Cultivated Reef

My 2.5g

rleon3003

thanx for the help. 27w it is!

well i gave the tank a few more coats and now i cant see light thru it. the outside of the tank looks crappy where i painted but wen u look at it from the inside its great. EXCEPT! theres a small air bubble or something. i dont no how it got the there or if it even is a airbubble. but it looks like one but its small. im gonna leave it like that and maybe some coraline will grow over it. but it looks good.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i new i forgot to say something. no there r no pix cuz my dad took the camera to work. wen he gets home ill take some of how they look rite now.

and i was thinking, should i do wat tmendeol did in his pico with the surface skimmer? link i was thinking about making a overflow box and setting it up so the AC would suck water from there but i thought about it and im not that good at siliconing and im afraid to try that. but if i can ill do that. or should i do this simple surface skimmer? thanx for the help.

wow. i just saw outcold720's tank thread and i like how he made his overflow. nice, simple and cheap(my favorite part). link its just a pvc pipe cut in half and little slots for the overflow. im thinking of putting that in the back left corner of my tank and set up the AC just how he set his up.

here are pix of the tank. um...the paint my dad brought me was black paint for vinyl and fabric. he said that any piant will work and this was the only paint he had. so once the paint was done drying, the edges started to curl themselve up and peel off, but only a little bit, but better safe than sorry, so i took tape and tape the edges so it would peel back any further.

DSC05400.jpg

DSC05404.jpg

Looking good! The only problem is, is that when you put water in it and some gets on the back, the paint will just peel away.

Also, do you have a pic with a coke can or something for size?

Thanks!

texx

one thing i did when i set up mine was use a razor blade to scrape off the excess silicone near the corners cuz i felt like it intruded too much into the front glass. just an idea.

here r the size comparison pix. the first is next to the spray paint can my dad brought and in front is a $1 bill. and the second is a measuring tape. 12". the tank is 12"lx6"wx8"h.

DSC05405.jpg

DSC05408.jpg

i do like the idea of taking a razor blade to the tank, but will the removal of some silicon possibly make the tank crash and fall apart wen completely filled up? i would like to just make the silicone lines striaght in the front? will it break and everything fall apart? thanx for the idea.

Obsessed Reefer

Man. That's all that runs through your head... "sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp sexy shrimp "

Well I could say the same. all I'm thinking about is the Red Strip Goby... lol

^Yeah I know that what I was worried about too, but as long as you keep them well fed they will be fine. Just drop a little flake food in there a day.

texx

so we went to lowes and bought the wood we needed. so maybe tomorrow we will go to my dads friends house to c if he can cut the wood and possibly put the canopy together rite there. if not then i guess we can pick it up a day later. we also got the wires i need for the light. so i can start working on that today. we also got a black pipe so we can make an overflow "tube" thing like outcold720's overflow, but im gonna put this in the left corner. we're going away for the weekend, so probably by the beginning of next week it will be up. hopefully everything goes well.

i didnt cut any silicon away from the actual joint, i just scraped some off so that it wouldnt be so wide. i just ran a razor straight up and down the silicon about where it started to get thicker (the point where the silicon goes from just a film to an actual layer) and then scraped over to that line and it came off pretty nicely. my tank hasnt exploded yet so i wouldnt worry about as long as you dont start scraping in the actual joint.

well, ill leave the silicone how it is. im afraid i might do it wrong and it really doesnt bother me that much. so we didnt go to my dads friends house(his name is karl by the way, well call him karl.) i called him on the phone and said that we can go tomorrow or wenever. were leaving tomorrow to my aunts house and wont be back till sunday. so monday were going to karls house to get the hood done. it might take him a day or two. so by tuesday or wednesday the tank will be up and cycleing.

so i told u guys that i bought the things but didnt show any pix and i just felt like talking. so here r the things i bought for the canopy and hood.

DSC05418.jpg

DSC05419.jpg

DSC05420.jpg

DSC05423.jpg

theres all the pieces of wood for the canopy and stand thing. the black pipe is for the overflow. i already had the light and the last pick is how the stand will be but except on the bottom of the tank. not really a stand but the tank stands on it. i just wanted that to cover the black trim stuff. tomorrow im pretty sure im going to Karls house to c if he can make the canopy and stand. ill keep u guys posted but for now, thats all there is, and there isnt. anymore

Looks good so far...

Any updates on the hood?

NO! i was suppose to go monday but my dad didnt feel like taking me and i cant go today so i have to wait till wednesday to c if my dad feels like taking me. wen there is an update ill post pix and w/e.

well, like i said before, i want an overflow that will lead to the AC. my plan is to get the pipe and make it out of that but wen i was messing with my 55g, i realized that in the overflow box in there, there is some black acrylic. i never new wat it was for and i dont think it serves a purpose in the overflow where nobdy sees it. so im gonna see if karl can cut that with his table saw and make an overflow out of that. if not then it will be the pipe.

Archived