inTank Media Baskets

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Thanks Paul and yes when I think that I was at least 17 years younger then ... :)

Albert

Albert, most people age a "little" in 17 years. But amazingly enough, this picture was taken over 40 years ago, and I have not changed a bit. I still wear that same watch, have the same hair and the same tank. I can't understand it.

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/Oldtankandme.jpg.html'>Oldtankandme.jpg

• Like 2
albertthiel

Albert, most people age a "little" in 17 years. But amazingly enough, this picture was taken over 40 years ago, and I have not changed a bit. I still wear that same watch, have the same hair and the same tank. I can't understand it.

Amazing indeed, but with all your inventions maybe one of them was the "not-aging" pill, or maybe it is all those Blackworms you eat maybe :)

Albert

albertthiel

The Nano Reef Newsletter :

Newsletter # 4 was sent out this evening to all who own a hard copy of my book and to those who have paid for a subscription if they only own an e-Version, whether on this forum or others or who have purchased via a reseller.

If you should have received one and did not, please send me a PM and include your full name and your email address.

Thanks.

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Came across this Magazine which has some real good articles in it. May be available at a Petsmart or Petco ...

coralandreefMag.png

• Like 2

Got some pics for you my friend. I put a 6x39 watt T5HO Current Nova Extreme Pro over the tank today. Corals in these pics are after 4 hours of the lights being on them at about 1.5' above the waterline. As compared to the lights being 2" above it before.

Hope you enjoy.

771_10151623351019029_1986162231_n.jpg

Love those neon pink rics right next to Kevin. And the lime green right behind them.

969247_10151623351039029_798531180_n.jpg

944630_10151623351319029_2058951185_n.jp

I am in love with zoas right now.

954841_10151623351299029_1550570873_n.jp

He is Poppin now, PE is amazing, and the color is turning more lilac.

383499_10151623351384029_986481658_n.jpg

Monster

943282_10151623351474029_1606264029_n.jp

Blenny Corner

968799_10151623351479029_2016021399_n.jp

There are a few things there for sale, need my sandbed back!

970019_10151623351544029_232014279_n.jpg

Food?

944123_10151623351604029_1234481098_n.jp

Skrimp!

922858_10151623351639029_2044058806_n.jp

Wheres' the Grub?!

425342_10151623351714029_115272025_n.jpg

I don't see no food!

936872_10151623351799029_225300748_n.jpg

Lobo is so happy, this was at 9:45 right before lights out and they have been up for about 5 hours at this point. I think it's all positive right now.

944565_10151623351819029_104814746_n.jpg

Acans

971873_10151623351904029_1709954972_n.jp

933889_10151623351989029_2031377609_n.jp

Side Shot

400558_10151623352039029_178142653_n.jpg

SPS Side Shot

576715_10151623352049029_1154375098_n.jp

Monti has green polyps it looks like.

943157_10151623352159029_2068609022_n.jp

ORA Green Tip Scrips

941797_10151623352189029_1495337787_n.jp

So much PE!

969140_10151623352184029_1162413192_n.jp

582104_10151623352419029_1956818696_n.jp

Almost 1 colony now, the rock is fully encrusted between them

969403_10151623352449029_1166592305_n.jp

Bird Foot

954640_10151623352509029_2028745885_n.jp

Fatty Dendro.

576827_10151623352549029_1555932728_n.jp

Coloring back up after getting knocked about by the blenny.

184412_10151623352619029_686060812_n.jpg

Happy in the back corner, for sale or trade

418984_10151623352634029_92015939_n.jpg

Side Shot

954651_10151623352704029_1962101831_n.jp

Full System

936222_10151623353074029_1260490832_n.jp

FTS

1549_10151623352864029_758140651_n.jpg

Hard to get around the glare until I can lower them closer then 1.5' from the tank

9762_10151623352869029_2060001033_n.jpg

Kind of distorted

943039_10151623352874029_1149215327_n.jp

All for a few days have to work and rest after the pulling of the 4 teeth. So may not be on until Tuesday/Wednesday. But I will be dropping in. Thanks for looking and appreciating the pictures. I appreciate that you let me post them here on your thread. ;)

• Like 3
albertthiel

Absolutely Gorgeous Looking Randi ... and post your pics anytime ... I guess those new 5's do make a difference indeed looking at these pics and previous ones you posted. Good for you (and for your corals of course) ...

