Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My 2.5 Gallon Pico Reef

Obsessed Reefer

Obsessed Reefer

timon.jpg

It Starts

Ok. You all probably know me for my 12G nano cube that everyone said would crash in a week. Well 6 months later, today, it is still up, and gonna get better soon. But today I went out and got a 2.5 gallon tank. I plan on starting it probably end of this coming week, as I need to get a spot for it. But here are my plans.

• 2.5 Gallon AGA
  • Glass Top
  • AquaClear 20 Modded into a fuge
  • Some type of PC light, still figuring that out
  • ~.5 Inch sand bed
  • Select pieces of LR from my cube
  • Red Strip Goby
  • Misc CUC
  • Misc Coral

Now for some pics.

The first three are of my tank going through a leak test. All went well

100_0254.jpg

100_0255.jpg

100_0256.jpg

The rest are of me modifying the aquaclear into a fuge. I followed Malawiandude's Guide which can be found here

Take out the media holder, and snap, or in my case, cut them apart.

100_0257.jpg

Figure out where you want to put the small piece.

100_0258.jpg

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obsessed Reefer

Apply a liberal amount of silicone.

100_0260.jpgPress into place.

100_0261.jpg

In order for the baffle to fit how I wanted it to, I had to trim it.

100_0262.jpg

I also cut the top off, cus it would have not allowed me to the the cheato into the fuge part.

100_0263.jpg

I then glued the handle how I wanted it and glued the baffle into place

100_0264.jpg

It's done.

100_0265.jpg

Well the first stage of my 2.5 Pico is complete. Stay tuned for part 2. Next week on My 2.5 Gallon Pico Reef. B)

what are you planning on putting in your filter? i have mine filled with live rock rubble but thats just cuz i dont know what else to do with it.

cool... i was thinking about starting a 2.5g with a AC fuge. how much did you pay for your 2.5g? i seen them for $10, same price as a 10g where i seen them

Obsessed Reefer

circusordie16: I plan on just cheato. and Sponge and carbon if I need it.

cool... i was thinking about starting a 2.5g with a AC fuge. how much did you pay for your 2.5g? i seen them for $10, same price as a 10g where i seen them

I paid 10 bucks for the 2.5, and it came with a glass top. Petsmart.

At petco their like 20 and no glass top.

AC20 was 23 bucks also at petsmart

Go with 18w PCs, great fit over a 2.5g.

1x 18w would work for easy stuff, but I'd really recommend 2x 18w. Everything in my tank loves the light. I've even considered doing 3x 18w.

Go with 18w PCs, great fit over a 2.5g.

1x 18w would work for easy stuff, but I'd really recommend 2x 18w. Everything in my tank loves the light. I've even considered doing 3x 18w.

definitely go 2x18w. while it doesn't fit over the tank with just legs, you can rest the back of the light on the filter and put the front end on legs. works great, and with 14.5 wpg you can put anything that will fit in there, lol. i've got a 12" coralife 36w over mine, and i LOVE it.

Obsessed Reefer

Ok. Well Episode 2 is here.

The AquaClear is done, just has to dry for like 3 days, which is good. My uncle is gonna help me cut the top for the filter to fit. I decided on the Coralife 12 Inch 2.18 Watt light. I plan on buying an actinic bulb from NanoTuners to replace one.

• 2.5 Gallon AGA

• Glass Top

• AquaClear 20 Modded into a fuge

• Coralife 12" 2.18 Light

• ~.5 Inch sand bed

• Select pieces of LR from my cube

• Red Strip Goby

• Misc CUC

• Misc Coral

Ok. I am changing the AC Mod. I am ripping out the baffle. It's way to small for cheato. If I need a sponge or carbon, I'll get one of those "Nano Filters"

Obsessed Reefer

Ok. Well I got the glass cut and I pickeed up the Berlin airlift 60. Tomorrow I'm returning it. Wont fit the back chambers. Guess I'll be picking up the SeaClone 100

Obsessed, when do you think you will add the LR/LS?

Sleepy, it could be used as a Dwarf tank but you will need to put a sponge over the intake tube. Make sure you research a ton! A good website is seahorse.org I am irishtexan over there.

texx

Obsessed Reefer

Ok. So Lets see where I'm at. I think I'm getting the light soon. But now I think I'm getting the Dual Satellite.

I'm gonna get LS, LR. and water from my cube, only problem is that my cube only has 10.8 pounds of live rock. So I might have to pick some up and let it mini cycle for like a week. my lfs has LR rubble in their display tanks.

Coral is gonna be stuff from my cube, since I'm planning an anemone for it.

Fish is most likely a red strip goby.

Pics to come in a min.

Archived