ReefCleaners.org

Koden's 98 Gallon Custom

kinetic

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Twice a day should be fine. I feed every few days, cos I'm not used to this whole "feeding pets every day" thing. He's fine, so far. Got a few flecks of ich (not lympho), and it went away, so I have to assume that his bold coloration and strong swimming are signs that he's still doing well. It's really my goal to feed them more, though. I'm just too lazy. Not a fish for the lazy, I suppose.

Awesome man.....Tank is looking good!

thanks!

So I've again rethought my livestock:

1x Female Bellus Angel

2x Ocellaris Clowns

3x Dispar Anthias

1x Neon Blue/Yellow Goby

1x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

24x Nassarius Snails

24x Cerith Snails

12x Trochus Snails

12x Scarlet Hermit Crabs

Acropora

Blastomusa

Yuma / Ricordia

Zoanthids

Candy Canes

Open Brains

Hammer

i've been trying to pickup my tank, but the holiday season makes it impossible to get a hold of these freight people =(

I'm going to be reinforcing my tank stand, and adding doors to it. I'll also make it into a shelf to put my bottles of additives etc, food, and a shelf for RO/DI water to sit on. The fuge itself will be on a platform with wheels, so I can actually wheel it out. The bottom of the cabinet will be smoothed down so I can roll the fuge all the way out for maintenance.

My biggest question is: canopy or pendant? I kind of want to add actinic supplement, just so I can do the dusk/dawn effect. But I don't know how to add it onto the pendant to make it look good. So I'm thinking just a low profile canopy or something. What do you think?

get yourself an L3 and line the insides w/ pc's. IMO just get an Aquaconnect 14k and leave it at that.

You don't think that livestock list is a little heavy? Bellus, and all Geni. angels swim a lot. I have a pair of swallows in my 75 and i am torn, i need to get rid of them for the happiness but i keep holding on to em, they are both fat, and doing exceptionally well, but i just feel like they are cramped. the male runs between my fingers and hands everytime i put my hand in the tank. great fish, they really are... but they need a lot of room. I am trying to convince the wife for a larger tank for them... but i dont think she's gonna budge. If i had to do my tank all over again. i'd go for a lot more smaller fish. as I have 3 fish in my tank total and its just cramped imo.

get yourself an L3 and line the insides w/ pc's. IMO just get an Aquaconnect 14k and leave it at that.

You don't think that livestock list is a little heavy? Bellus, and all Geni. angels swim a lot. I have a pair of swallows in my 75 and i am torn, i need to get rid of them for the happiness but i keep holding on to em, they are both fat, and doing exceptionally well, but i just feel like they are cramped. the male runs between my fingers and hands everytime i put my hand in the tank. great fish, they really are... but they need a lot of room. I am trying to convince the wife for a larger tank for them... but i dont think she's gonna budge. If i had to do my tank all over again. i'd go for a lot more smaller fish. as I have 3 fish in my tank total and its just cramped imo.

Luminarc III? I was going to but I decided to just get a pendant. Like prorapter said, maybe I should just build a canopy. I'll have some plumbing going over the top of the tank too, so it would clean it up a bit.

As for the stocking list, it is a little heavy, probably pushing the bioload limit especially with the anthias. I may end up just getting 3 threadfin cardinalfish instead. The one female bellus will definately swim a lot, but I think my 82 gallon is large enough. Especially with the open space up top above the corals and rockwork there will be about 5 inches of vertical space, and about 40 inches for it to swim corner to corner that way, on top of at least 2100gph flow. I think it will be good =) If not I'll be responsible and give her back to the LFS. But the LFS that I will be getting her from has had a male bellus in a tank with the same footprint as mine, and about 5 inches to 8 inches shorter than mine. They told me they had it there for 2 years already. So I'm pretty solid about getting it. Thanks for your concern though, I will definately take it into consideration.

For sure in my stocking list:

2 ocellaris

1 female bellus

the others are still ideas, and if they're available i'll get them =)

I'm taking the day off on Thursday to get the tank etc. Pictures then!

I said screw the reactor and went with a dosing pump (about 100 bucks on ebay) and adding B-Ionic (since I had it already) but will be mixing my own 2-part + Mg.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm

hey calvin, I saw your new doser. Does it do the job that a calcium reactor would do? I was thinking it wouldn't only be able to control calcium levels, but also pH levels.

Also why are calcium reactors hooked up to pH controllers? Is it because pH is controlled often and in such a way so that calcium would be dosed in with the co2? Why not a calcium controller?

What's included in a dosing system?

Thanks!!!

Marinedepot is selling a relatively cheap doser by aquamedic:

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_dosing...ser.asp?CartId=

Will that be sufficient?

