Coral Vue Hydros

PPE ? Could be....

The Propagator

Jon in SW Ohio

To add to the confusion, Protopalythoa is no longer a genus, they've been merged into Palythoa. But yes, People Eaters are Zoanthus gigantus.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
mahi mahi boy
i was just interested to see what the growth of a zoa is like from and exp hobbiest rather a nov.

ADAM

If you look in his sig, and if I recall correctly, he tells the yields his palys get in his mature tank. I think he said a polyp a month. But stuff has to stabilize and find its niche in an established system like that..before they go critical (mass) :lol: ...and every polyp has its own growth rate genes. I'm guessing anyway.

the frag master

well living here in florida i can only say i see these all the time in and around bridges, inlet coves, a spot calle dpeanut island, and othe rplaces. this coral is widely available to me and i have many polyps of this. great looking coral.

the frag master
where bro? i will grab some tomorrow.

hey this is fragmologist, pm me on here. i am not going to reveal my location of collection of this item, but it is somewhere off of singer island. peanut island can also be a place to find them but not as reliable. jsut make ure that if you go to signer island that the old farts dont call the cops on you, they really get ###ed when we go on their "prestigeous ***p hole of a beach"

The Propagator

Put up or shut up homey. :) Pics please.

If they were all over Florida I would think my collector and all the other collectors would ave them on the market by now.

But I hope they are !

Since you have revealed the location I think I will let my diver know. That way if they are I can get a but load !

All they need to know is a general location and they should be scattered through out that area.

THANK YOU !!

:)

WAIT A MINUTE......

SINGER ISLAND?

Dude your on crack I think. Singer island is nothing but MARINA on all sides.

You'll get run down by a boat diving there. Not to mention all the polution in that area from the boat traffic.

I know zoanthids can grow in weird spots but I dont see that as being one of them?

ESPECIALY in or around a fresh water "inlet".

Ulness you mean on the open oceanside where there is hardly a rock and all sand?

Adam:

I get around a polyp every 3-4 weeks growth from them when all is going good.

mahi mahi boy

^^^ If you look at the satellite map in google you can see it's a lagoon w/ a butt load of fresh water inlets from all kinds of residential and golf course canals. I see the little peanut island, and that's the closest to the ocean right at the mouth of that lagoon. The only bridge I see is a blue heron bridge that crosses the lagoon. What's out at those jeties that go into the ocean? Do paly's & zoanthids even live in lagoons? We'll be waiting on pics. I've lived near lagoons before, but on the gulf side.....they get really cold in the winter too.

the frag master

you two are really dumb. you really think im oging to give out my secret spots. on signer island there is a reef about 5 miles out, i got there. and trust me, i have lived in florida all my life and i have even been diving for most of it 9i started when i was about 12 with snorkelling). i have 8 frags of this coral in my tank currently, got 3 frags today. i also got a few othe roclor zoos, pics are coming up by tonight im really busy.

you two are really dumb.

Please lets at least try to act like adults or at least subadults(i dont think any children would be able to afford a reef tank, or go diving and collecting corals). Post the #$%@ pictures and this will be settled....... And Dont cut anybody down especially without posting the #%^# pictures.

the frag master
Please lets at least try to act like adults or at least subadults(i dont think any children would be able to afford a reef tank, or go diving and collecting corals). Post the #$%@ pictures and this will be settled....... And Dont cut anybody down especially without posting the #%^# pictures.

hey i didnt mean that as a sorta saying look u idiots, i meant it as look, do you think im reallythat dumb to give up my spots. i didnt mean for it to come off sounding bad, and my appologies about that. as for pictures im going to wait for the polyps to fully open so you all can see. brassmonkey will be the only one to find out where they are, or at least he will get a small frag for being in my reef lcub, if i get a good growth rate ill start a lsit for them. thanks

