Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My 2.5g

rleon3003

my life always goes on like this, when something good happens, something bad will follow it and visversa. well nothing bad has happened while setting up the tank and everything, so i was expecting something bad to happen. it finally came. the hood has warped. it curves up enough for light to leak out the front on the canopy. so im not sure wat to do right now. im thinking of just glueing the canopy hood down so i cant open it and so light doesnt leak out and ill just lift the whole canopy when i need to do something in the tank. ill post a pic of how bad it is in a little while. but other than that, i have a lot of pods in the tank. also i forgot that the tank gets too hot. ive seen it get to 85 and thats with 1x27w. i need 2x18w. i need a fan.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

does that opening help keep the heat down any? I have 4 little blocks at each corner that hold the cover above the canopy about a 1/4" so some air can get through, but I am also using a fan. Tank looks good.

does that opening help keep the heat down any? I have 4 little blocks at each corner that hold the cover above the canopy about a 1/4" so some air can get through, but I am also using a fan. Tank looks good.

i dont think it does help any. i think i will glue it down sice the whole canopy aint that heavy and its pretty easy to just lift up. Ill just stick a fan in the back of the tank and have it blow in the tank.

ReefApprentice

When you do put in a fan don't aim it at the water surface, it will evaporate in no time. I would have the fan set so it sucks the air out and drill a small hole on the other side so it can suck cool air in.

Alex

When you do put in a fan don't aim it at the water surface, it will evaporate in no time. I would have the fan set so it sucks the air out and drill a small hole on the other side so it can suck cool air in.

Alex

i was planning it on doing it that way but then i thought why not just put a small fan behind the tank(like normal small fans that anybody uses around the house) and have it blow into the hood. like that i wont see anything on the side of the tank.

yesterday I had my lights and fan running for 8 hours and today I had the cover completely off (b/c I was cutting some of it off to make it smaller) for the entire day and my evaporation was almost identical. My fan (80mm computer case fan) blows out of the tank.

so i did what ReefApprentice said. exactly how he said it. or im gonna do it like that tomorrow. today, i wired the 2nd light thats going in and its drying rite now(i siliconed it in cuz i couldnt find the right short screws). tomorrow im gonna put the fan in and im gonna wait for 1 week till my lights get in. i ordered 1x18w sunpaq daylight and 1x18w sunpaq actinic and a fuge light for a total of $50. by next week ill say hello to some coral.

i just finished hooking everything up. right now i have 2x27w daylights just for the temp test. im starting now with the tank at 81.3* im gonna c how hot it gets with the 2 27w lights on and the fan. pics to come later.

EDIT: i started with the fan sucking the air out but within 5 min i got tired of the loud annoying noise so i meade it blow in and its a lot more quite.

im not sure if the fan really helped the way i set it up. right now the temp is 82.5*. i gotta remember that these are 2x27w daylights. i think the 18w will be cooler and the actinic will be cooler but im not sure. but here are some pix of how i have it. one side i have the fan on and the other theres just holes.

DSC05643.jpg

DSC05644.jpg

DSC05645.jpg

DSC05646.jpg

DSC05649.jpg

DSC05650.jpg

try opening those vents more, i'm not sure how much air is flowing through the holes, but try cutting a bigger hole where the fan is and have the fan blow outward so the heat is pulled away from the tank.

pico%20008.jpg

thats what im thinking of doing my fan. i dont think the way i have it helps so im planing on putting the fan in the back and leaving the holes for more ventalation. i think ill do that riight now. do you have your fan blowing or sucking?

yeah, you want a negative pressure inside the canopy so the hot air doesn't get trapped inside and recirculates to raise the temperature. it's the same concept with computers, you want more outtake fans than intake, it's much more efficient.

yeah, you want a negative pressure inside the canopy so the hot air doesn't get trapped inside and recirculates to raise the temperature. it's the same concept with computers, you want more outtake fans than intake, it's much more efficient.

yea the tank does run cooler with the fan sucking air out of the hood. the temp has been running at about 80 with 2x27w daylight bulbs. i found another fan just like the one im using and im thinking about also adding that one to see how that temperature goes. im still not sure if ill do it but imthinking about it.

DSC05654.jpg

DSC05655.jpg

DSC05659.jpg

DSC05660.jpg

DSC05661.jpg

thinking of scooting the fan more to the left and putting another fan on the right cuz then the AC is on the right. I changed the rockwork again. went with the low long instead of the high short rockwork. and the temp is around 80*. yay! haha

thanx. i think im gonna go ahead and add the second fan just incase it does get hot cut its still a little hot here in SoCalifornia. when the winter comes ill probably take a fan off or add a heater. idk.

^^Sounds like a good idea.

I wish I lived in So.Cal! lol Here in Texas it is still in the 90's! Thank god it is going to be in the 50's tomorrow :D

texx

^^Sounds like a good idea.

I wish I lived in So.Cal! lol Here in Texas it is still in the 90's! Thank god it is going to be in the 50's tomorrow :D

texx

what a big temp change. haha. one day youll have your fans on and the other your heater on. haha. our temps are starting to drop. hopefully it will get cooler here pretty quick.

I am not quite as worried about heat, 48.9ºF outside, 77.9ºF inside right now, 41% humidity. My pico sits around 80º pretty steady. I am more concerned with shipping, shipping to Canada is completely out of the question from the US and shipping within Canada is very limited.

I am more concerned with shipping, shipping to Canada is completely out of the question from the US and shipping within Canada is very limited.

???

sorry, I have a hard time getting livestock to put in my tank. Most of you guys need to worry about temps and stuff, I need to worry about how I am going to get anything to keep in my tank.

Archived