Feel better too ... I know the pain, I have a number of them pulled on the same day too a long time ago and then had some surgery done on the gums on top of it, so yes ... it HURTS !

Albert

• Like 2

It's fun though! The meds make things fun!

Thanks the corals are poppin and the clam is pleased, Having 2 more blues one being a Current 460nm actinic bulb helps with the color pop.

• Like 1
albertthiel

It's fun though! The meds make things fun!

Thanks the corals are poppin and the clam is pleased, Having 2 more blues one being a Current 460nm actinic bulb helps with the color pop.

:) ... I am sure they do ... It's when their effect wears off that you know what they were really good for ... and remember they're not Randi's Candy :)

Albert

Hello, Albert.

I have missed reading your thread. I just caught up on your posts and now I get an error stating I have run out of "Likes" for the day!! :lol:

Your, Les, Paul's and all the members comments are entertaining and informative. I really enjoy reading here.

I just popped in to let you know that I am really enjoying your newsletter. The articles are substantial and don't just skim the surface of a subject. Great stuff! Thank you.

I have a question regarding Zoas and Palys. There are quite a few of them in my nano that have started to change in appearance. The tentacles are getting longer and thinner. The color of the tentacles are also less intense. I have done some research on this and as is the norm for this hobby there is conflicting information as to what causes this. Some say it is too much flow, some write it is not enough flow, others say not enough nutrition and yet others say not enough light. :unsure:

I would like to know if you have any comments on this issue. Thank you, Albert.

As a thank you gift here is a new picture of my Yellowhead Jawfish and a Molly Miller Blenny from my 125 g tank.

IMG_0090-XL.jpg

IMG_0044-XL.jpg

IMG_0046-XL.jpg

IMG_0050-XL.jpg

• Like 4
albertthiel

I went out boating this weekend but the water is fifty degrees. I didn't even to get my feet in to collect anything. But my tank is crying for mud and amphipods. Hopefully next week it will go up to 55 or so and I can get to the tide pool.

Somebody wants to come collecting.

Yes it sure looks like she IS ready to start collecting with you ... but I'd give her a few years before she's ready though :)

And yes I am sure that in a few weeks the water will be just fine for collecting as at some point the weather HAS to get better in the North East ... you people have had enough bad one already, far too much .... but as I said no rush for me ...

And do give Greta a Big Hug ... Beautiful she is

Albert

Albert I have a large Styrofoam box just for you. What type of things would you like? I think it is to soon for tiny horseshoe crabs and I doubt you want any of those anyway. I see them by the thousands as small as 1/4" or less. I will get grass shrimp, worms, Japanese shore crabs, mud, snails, amphipods, seaweeds, hermit crabs and there is an

Osprey nest there but they frown on collecting those Sea Eagles.

• Like 2

I had to go to a town this afternoon about 50mins drive away to pick up my latest eBay steam engine win. Anyway on my return I past a LFS advertising marines outside so I pulled over and popped in. Imagine my surprise when there behind the counter was a guy I had not seen for many years who was the owner of the shop. Tony had been the manager of a large LFS not far from me many years ago but decided to get his own shop and I had not seen him since.

Monday is not the best day to visit most LFS's as over the weekend they have often sold their best stuff. However Tony sold me 2 corals for a LARGE discount and even gave me a free frag from his show tank taken from a large colony of live blue coral which of course when live is not blue at all but a light brown colour. The blue colour is only the skeleton under the living coral and even though it is classed as a soft coral it looks and feels more like an encrusting hard coral.

The 2 corals I got are a nice plate coral and a colony of trumpet corals which were not doing so well in his soft coral tank. All 3 are currently being acclimatised to my tank as I type. The only problem I now have is finding a place for each. Pic's will follow in a few days when they are settled in.

Les.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Hello, Albert.

I have missed reading your thread. I just caught up on your posts and now I get an error stating I have run out of "Likes" for the day!! :lol:

Your, Les, Paul's and all the members comments are entertaining and informative. I really enjoy reading here.

I just popped in to let you know that I am really enjoying your newsletter. The articles are substantial and don't just skim the surface of a subject. Great stuff! Thank you.

I have a question regarding Zoas and Palys. There are quite a few of them in my nano that have started to change in appearance. The tentacles are getting longer and thinner. The color of the tentacles are also less intense. I have done some research on this and as is the norm for this hobby there is conflicting information as to what causes this. Some say it is too much flow, some write it is not enough flow, others say not enough nutrition and yet others say not enough light. :unsure:

I would like to know if you have any comments on this issue. Thank you, Albert.

As a thank you gift here is a new picture of my Yellowhead Jawfish and a Molly Miller Blenny from my 125 g tank.

Thanks for stopping by as you regularly do eitallent .... and thanks for the kind words on the Newsletter. They are appreciated. Each issue just adds more pages basically to what the book already contains as either the topics are more detail on what is already in it, or are additional ones that are not in the book itself.

Love the shots of the Jawfish and the Molly Miller ... you sure have a real nice collection of different species in your tank and everything seems to be doing so well. Power to you !

Now on the question you had ... It is a very difficult one to answer and some of the reasons are that Hobbyists tend to lump all Zoas together and fail to realize that there are different species (named or not) and go by common names which really do not mean much in terms of understanding the needs, care, requirements and behavior of Zoas and Palys which are also all lumped together without considering that when they are different species they requirements and behavior may vary somewhat, perhaps not a lot, but vary nevertheless.

I have both Zoas and Palys in my tank and they behave totally differently from reach other. Even the so called Fire and Ice Zoas and others I have do not react the same way all the time, or even at the same hour or time of day ... some tend to open up sooner than others for instance, and others get larger on some days than on others even though I do not change anything to the tank conditions.

My one kind of Palys rarely closes even when there is is very little light in the room and when the tank lights are off, and will not close until the room is totally in the dark and where I can then observe them with the Critter LED Torch.

I do notice that Zoas especially (at least in my tank) seem to go through "phases" dependiing on the time of day and how long the ights have been on, and whether I have been feeding the fish and some of the food particles got trapped by them. Note that Palys seem to react more strongly to that than Zoas and may ball up, whereas the Zoas may just look a little smaller and their tentacles may turn more inwards than they normally are during the day, but and this a big but, not all of the Zoas react that way, some change fare less and some may change a little more. So as I said different species (not ID'ed) appear to react in different ways than others and so when you read what some write about theirs on forums you really do not know what particular species it was and whether all of their Zoas reacted in that manner, as they may either have just a large number of one species, or a number of different species,, but when they write about them they just refer to all of them as Zoas or Palys ...

Long explanation ... but food for thought I hope that does shed some light on why you see different behaviors and reactions either on different days or even on the same day but at different times.

No one to my knowledge has done the kind of study that would explain the behavioral and appearance changes if if their is some study out here it would probably only apply to probably one species of them, or maybe a few but not all of them.

Hope this helps a little.

Albert

• Like 1

My reef is packed with rock and 2/3rds of the tank is against a wall as it is in a closet under stairs so I can't see what is going on in the back of most of the tank. But there is a large mound of gravel about 6" high back there and it is screwing up my aquascape. I know what it is from and I think I made a mistake putting them in there. I have two pistal shrimp that are hosting watchman gobies. One of them was always in the front but now I think they are either both right next to each other or mating. I am not sure how that happens when they are living with fish or even if it happens. Those two fish won't mate because they are two different species but the shrimp are the same. I also ordered another one but I am going to try to cancel that shrimp as they dig to much.

You can see in this picture the mound one shrimp made on the left side of the tank. It was interesting there as I could watch the shrimp and gobies, but now I never see them as they are in the back and covering much of the rock with gravel. The new mound is behind where you see the copperband in this picture. Last year I raised the entire reef structure and supported it on artificial rock pylons and I got good circulation under the structure. Now the shrimps screwed up my plan. Hopefully soon they will get bored with looking at that blank wall back there and will again move to the front. If they are spawning, I would also like to see that as I am a shrimp perve.