^^^ If you look at the satellite map in google you can see it's a lagoon w/ a butt load of fresh water inlets from all kinds of residential and golf course canals. I see the little peanut island, and that's the closest to the ocean right at the mouth of that lagoon. The only bridge I see is a blue heron bridge that crosses the lagoon. What's out at those jeties that go into the ocean? Do paly's & zoanthids even live in lagoons? We'll be waiting on pics. I've lived near lagoons before, but on the gulf side.....they get really cold in the winter too.

that isnt the only bridge, if you look at signer island, youll see pga blvd, that has a small bridge. this is how i get to my spot. those jetties have tons of snapper and grouper that my firends and i catch (both ways, spearfishing (in season only of course) and by fishing pole)). :) as for the blue herron bridge and peanut island, i have caught so many coral banded shrimp and pepermint shrimp i coudl open my own freakin shrimp wholesaler on ebay lol. i think the website is www.peanutisland.com that should tell aobut hats located around it. hth

Hey I dont think we should be promoting collecting from wild reefs especially in an aquaculture forum... If you really care about the hobby, or these animals that we keep promote tank raised livestock. Tank raised specimines have many advantages such as they are pre adapted to aquarium conditions, they have better survivability, are less likely to bring in coral predators and oh yea were not destroying the reef! Whats been taken has been taken and cannot be put back so prop it.

the frag master
neet, cool of ya to share. im goin to have to go out there with you in the future.

yea when you get your phone fixed call me up and il let you know where to met up with me and we can go. i have about 9 guys i go with at any given day, but we useually dont collect anyhting except fish, and even then those are just small wrasses that we use to keep down the pests in our tanks.

{quote} I can second the claim to seeing those in that area. Just gotta know where to find them. I have collected a variety of zoanthids around palm beach inlet. {quote}

please share abouyt the palm beach inlet. i have never been there like looking for zoos and stuff. i would jsu tlike to see where they grow and what not ( i found minein an open water reef not sheltered by anything). pm me and we can talk. i got to peanut island every 2 weeks.

Hey I dont think we should be promoting collecting from wild reefs especially in an aquaculture forum... If you really care about the hobby, or these animals that we keep promote tank raised livestock. Tank raised specimines have many advantages such as they are pre adapted to aquarium conditions, they have better survivability, are less likely to bring in coral predators and oh yea were not destroying the reef! Whats been taken has been taken and cannot be put back so prop it.

ok lets just say everyone agreed with you and stopped collecting. how else would we be able to propagate these corals, if we dont take a small frag here and there and try to aquaculture our reefs, then there will be only wild caught corals. sortaan oximoron to not want to collect but wantto promote aquacultured corals. now im not call you an oximoron jimmy, jsut your statement. im not trying to insight a verbal bashing of any member here, just stating the facts. i currently have over 50 different colors of zoos (about 2-6 polps) in a friends tank that i have collected locally. they are being aqaucultured. g2g dinner is getting cold and ill post more info later.

I think it is fine to collect some new species for aquaculture purposes, in fact I am glad to hear that because it will mean that there will be greater diveristy amongst available tank raised corals. I just didnt like the idea of people saying... So where again do i go to pick some of these exact specimines of the reef? Or can I come along next time so that I can fill my tank with cool stuff taken from the reef.

the frag master

I just didnt like the idea of people saying... So where again do i go to pick some of these exact specimines of the reef? Or can I come along next time so that I can fill my tank with cool stuff taken from the reef.

big deal. i go on collection trips all the time, as long as i take jsut a few polyps here and there and i grow them to frag for local aquarists who qives a wink? i have seen nothng but responsible reef keeping by brassmonkee, he is on the local club's forum, pbmas, selling off extra coral that have been aquacultured by himself and have ben growing in his tank. its not that big of a deal, hwever you are entitled to yourown opinion and i cannt change whats integrated in your mind nor do i wish to do so, jimmy, i am with you that our reefs need to be protected and conserved as mush as possible, but this is harmless, jsut my .02

Archived