SaltCritters.com

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Yes indeed the fewer fittings the less the resistance will be so I usually prefer hose with tight connections on both ends so they cannot come loose.

If however you prefer fittings then 2 45's would offer less resistance indeed than 90's ... but the difference is not going to be all that large really, so use what you feel most comfortable with I would say

Albert

Thank you very much Albert! :D

Exactly, you won't even notice the difference. The height of the tank above the pump will be the determining point of how much water gets pumped, not if you use a 45, 90 or flex hose.

I just came back from my boat, I had to rebuild the relay for the electric anchor, anyway, the grass shrimps are there and hopefully amphipods also. The water is freezing so as soon as I can find a Dummy, I mean a person adventurous enough to come out collecting I will get some stuff. Albert I will also be sending you some stuff as soon as I either find or build a Styrofoam box.

Thank you Paul! :lol:

• Like 1
albertthiel

Thank you very much Albert! :D

Thank you Paul! :lol:

You are welcome and on another note that graphic in your signature is quite something : 150 or so different frames that make up the animated GIF ... wow

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Photosynthetic Circadian Rythmicity Patterns of Symbiodium the Endo-Symbiotic Coral Algae

© The Royal Society - Biological Sciences

A technical article with additional links - 2013 - - A must read I believe

Link :

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/280/1759/20122942.full.pdf

If needed, you can look up details on "circadian" here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm

Albert

You are welcome and on another note that graphic in your signature is quite something : 150 or so different frames that make up the animated GIF ... wow

Albert

Thank you! It wasn't too bad making it, Flash does most of the work. The trick is knowing how to use it, I haven't scratched the surface in regards to learning everything. My Kung Fu is strongest in Adobe Illustrator.

Best Wishes! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Not to worry and the best place to find a styro would be an LFS I would think unless the Big box stores have smaller ones than what stores usually get their fish and corals in ...

Albert

I have some of those large Styrofoam boxes but I didn't want to spend $50.00 to mail a few shrimp, amphipods and mud. I will have to build one maybe a foot square.

No problem.

I would like to get the boat away from the marina to my collecting area where I could get a more interesting collection and better stuff.

I will get there.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Thank you! It wasn't too bad making it, Flash does most of the work. The trick is knowing how to use it, I haven't scratched the surface in regards to learning everything. My Kung Fu is strongest in Adobe Illustrator.

Best Wishes! :rolleyes:

I have all of the Adobe programs but use few of them and yes the learning curve on all of them is "steep" to say the least. I struggle even with Photoshop ... guess lack of time to get really into it. I used to be very good at Pagemaker but then when inDesign came about things changed so much that even with that one I am still finding new things and ways out every time I use it for writing an article or Newsletter ... They are all great but not always that intuitive out of the box. A friend of mine actually went to the Atlanta School of Graphics or something like that to learn how to really use it ...

Great animated GIF though .. love it. Thanks

Albert

albertthiel

I have some of those large Styrofoam boxes but I didn't want to spend $50.00 to mail a few shrimp, amphipods and mud. I will have to build one maybe a foot square. No problem.

I would like to get the boat away from the marina to my collecting area where I could get a more interesting collection and better stuff.

I will get there.

Yes that is true Paul for what you will be sending you do not need one of those large ones so I guess that with a small box and 6 small pieces of styro to fit inside you should be able to keep it much smaller indeed. Have been there done that ;-o

But as I said there is no rush on my part ... whenever it is convenient and feasible for you is totally fine with me.

Thanks

BTW ... I think I posted that I eradicated a Kenya Tree with the Majano Wand not long ago, well guess what, a branch or tentacle must have fallen off before it was zapped as now the darn thing is regrowing about 3 inches lower on that same rock and a little to the right of it and real close to the sand. Those things are not only prolific bt hard to get rid of and I do not want them to start dropping more branches/tentacles and start growing in other places as not only do they grow fast, but they also multiply fast as you know. So I will have another zap zap zap session later today.

And last night, as I was up late, working on an article for Marine Habitat, the UK magazine, and preparing one for their Blog site, around midnight or so, I decided to have a good look at the tank with the "Critter LED Torch". and this time I did not see anything new that I had not seen before, but interestingly enough (and as was pointed out before) "nothing" reacted to the Red LED light, not even my Banggai Cardinal who was happily swimming around as it does at night.

I did see my Stomatellas (4) and my Emerald Crab (1), and a few worms but nothing to be concerned about.

Anyway enough rambling on my part.

Albert

• Like 1

I have all of the Adobe programs but use few of them and yes the learning curve on all of them is "steep" to say the least. I struggle even with Photoshop ... guess lack of time to get really into it. I used to be very good at Pagemaker but then when inDesign came about things changed so much that even with that one I am still finding new things and ways out every time I use it for writing an article or Newsletter ... They are all great but not always that intuitive out of the box. A friend of mine actually went to the Atlanta School of Graphics or something like that to learn how to really use it ...

Great animated GIF though .. love it. Thanks

Albert

That's really great! Keep at it. It's like anything else, practice makes perfect. I use Photoshop a lot as well but mostly for images and minor web stuff (web is not my strong suit, i.e. code). I use illustrator for page layout and print design. I know InDesign is tailored for such things but I started out in vector graphics so I have learned how to use illustrator for other work.

Best Wishes!

• Like 1
albertthiel

Could Coral Reefs become Sponge Reefs in the Future ?

© Leonard Ho

International research has suggested that many coral species won't survive beyond the end of this century, but marine biologists at Victoria University are offering an alternative scenario.

Link :

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/could-coral-reefs-become-sponge-reefs-in-the-future

Albert

albertthiel

That's really great! Keep at it. It's like anything else, practice makes perfect. I use Photoshop a lot as well but mostly for images and minor web stuff (web is not my strong suit, i.e. code). I use illustrator for page layout and print design. I know InDesign is tailored for such things but I started out in vector graphics so I have learned how to use illustrator for other work.

Best Wishes!

Thanks The Salt ... I'll have to look into Illustrator and figure out whether i can use it to create a better "Nano-Reef Newsletter" look. Right now I have been using the Word Template for it but I am sure there is a better way to do it ... Appreciate the input .. BTW I have the Adobe Creative Cloud monthly subscription which gives me ALL of the Adobe programs for a mere $29.99 a month, and considering that each of those programs cost more than 12 x times that price, I guess that is the best way to get all high end Adobe software and free updates and upgrades. A lot less than having to buy the full versions as stand-alone ones.

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

This is great! ... ... (MH Marine Community)

Yes I thought so too, so made a few posts to it ... getting to point however that I seem to be on so many forums and blogs that it is becoming very time consuming :( I don't mind helping or posting but when it takes up hours and hours it does get a bit much ... :)

But that one I am staying on, I may give up some of the FB groups I am on though, except the one I created for Nano Reef Aquariums,

Albert

• Like 1

BTW ... I think I posted that I eradicated a Kenya Tree with the Majano Wand not long ago, well guess what, a branch or tentacle must have fallen off before it was zapped as now the darn thing is regrowing about 3 inches lower on that same rock and a little to the right of it and real close to the sand.

Albert we came out with a mini Majano Wand for people with Nano's or just anyone who wants to put their hand in the tank with a much smaller device which is much more maneuverable as the entire thing is submersible, (as the larger unit is also)

We ordered a few hundred of them from the factory but they are not ready yet, I will let you know when we have them.

WOW! That is an odd one.

I collect coronetfish here in NY in the late summer. They drift up on the Gulf Stream and are not that rare. We don't get blue ones but they are very colorful, skinny and about a foot long. I don't take them home as they are very hard to keep alive. Even the public aquariums don't take them for that reason

• Like 2

While in town this afternoon I pop into a shop that just has a few tanks of marines. From time to time I have picked up the odd bargain from there and this afternoon was one of those times. I spotted a Porites encrusting (is there any other type) on a rock.

The manager had little idea of what it was but like a honest guy I informed him what it was and that it probably had some other coral on it that had died something like Christmas tree worms I would imagine. I got it for 310 about $15 to you.

