Coral Vue Hydros

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Oh yes this Clown Goby will eat a lot of different foods and loves to perch within branched corals ... some have reported that they can damage the coral because of their slime, but I have not found any really verifiable information on that.

Yes if a pair lays eggs it will be on the underside of the branches, and that may cause some minor irritation to the coral but in most cases there will not be any permanent or long lasting damage done.

Albert

I think my yellow clown gobies will lay eggs soon as they are both very fat. All it takes is live worms a couple of times a day. If they lay eggs I will try to get a picture. The fry of those things must be tiny, smaller than this ---------> . <----------

• Like 1
albertthiel

I think my yellow clown gobies will lay eggs soon as they are both very fat. All it takes is live worms a couple of times a day. If they lay eggs I will try to get a picture. The fry of those things must be tiny, smaller than this ---------> . <----------

They are but soon you can see them clearly as in the picture in this link (click on it to enlarge it and see them better)

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f186/green-clown-goby-fry-everywhere-175526-2.html

Albert

albertthiel

Seth's 180 Gallon Reef Tank ... by Thomas Brown of Thomasvisionic.

Tony Vargas can also be seen in the video

Albert

• Like 1

These guys need some small food like live new born brine, but they also love worms.

Clowngobi_zps1ae21999.jpg

Amazing pic!

Got some for you today Albert. Hope you don't mind.

I Haz Pictards

FTS Today 5/24/13

969356_10151606471424029_972180051_n.jpg

Full System

942126_10151606471644029_1661414708_n.jp

Now for the SPS

The Group

942330_10151606471579029_1458990925_n.jp

Karl's Candle Light

923290_10151606470089029_615004493_n.jpg

Awesome

420223_10151606470099029_987088003_n.jpg

I still have no Idea but the 3 have now encrusted the rock to form one mini colony, no more sending one of these guys out, let em grow!

983965_10151606471354029_235115947_n.jpg

Poci Taking over!

431958_10151606471379029_117640034_n.jpg

Today From side

971689_10151606471024029_960960785_n.jpg

From Front

431889_10151606470049029_2105653607_n.jp

Ist placement, 2 months ago to the date mid tank, has grown quite a bit, and is starting to encrust the parts that STN'd after I cut it off the rock in this picture. (in one piece I might add. :happy: )

733886_10151506374149029_1188552035_n.jp

Pretty Blonde

945569_10151606470179029_796719383_n.jpg

Pic Bomb

312132_10151606470129029_53788796_n.jpg

See that growth under the mantle, over 1/2 inch since Feb. Almost a whole inch since I got him

481545_10151606470249029_880233139_n.jpg

My clam is glorious! :lol:

579277_10151606470274029_1584152960_n.jp

Clementine is starting to open up again

420352_10151606470224029_314917601_n.jpg

I love my clowns.

292348_10151606470734029_1956561792_n.jp

We didn't eat 5 minutes ago feed us again!

382434_10151606470799029_2039116388_n.jp

Yet another freebie SPS got it as a HH under the Xenia, I am going to dremel or snap a piece of and glue it to the back glass.

382387_10151606470924029_1415995406_n.jp

So dark but he lives! The GBG male is doing well, gave me a heart attack when I saw him jump into an acan for a piece of myisis! :blink:

249009_10151606471174029_1553825546_n.jp

When did I get a second Midas???? :P

942288_10151606471394029_1237711548_n.jp

Darryl is so pink! HAHA Girlie boy! :P

580390_10151606471524029_328062027_n.jpg

Xena

945352_10151606470319029_2082352592_n.jp

Xerxes Sausage!

423900_10151606470404029_1906904456_n.jp

Thanks again for letting me post these here.

• Like 2

Caloria elegans Slug/Nudibranch

An Aeolid Nudibranch that is an opportunistic feeder and will harm corals as it sucks up the mucus on the Polyp and as a result exposes the tissue to possible infection

This Nudibranch, more commonly found in the Mediterranean and around the UK, may have made its way to other areas and may come in as an HH on Live Rock, and should be removed from the Tank. HH's will be small but the Nudi grows to a size of approx 1.5 cm (just over .5 inches).

Here is an image of it (enlarged) .... you can find plenty more on the Net although few articles describing their habits and behavior can be found.

caloria_elegans.png

Albert

Reminds me of a great spread Nat Geo did a while back.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2008/06/nudibranchs/doubilet-photography

• Like 2
albertthiel

Looking great Randi ... and as you know I don't mind at all ... the more pics the better IMO ... and I am sure others like to see them too.

Thanks for posting them .

Albert

Amazing pic!

Got some for you today Albert. Hope you don't mind. -------------- + 1

• Like 2

They are but soon you can see them clearly as in the picture in this link (click on it to enlarge it and see them better)

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f186/green-clown-goby-fry-everywhere-175526-2.html

Albert

I would like them (and all my fish to spawn) as I don't care about that small piece of acropora that it may damage, that stuff grows fast and in a few weeks will repair the damage. I may even try to raise some clown gobies if they spawn and if I can collect them and if I can get rotifers in time and if I am in the country and if I can borrow the Hubble telescope to find them in my 6' long Nano

• Like 2

Holiday season is upon us well in the UK anyway.

Going away for a while or just a few days then it makes sense to do some basic maintenance and checks before you do.

Here are some very basic steps to take before departing on that holiday.

1/ If possible have a reefer friend close to home who can pop in and check all's well while you are away.

2/ Cary out any maintenance at least 2 days before departure and don't leave it until the day before as you may not have enough time to replace repair etc anything that needs doing and should something be amiss then give yourself enough time to correct it.

3. Carry out water tests and do a water change well in advance again at least 2 days before departure.

4/ If a friend is to check things out while your away with no reefing experience then make up small packets of food. Small packets of dry foods like flake etc should be made up and kept in an air tight container wrap the food in silver foil and put in the fridge to keep moisture out of it. Frozen foods can be made up similar put in a container and back in the freezer. You should make up the packets with just enough food for one feed of course.

5/ Show your friend where everything it and go over it with them but don't put the frighteners on them lol..

6/ Give an inexperienced tank minder the phone number of a reefing buddy who they can ring in case they need help and you can't be contacted for any reason.

7/ Clean skimmers, pumps and filters.

8/ Clean float switch to any ATU you may have. You don't want one to fail and stick on. Make sure there is enough water in the ATU container for the length of time you are away and add a few days more. You can always increase the size of the ATU water container to take into consideration the amount of top up water you may need.

9/ Check all electrical connections.

10/ Try and make the tank as automated as possible and use time switches for lighting.

BTW did you know keeping salt in the fridge will keep salt fresh and free from absorbing moisture?

I am sure I have missed a few so feel free to add your own.

Les.

• Like 1

As you know UK gallons are slightly bigger than US gallons. Here is the formula to calculate the capacity of a tank in UK gallons.

LxDxHx6.25 = UK gallons,

So as an example a tank say 30" x 15" x 12" then 2.5x 1.25 x 1 = 3.75cubic feet x 6.25= 23.4375 gallons. Of course you then have to minus the amount of displacement of your reef work, fish, corals and equipment that maybe in the tank. Also if you have a sump or fuge then add the water contents to the result of the tanks volume.

Need to calculate a tank size / gallon content using inches rather than feet ?

Go to this link and enter the dimensions

Link :

http://www.greertank.com/tankcalc.htm

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Reminds me of a great spread Nat Geo did a while back.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2008/06/nudibranchs/doubilet-photography

They are all amazing looking indeed both in color and shape and how they move around some swimming like the Spanish Dancer, a great one but just about impossible to keep alive for more than a month IME .. I tried many many years ago but have not recently but they are not that easy to find .... wonderful way of moving through an aquarium though ...

Here is a Video of one :

Albert

logo400DPISmall.png

• Like 2
albertthiel

I would like them (and all my fish to spawn) as I don't care about that small piece of acropora that it may damage, that stuff grows fast and in a few weeks will repair the damage. I may even try to raise some clown gobies if they spawn and if I can collect them and if I can get rotifers in time and if I am in the country and if I can borrow the Hubble telescope to find them in my 6' long Nano

Yes they are great looking and also have very interesting behavior as you know and if you do get one, I would get the Green one ... more colors and quite a nice sight ...

And who know if you have more than one they may indeed spawn and the reports of damage are IMO overstated as however they affect the corals they perch on, that heals and does not inflict any permanent damage based on many reports, not forum posts but more reliable info.