6_zps8d10c4c9.jpg

2013-03-26093219_zpsdd5efeed.jpg

• Like 1
albertthiel

Albert I have a large Styrofoam box just for you. What type of things would you like? I think it is to soon for tiny horseshoe crabs and I doubt you want any of those anyway. I see them by the thousands as small as 1/4" or less. I will get grass shrimp, worms, Japanese shore crabs, mud, snails, amphipods, seaweeds, hermit crabs and there is an

Osprey nest there but they frown on collecting those Sea Eagles.

Water and mud and mud and pods and maybe some of the shrimp, and I think the rest you can send to one of those on RC who may need it for their DSB :-) I do not trust Hermits crabs ... too unpredictable IMO .... and the Japanese shore crabs ... well you know what to do with those :-O

And on the snails ... not sure what kind they are so if they are like the ones you have Paul I'll pass on those too ... and thanks for collecting whenever the time is right for it ... I appreciate it

Albert

OK I will work on it. I would probably get arrested for mailing those crabs anyway and they are invasive, Those things invade everyplace, I even find them in my water pick and coffee maker.

• Like 1

Hope this helps a little.

Albert

Yes, this helps a lot. There are many inexplicable things in this hobby and not much research. It seems the science has to catch up to the hobbyist's observations. ;)

This has happened over the span of a month or a little longer. I know that the Zoas will reach around each other for light making the body elongate. I have some Zoas on the vertical sides of the rock that have grown in under the parent colony and the have elongated bodies so that they get a share of the light. However, even these Zoas that are reaching for more light have nice compact skirts.

What I noticed is that some of the Zoas are elongating their tentacles ( skirts ) even when they are horizontal to the light and have short polyp bodies. They still seem healthy and only the color of the elongated tentacles are diminished. The oral disc remains bright. So I am not worried just curious.

Also, some of the Palys are exhibiting the same elongation of the tentacles. It is hard to capture in pictures but here are a few in case you are interested.

These are what I would consider normal, compact skirt.

IMG_0005-XL.jpg

These are getting a bit longer and starting to curl:

IMG_0036-XL.jpg

And the Paly which Skipper is next to is at the top of the rock and its tentacles have elongated to such a degree that they are curly. :) (I do not think this is a bad thing. It is just that this is a deviation from what it used to be.

IMG_0023-XL.jpg

• Like 1
albertthiel

I had to go to a town this afternoon about 50mins drive away to pick up my latest eBay steam engine win. Anyway on my return I past a LFS advertising marines outside so I pulled over and popped in. Imagine my surprise when there behind the counter was a guy I had not seen for many years who was the owner of the shop. Tony had been the manager of a large LFS not far from me many years ago but decided to get his own shop and I had not seen him since.

Monday is not the best day to visit most LFS's as over the weekend they have often sold their best stuff. However Tony sold me 2 corals for a LARGE discount and even gave me a free frag from his show tank taken from a large colony of live blue coral which of course when live is not blue at all but a light brown colour. The blue colour is only the skeleton under the living coral and even though it is classed as a soft coral it looks and feels more like an encrusting hard coral.

The 2 corals I got are a nice plate coral and a colony of trumpet corals which were not doing so well in his soft coral tank. All 3 are currently being acclimatised to my tank as I type. The only problem I now have is finding a place for each. Pic's will follow in a few days when they are settled in.

Les.

Yes indeed that is what happens sometimes ... after years and years one runs into someone not communicated with like you and I on this Forum I guess ... and like Luis Mercado as I posted the other day.

And I guess that meet went real well indeed as you got some great corals and frags and a super discount it would seem. Good for you.

Finding a place is going to be an issue indeed as you have so much in the tank already .... so many corals ... so little space :-o

Guess soon it will be time for an upgrade again :)

Albert

• Like 1

UPGRADE! Noooooooooo! Am not listening am not listening am not listening........... na na na na na na na! :wacko:

BTW I said I got a torch when in fact it was a large colony of candy cain. :rolleyes:

Yes indeed that is what happens sometimes ... after years and years one runs into someone not communicated with like you and I on this Forum I guess ... and like Luis Mercado as I posted the other day.

And I guess that meet went real well indeed as you got some great corals and frags and a super discount it would seem. Good for you.

Finding a place is going to be an issue indeed as you have so much in the tank already .... so many corals ... so little space :-o

Guess soon it will be time for an upgrade again :)

Albert

• Like 1