ReefCleaners.org

RICS!

Helfrichs Chick

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont have a cam, right now but would love to get some ric's i have acouple right now bout could always use more!

im in cape coral. O and i found a place with ric's for 7 bucks each ! not bad coloring eather.

I dont have a cam, right now but would love to get some ric's i have acouple right now bout could always use more!

im in cape coral. O and i found a place with ric's for 7 bucks each ! not bad coloring eather.

yeah i want some to, i live in jupiter and found a place in stuart that has cheap rics

lilredneckman
Great job at bringing this thread back! Here are recent pics of some of mine:

Floridas

8cbf8f11.jpg

Yumas

474e0d3c.jpg

Thanks! those looks great!

Amazing photography!

Hey RIC experts, I have a question about a Ricordea I recently added to my tank.

It is white with bright orange and green tips with a green mouth. A few days ago I noticed that a couple brown spots appeared on it and have not yet gone away. One of the corners look like it has peeled up and is not attached either. It is placed on the substrate in a low flow area. The tank is a AP24 gal. with a 108w light upgrade, MJ1200 in the back, and a koralia nano in the display. The tank has been running for about 2 1/2 months now and all of the water parameters are excellent.

Here are a few pics. Could there be something wrong with the ric? Placement, Flow?

2007_123007Christmas0002.jpg

2007_122707Christmas0010.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Hey RIC experts, I have a question about a Ricordea I recently added to my tank.

It is white with bright orange and green tips with a green mouth. A few days ago I noticed that a couple brown spots appeared on it and have not yet gone away. One of the corners look like it has peeled up and is not attached either. It is placed on the substrate in a low flow area. The tank is a AP24 gal. with a 108w light upgrade, MJ1200 in the back, and a koralia nano in the display. The tank has been running for about 2 1/2 months now and all of the water parameters are excellent.

Here are a few pics. Could there be something wrong with the ric? Placement, Flow?

2007_123007Christmas0002.jpg

2007_122707Christmas0010.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Well, it looks like you have a bleached ric that is recovering. Corals are called bleached when some stress has caused them to lose their zooxanthellae, the symbiotic dinoflagellate that usually resides within their tissue and does the photosynthesis for them. Altho a sign of stress, corals do recover from such incidents and the fact that yours is starting to color up again is a very good sign.

You are right to have it in low flow and, if it is currently in bright light, you might want to move it to a low light area. In addition, I think you should try feeding it, esp. as it's not photosynthesizing. I'd try something small and meaty, such as frozen Cyclopeeze, but even small particles of softened sinking pellets are usually eagerly eaten. Just don't offer it too large a food item, as it would likely spit it back out. My florida rics don't even like whole mysis--I have to chop them...

As to the discoloration, I really don't have any idea what that is. It would not sound like a good sign...can you get a closer pic? As to the detachment, this is often a shroom (and rics are shroom relatives) response to too much current--but you say you don't have that. Perhaps it's also a response to too much light...I don't know about that--or perhaps the lfs glued it poorly!

Speaking of the lfs, if it sold this to you as a "white ric" I'd be a little leery of them in general!

--Diane

Thanks Diane!

I'll try feeding it today and see how that goes.

The LFS didn't sell it as a 'white ric', they just recently opened and sell out of their display tanks as they are still setting up their coral tanks. It was $10 so I thought it was a pretty good deal. The reason why I say it is white/clear is because the lower part of the (fingers?) are whitish or clear looking. This is something I haven't seen in any other ric. The tips are extremely bright orange and green, it is actually the most vibrant colored coral I have, its the first thing you notice when you look at the tank.

I'll attempt to get a closer shot.

Edit with macro shots...

2007_12310003.jpg

2007_12310005.jpg

Thanks Diane!

I'll try feeding it today and see how that goes.

The LFS didn't sell it as a 'white ric', they just recently opened and sell out of their display tanks as they are still setting up their coral tanks. It was $10 so I thought it was a pretty good deal. The reason why I say it is white/clear is because the lower part of the (fingers?) are whitish or clear looking. This is something I haven't seen in any other ric. The tips are extremely bright orange and green, it is actually the most vibrant colored coral I have, its the first thing you notice when you look at the tank.

I'll attempt to get a closer shot.

Edit with macro shots...

2007_12310003.jpg

2007_12310005.jpg

Great new shots! It certainly looks more colored-up in these than in your previous pics, but I still think that sort of transparent quality indicates bleaching. (I could be wrong--you might look for more opinions in the coral forum...). Aside from what I'm calling bleaching, it looks nicely full and spread out, and from the macros I'm thinking that the "dark areas" you're seeing are places where the zooxanthellae are recolonizing the ric! That would be a great sign! Keep me updated, I'd like to know how things go--drop me a PM if you start another thread about it.

--Diane

Archived