The rock measures approx 6"x4". I don't think I have seen such a bright green Porites before. In the shop it glowed under the TMC LED tiles it was under. I think a green Porites is quite rare well in the UK anyway. Perhaps you get to see them more in the US?

Porities001_zps6423a866.jpg

post-36815-0-13400100-1369231401_thumb.jpg

I got this one as a hitchhiker

Kinda looks like yours Les?

Rick

• Like 2
albertthiel

WOW! That is an odd one.

Yes it sure is .. but then we both know that there are many many such odd ones.

Albert

albertthiel

Albert we came out with a mini Majano Wand for people with Nano's or just anyone who wants to put their hand in the tank with a much smaller device which is much more maneuverable as the entire thing is submersible, (as the larger unit is also)

We ordered a few hundred of them from the factory but they are not ready yet, I will let you know when we have them.

I collect coronetfish here in NY in the late summer. They drift up on the Gulf Stream and are not that rare. We don't get blue ones but they are very colorful, skinny and about a foot long. I don't take them home as they are very hard to keep alive. Even the public aquariums don't take them for that reason

Well that is good news indeed as for the smaller tanks the existing one may indeed be a bit too long although I did not find it that difficult use but I guess a smaller one will certainly be a good addition to the range of the Majano Wands.

Well given that those fish are a foot long they would not do well even in large aquariums and as you say since they are so hard to keep alive, no wonder even Public Aquariums do not keep them and in fact doing a search I could no find one on the Georgia Aquarium site either and they sure have tanks that are large enough for them and have plenty of different types of small potential food stuff for them living in them .. Thanks for the clarification ..

Albert

Yes Rick they do indeed look the same. I think mine may well have been a hitchhiker but it has been the FLS's tank so long they didn't know what it was nor what was on it to start off with. I maye cut it through where the coral narrows before opening out again on the rock we shall see.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg
I got this one as a hitchhiker
Kinda looks like yours Les?
Rick

• Like 2

About Gobies, Shrimp Gobies, Sifter Gobies, and more and the Shrimp

Info and care

Link :

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/1/fish

Albert

Nice gobi link. I have or have had every gobi on that site, I love gobies as they are some of my favorite creatures.

One of my shrimps has gone missing which means he is digging a tunnel in the back of the tank where I can't see him as I really hardly find the gobi that kidnapped him from the other gobies. I ordered another shrimp so I will have 3. Maybe they will mate. Maybe fight, Who knows.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Nice gobi link. I have or have had every gobi on that site, I love gobies as they are some of my favorite creatures.

One of my shrimps has gone missing which means he is digging a tunnel in the back of the tank where I can't see him as I really hardly find the gobi that kidnapped him from the other gobies. I ordered another shrimp so I will have 3. Maybe they will mate. Maybe fight, Who knows.

INdeed they are great fish and with so many species and even genera it would be hard for a Hobbyist not to find one or more that they would want in their Nano-Reef IMO.

I have two, one that I see all the time (Citron Goby) and one I hardly ever see (Yellow Rose Goby).

As to your shrimp Paul, hopefully when you get the extra one in you will Goby/Shrimp peace.

I know you have quite a few in your tank and other than having to deal with Shrimp that are unfaithful to their Gobies, they all seem to be real well ... but then so do all other fish.

And here is another nice one for you (but rare) The Lemon Goby from the Caribbean

lemongoby.png

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

INFOBIT ... ...

According to several sources I came across, the Brazilian Fisheries and Wildlife Department is "said" to relax its rules on what fishes can now be exported from that Country ...

This was announced by Heiko Bleher, renowned traveller and diver and collector from Germany who is known all over the World, and has quite a few fish species named after him, at a large German Pet Industry Convention.

How this will affect the Marine Hobby is not quite clear from the declaration made by the Brazilian Minister, but knowing what the main exports from Brazil are, the largest impact will, IMO, be on the FW and Plant area, but to some degree on Marine life as well.

I am sure more info will be released in the near future ... FWIW

Albert

• Like 1