Albert

• Like 1

Many years ago I had a pair of yellow gobies Gobiodon okinawae. We did not keep Acros then well at least I knew of nobody successfully keeping them. However that didn't stop them spawning on the front glass of my reef tank. I don't know if it was the male or female that guarded them by my did he/she guard them. Anything no matter what size that dared to venture within a few inches was attacked and sent packing. Wonderful little fish and even better when paired of course.

More recently I kept a wonderful pair of Clown gobies Gobiodon citrinus. Again a most entertaining colourful and peaceful fish. here is a video of the pair I kept on my YouTube channel.

More of my Citrus gobies.

And another videos fo them.

• Like 2
albertthiel

This is the first picture of our new Mini Majano Wand available in a few months.

Like all our Majano Wands it is made in America.

MiniWand_zpsfda0a912.png

NIce indeed and looks easier the handle in a smaller aquarium, although I never had any issues using the larger one in my 20 G tank.

Good idea to offer a size though for nanos that may be smaller than 20 G's. And +1 on the Made in the USA !

Albert

albertthiel

Going away for a while or just a few days then it makes sense to do some basic maintenance and checks before you do.

1/ If possible have a reefer friend close to home who can pop in and check all's well while you are away.

2/ Cary out any maintenance at least 2 days before departure and don't leave it until the day before as you may not have enough time to replace repair etc anything that needs doing and should something be amiss then give yourself enough time to correct it.

3. Carry out water tests and do a water change well in advance again at least 2 days before departure.

4/ If a friend is to check things out while your away with no reefing experience then make up small packets of food. Small packets of dry foods like flake etc should be made up and kept in an air tight container wrap the food in silver foil and put in the fridge to keep moisture out of it. Frozen foods can be made up similar put in a container and back in the freezer. You should make up the packets with just enough food for one feed of course.

5/ Show your friend where everything it and go over it with them but don't put the frighteners on them lol..

6/ Give an inexperienced tank minder the phone number of a reefing buddy who they can ring in case they need help and you can't be contacted for any reason.

8/ Clean float switch to any ATU you may have. You don't want one to fail and stick on. Make sure there is enough water in the ATU container for the length of time you are away and add a few days more. You can always increase the size of the ATU water container to take into consideration the amount of top up water you may need.

10/ Try and make the tank as automated as possible and use time switches for lighting.

BTW did you know keeping salt in the fridge will keep salt fresh and free from absorbing moisture?

Les.

Good stuff Les ... and yes a major maintenance would certainly be recommended as you say ... and of course someone to come by and feed ... and as you say make sure the top off is working correctly and keeping the water level steady (and the s.g.)

Excellent info ... Thanks

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

As you know UK gallons are slightly bigger than US gallons. Here is the formula to calculate the capacity of a tank in UK gallons.

LxDxHx6.25 = UK gallons,

So as an example a tank say 30" x 15" x 12" then 2.5x 1.25 x 1 = 3.75cubic feet x 6.25= 23.4375 gallons. Of course you then have to minus the amount of displacement of your reef work, fish, corals and equipment that maybe in the tank. Also if you have a sump or fuge then add the water contents to the result of the tanks volume.

Indeed, a US Gallon is 3.78 liters and a UK (Imperial) one is 4.54 liters ... so about 20 % difference ... can be confusing indeed for those who read size listings but do not know whether they are in US or UK gallons ... Thanks for pointing it out Les ...

Albert

albertthiel

Many years ago I had a pair of yellow gobies Gobiodon okinawae. We did not keep Acros then well at least I knew of nobody successfully keeping them. However that didn't stop them spawning on the front glass of my reef tank. I don't know if it was the male or female that guarded them by my did he/she guard them. Anything no matter what size that dared to venture within a few inches was attacked and sent packing. Wonderful little fish and even better when paired of course.

More recently I kept a wonderful pair of Clown gobies Gobiodon citrinus. Again a most entertaining colourful and peaceful fish. here is a video of the pair I kept on my YouTube channel.

More of my Citrus gobies.

And another videos fo them.

Thanks Les and yes they are indeed nice Citron Gobies from what I can see ...

And they do seem to get along real well .. did you put both in at the same time or did you buy a pair ?

