Innovative Marine Aquariums

RICS!

Helfrichs Chick

forget the bib..i drooled a lil further down south. haha..j/k..maybe not...

anyways i ordered some rics (blues, orange, purples, greens) should be shipped out today. Ill post a pic when i get them acclimated. If my rics come unattached how should i go about attaching em? Glue or just let them attach themselves?

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they have absolutely no rock attached I would let them attach themselves. You can place them in a small container with rubble under them and put some mesh over the top so they stay there.

Helfrichs Chick
forget the bib..i drooled a lil further down south. haha..j/k..maybe not...

anyways i ordered some rics (blues, orange, purples, greens) should be shipped out today. Ill post a pic when i get them acclimated. If my rics come unattached how should i go about attaching em? Glue or just let them attach themselves?

Quite possibly the funniest thing I have heard in a long time! ROGLMFAO

quick question. best place for rics..sandbed or stacked up on the rockwork? i have a 70W MH on a 12 gallon aquapod if that helps.

Either place is fine, if on the sand I'd definitely mount it on a frag plug though to keep it slightly elevated off the actual sandbed. Some of the rics i have thrived in my tank midway up the rockwork and under the stock 54w PC lighting.

Helfrichs Chick

lmao my thoughts are all messed up on that subject. I have tried everything, in sand (noticed they dont split as much) and on rock. I started with a few in a 8 gallon ADA they did GREAT and were only under 72 watts of PC. They laid flat on the sand, and rocks, seemed very happy. I upgraded to my current 18 ADA and have about 30-40 now everywhere. Some on sand some on rocks. I have upgraded to a 70w Halide, and now every day for at least a few hours, they bell towards the light, as if its not enough light!?!? I have moved them to overhangs thinking maybe too much light, but they still do it. So I would say to give them lots of light, place them wherever you want and just watch to see what they do. They will show if they are not happy, or if then need something else.

Long story short answer lol!

lmao my thoughts are all messed up on that subject. I have tried everything, in sand (noticed they dont split as much) and on rock. I started with a few in a 8 gallon ADA they did GREAT and were only under 72 watts of PC. They laid flat on the sand, and rocks, seemed very happy. I upgraded to my current 18 ADA and have about 30-40 now everywhere. Some on sand some on rocks. I have upgraded to a 70w Halide, and now every day for at least a few hours, they bell towards the light, as if its not enough light!?!? I have moved them to overhangs thinking maybe too much light, but they still do it. So I would say to give them lots of light, place them wherever you want and just watch to see what they do. They will show if they are not happy, or if then need something else.

long story NO answer..lol..anyways..i think im use the "get in where you fit in" approach. :P

That's very interesting. I'm ordering my first rics tomorrow (Florida sealife inc)!!! So I've been reading up a lot about them. It seems like most informational/dealer sites I've been to say that they only do well under low light but people who have dealt with rics first hand say that they do great under almost any. I have 130w PC (65 day, 65 actinic) in a 15g tank and I'm really split as to where I should put them.

Quick question though. In your experience are rics aggressive at all?

I had a rhodactis mushroom get pushed into a corner where my rics like to hang out.. the corner of the rhodactis got melted, due to the rics, so they are aggressive.

yes they can be.

aga013.jpg

I had one just like that (page 3 in this thread in fact) but something ate it and I only had it around for about 2 weeks. :( My LFS told me it's a more rarer ric color and they haven't had one in that was that color in 3-4 years!

I had one just like that (page 3 in this thread in fact) but something ate it and I only had it around for about 2 weeks. :( My LFS told me it's a more rarer ric color and they haven't had one in that was that color in 3-4 years!

yea i seen that pic and read that it didnt make it sorry to hear that.i got that one and a tiny baby for 25$

That's very interesting. I'm ordering my first rics tomorrow (Florida sealife inc)!!! So I've been reading up a lot about them. It seems like most informational/dealer sites I've been to say that they only do well under low light but people who have dealt with rics first hand say that they do great under almost any. I have 130w PC (65 day, 65 actinic) in a 15g tank and I'm really split as to where I should put them.

Quick question though. In your experience are rics aggressive at all?

IMO they do best as far as spliting under PC so you are starting right. I have had them under MH 14K and 20K and they look great, but don't split as quickly.

8473rictank-med.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived