one you could IMO use the Seachem Coral disinfectant which is an iodine based one and dip the coral for maybe 2 minutes or so, but that is not going to un-stress the Chalice if that is what the issue is. That dip would help if there appears to be some tissue loss and is used to prevent a bacterial infection.

How long has that Chalice been in your tank ? Was this a recent addition and did you properly acclimate it to the lighting you are using?

It is IME not usual for a coral to turn brownish because a fish has picked on it unless polyp damage has resulted from it.

Let me have some more details ... Thanks

Albert

FlowerMama

I've had both chalice as of a week ago. You can see the other one in the background in the pic- Looks even more colorful since I got it . I just put it on the bottom facing up so I can see if the color changes at all over the next few hours since I'm home from work.

Due to a timing issue I had to float the chalice bags in the tankwater, lights out for an hour while I took my dog to the vet. Then I came home and emptied 1/3 of the water into the sink and replaced it with saltwater and did that 2 more times over the course of another 45 mins. They've been in the bottom 1/4 of the tank facing out, not into the light, and then the last 3 days they've been under a ledge so not getting direct light as I heard that's a great place for them.

There are lots of tiny pods in there right now and my tailspot is picking them off everything like nobody's business. He's the only fish in my Evolve 8. The rest are just 2 Astreas, 2 stomatellas, a few colonistas, 5 dward ceriths, 3 blue legged and 3 zebra legged hermits.

Ammonia & nitrite are zero, nitrate is 5. pH is 8. Salinity 1.025. Phosphate .25, Calcium in the upper 400s. Hope this helps.

• Like 1
FlowerMama

forgot lighting- it's a Par 38 full spectrum light, sits 8.5 inches from the hood but those 2 corals are 15-17" away from the light. Because it is a bright light I still actually put 1 or 2 pieces of plastic canvas over the top tohelp difuse the light and protect. Maybe I don't need those 2 pieces of plastic canvas? I haven't seen anything harmed by the light but when I look at the aquarium it looks so much brighter than anything I have in my house that all other lights look disgusting pale yellow, just like my 55 gal freshwater tan light. Do you think maybe I don't need to cover it? under lighting?

• Like 1
Blubbernaut

Hey Albert, just a quick question. I have an emerald crab and a 5 hermits, but I was thinking of getting another emerald. Should I even try this in my 28g? If so, does it matter if I get another female, or can it only be a male-female relationship? Or should I just get some more hermits? TIA

• Like 1
albertthiel

I've had both chalice as of a week ago. You can see the other one in the background in the pic- Looks even more colorful since I got it . I just put it on the bottom facing up so I can see if the color changes at all over the next few hours since I'm home from work.

Due to a timing issue I had to float the chalice bags in the tankwater, lights out for an hour while I took my dog to the vet. Then I came home and emptied 1/3 of the water into the sink and replaced it with saltwater and did that 2 more times over the course of another 45 mins. They've been in the bottom 1/4 of the tank facing out, not into the light, and then the last 3 days they've been under a ledge so not getting direct light as I heard that's a great place for them.

There are lots of tiny pods in there right now and my tailspot is picking them off everything like nobody's business. He's the only fish in my Evolve 8. The rest are just 2 Astreas, 2 stomatellas, a few colonistas, 5 dward ceriths, 3 blue legged and 3 zebra legged hermits.

Ammonia & nitrite are zero, nitrate is 5. pH is 8. Salinity 1.025. Phosphate .25, Calcium in the upper 400s. Hope this helps.

Not sure really what is going on but if they have been in that tank for over a week I would expose them to some more light slowly and see how they react ...

And on the Tailspot that is the Benny and I am surprised that it would pick on your corals as that is not how it normally behaves. Has it caused any damage you can see to that Chalice ?

Your parameters are OK, but 3 Hermits in a small tank like that seems like overkill, and hermits are opportunistic feeders and if they do not find algae and detritus the may start to pick on corals and that is what may be happening as the Tailspot is not know to do so.

Do these hermits have enough of the food they prefer? If not they may have tried the Chalices maybe during the night when you did not see it.

I think that for your tank 1 is enough and personally I do not use them at all because as I describe in my new book, unpredictable.

So give the Chalices some more light and if there is no damage to them, not need to dip. And IMO you should get some of those Hermits out of that tank.

Albert

albertthiel

forgot lighting- it's a Par 38 full spectrum light, sits 8.5 inches from the hood but those 2 corals are 15-17" away from the light. Because it is a bright light I still actually put 1 or 2 pieces of plastic canvas over the top tohelp difuse the light and protect. Maybe I don't need those 2 pieces of plastic canvas? I haven't seen anything harmed by the light but when I look at the aquarium it looks so much brighter than anything I have in my house that all other lights look disgusting pale yellow, just like my 55 gal freshwater tan light. Do you think maybe I don't need to cover it? under lighting?

As I suggested in my other message I would start exposing them to some more light and see how they react and adjust the intensity accordingly. After a week or so in the tank they should react positively IMO to some more light ...

Albert

albertthiel

Hey Albert, just a quick question. I have an emerald crab and a 5 hermits, but I was thinking of getting another emerald. Should I even try this in my 28g? If so, does it matter if I get another female, or can it only be a male-female relationship? Or should I just get some more hermits? TIA

In a 29 G I would not add more than 1 ... there always needs to be enough algal material for them and if you put too many they will run out of food and either perish or try to feed on other life forms so IMO just one will do for you

Albert

Metrokat, you seem surprised. As I have been saying, all things being equal, if you feed fish correcdtly, which means live foods like blackworms, you have to step on them to get them to stop spawning.

That is what happened to me in the 70s when I few them to blue devils, they kept spawning.

That is certainly good news, congradulations.

Paul

• Like 3

All very true Paul, My Azure damsels are forever spawning and I expect my clowns when old enough to spawn as well.

It always amazes me when people reports their water quality is spot on and yet their clowns although mature enough having had them a number of years refuse to spawn. They may go through the motions cleaning a site but no eggs get laid

.Often you find these people feed once a day at most twice a day and often pellets or dried food. As you point out regular feeds with good quality fresh and frozen foods will bring most fish into breeding condition and once they start to breed they simply wont stop. The way to a fishes breeding is through its stomach nothing new there just common sense.

Metrokat, you seem surprised. As I have been saying, all things being equal, if you feed fish correcdtly, which means live foods like blackworms, you have to step on them to get them to stop spawning.
That is what happened to me in the 70s when I few them to blue devils, they kept spawning.
That is certainly good news, congradulations.
Paul

• Like 1

True, every time there is a problem of any type with fish the first thing people will ask, invariably is what are your parameters. The salinity could be way off, the nitrates and phosphates could be off the scale and the temperature could be almost 90 degrees and healthy fish that are eating correctly will still spawn. Mine do. Of course they would rather swim in better conditions and corals are not as forgiving but the main thing with fish, is food. It just seems so simple to me but virtually no one believes it and I am asked all the time if pellets or a "good" brand of flake food will suffice. No, it will not. And exactly what is a "good" flake food? Flakes will keep most fish alive as potato chips will keep us alive, but do you want the fish to just live a couple of years or do you want the thing to thrive and be disease free for 10 or 20 years?

It is common sense but what do I know?

• Like 2