Albert

• Like 1

When I bought them from the LFS there were a num,ber in the same holding tank. I watchewd them for a good while and in doing so established these two had paired up by the fact they stayed close and one chased any others that got too close. I find that often when watching a tank of the same fish that are known to form pairs that you can pick out any that may have paired. Of course often once the net goes in the tank to catch the two you want they all scatter and it can be almost impossible to pick the same two out again.

Thanks Les and yes they are indeed nice Citron Gobies from what I can see ...

And they do seem to get along real well .. did you put both in at the same time or did you buy a pair ?

Albert

• Like 1

Les.

I recently installed an "ICam" App on my phone that lets me see my aquarium on my I Phone from anywhere in the world for free.

The App is $5.00 and there is no charge for the service. The picture is a little jumpy but I can clearly see my fish. There is also a motion detector (that I have not figured out how to use) that will alert you when something or someone moves near the camera. That is good because it tells me when my tank sitter works on my tank.

I bought an extension cord for my Web Cam so I can put the camera near my tank. I can run 4 camera's on it and see all of them or one at a time on my phone.

• Like 2
albertthiel

When I bought them from the LFS there were a num,ber in the same holding tank. I watchewd them for a good while and in doing so established these two had paired up by the fact they stayed close and one chased any others that got too close. I find that often when watching a tank of the same fish that are known to form pairs that you can pick out any that may have paired. Of course often once the net goes in the tank to catch the two you want they all scatter and it can be almost impossible to pick the same two out again.

Great way to increase your chances that you will end up with 2 that will pair indeed Les. And a good idea for sure, but as you say catching the exact two you want may not always be that easy ...

Albert

albertthiel

I recently installed an "ICam" App on my phone that lets me see my aquarium on my I Phone from anywhere in the world for free.

The App is $5.00 and there is no charge for the service. The picture is a little jumpy but I can clearly see my fish. There is also a motion detector (that I have not figured out how to use) that will alert you when something or someone moves near the camera. That is good because it tells me when my tank sitter works on my tank.

I bought an extension cord for my Web Cam so I can put the camera near my tank. I can run 4 camera's on it and see all of them or one at a time on my phone.

That is interesting indeed, I was not aware of the App and $5 is a real tempting price. Of course one needs to get the Webcam, and hook them up to a PC or Internet connection so the data can be transmitted ...

Wonder how much data are sent and how that affects your data plan usage ... so you don't suddenly find that you are exceeding your allowed limit if it comes in over 4G or LTE ... now if you use it over Wi-Fi the that would be different but if you are in an area where there is no Wi-Fi then the date are traveling IMO over the phone company's network and would impact your phone's data usage, but not knowing exactly how it is set up and how the views of the tank are transmitted to your iPhone, I could be wrong

Albert

That is interesting indeed, I was not aware of the App and $5 is a real tempting price. Of course one needs to get the Webcam, and hook them up to a PC or Internet connection so the data can be transmitted ...

Wonder how much data are sent and how that affects your data plan usage ... so you don't suddenly find that you are exceeding your allowed limit if it comes in over 4G or LTE ... now if you use it over Wi-Fi the that would be different but if you are in an area where there is no Wi-Fi then the date are traveling IMO over the phone company's network and would impact your phone's data usage, but not knowing exactly how it is set up and how the views of the tank are transmitted to your iPhone, I could be wrong

Albert

I have no idea, but I am planning to go back to the South Pacific and for a few minutes a day I can check the tank or if my tank sitter has a problem she can call me and direct the camera at the problem as I have a 20' cord on the web cam (which cost only $29.00)

The cost of the minute overage will easily get absorbed in the $12,000.00 or so that it costs to go to the South Pacific. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
albertthiel

I have no idea, but I am planning to go back to the South Pacific and for a few minutes a day I can check the tank or if my tank sitter has a problem she can call me and direct the camera at the problem as I have a 20' cord on the web cam (which cost only $29.00)

The cost of the minute overage will easily get absorbed in the $12,000.00 or so that it costs to go to the South Pacific. :rolleyes:

Wow ... nice ... let me know whether you need a luggage carrier as I will volunteer for that task for sure :-o

And on the Cam : I gather it is hooked up to your PC so you have a connection to the net, or if not, how is it communication over the net? Did you have to install software on your PC to enable hat App ?

I think I will check it out in the App store and see what info I can find on it ...

Albert