Also does it only draw out liquid from one container? Could I just dose using my auto topoff system? Water evap everyday is pretty consistent, so dosing would be pretty consistent. It looks like these dosers are just timed and not reliant on anything else. Could I have my RO/DI topoff water mixed with dosing supplements and have it done that way? Or is it recommended to get a doser?

Thanks!!

hey calvin, I saw your new doser. Does it do the job that a calcium reactor would do? I was thinking it wouldn't only be able to control calcium levels, but also pH levels.

Also why are calcium reactors hooked up to pH controllers? Is it because pH is controlled often and in such a way so that calcium would be dosed in with the co2? Why not a calcium controller?

What's included in a dosing system?

Thanks!!!

Marinedepot is selling a relatively cheap doser by aquamedic:

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_dosing...ser.asp?CartId=

Will that be sufficient?

Also does it only draw out liquid from one container? Could I just dose using my auto topoff system? Water evap everyday is pretty consistent, so dosing would be pretty consistent. It looks like these dosers are just timed and not reliant on anything else. Could I have my RO/DI topoff water mixed with dosing supplements and have it done that way? Or is it recommended to get a doser?

Thanks!!

Ph controllers are hooked up to Ca Reactors because they can lower your Ph due to the CO2 being injected into the reactor. The CO2 lowers the Ph allowing the media to be disolved and when added to the tank is still in the 7's at best. Going with the dosing pump it will actually help buffer the Ph if needed. The dosing pump I got comes with the pump itself, and 2-channel tubing (2 lines). Each line goes to my 2 part additive (Ca and Alk)

The B-Ionic is seperate for a reason, they interact with each other so it's key that you only dose them into your tank and in a high flow area, you should not add them to your top off water... The Marine Depot 2 channel version is 189 bucks, while it will work, it costs more and I see no additional benefit to it. The key to the doser is just that, it's not reliant on anything else, so everyday you get the same Ca and Alk added to your tank instead of relying on your evap rate. :) That was the reason I removed my Kalk reactor from my ATO and went this route instead.

I hope this answers your questions, if I missed any just post it again and I'll try to clarify. B)

Ph controllers are hooked up to Ca Reactors because they can lower your Ph due to the CO2 being injected into the reactor. The CO2 lowers the Ph allowing the media to be disolved and when added to the tank is still in the 7's at best. Going with the dosing pump it will actually help buffer the Ph if needed. The dosing pump I got comes with the pump itself, and 2-channel tubing (2 lines). Each line goes to my 2 part additive (Ca and Alk)

The B-Ionic is seperate for a reason, they interact with each other so it's key that you only dose them into your tank and in a high flow area, you should not add them to your top off water... The Marine Depot 2 channel version is 189 bucks, while it will work, it costs more and I see no additional benefit to it. The key to the doser is just that, it's not reliant on anything else, so everyday you get the same Ca and Alk added to your tank instead of relying on your evap rate. :) That was the reason I removed my Kalk reactor from my ATO and went this route instead.

I hope this answers your questions, if I missed any just post it again and I'll try to clarify. B)

Hi calvin, again thanks for the help!

I have some questions:

1. The dosing pump you have basically gives the tank a consistent dose from one resevoir of ca/alk mixture, but you have two tubes?

2. How did you decide how much to dose? Did you have to fine tune it by starting with a small dose, taking water params and adjusting it?

3. So the only difference between dose pump / ato is that dosing gives you a super consistent dose, and the b-ionic needs to be separate and dosed to high flow areas?

4. Which pump do you recommend if I just want one resevoir of ca/alk mixture?

Thanks!!!

Hi calvin, again thanks for the help!

I have some questions:

1. The dosing pump you have basically gives the tank a consistent dose from one resevoir of ca/alk mixture, but you have two tubes?

2. How did you decide how much to dose? Did you have to fine tune it by starting with a small dose, taking water params and adjusting it?

3. So the only difference between dose pump / ato is that dosing gives you a super consistent dose, and the b-ionic needs to be separate and dosed to high flow areas?

4. Which pump do you recommend if I just want one resevoir of ca/alk mixture?

Thanks!!!

Okay, let's clarify.

1. The Ca/Alk is the two parts, one tube per part. Part 1 Calcium, Part 2 Alkalinity.

2. Exactly, I cranked up the dosing to get the levels I wanted then turned it back to the recommended doseage and then just monitor, if things start to read a little low, increase the dosage, if things start to read a little high, cut back a little until you find the right balance.

3. Yes, as well dosing with B-Ionic it gives me just the right balance of calcium and alkalinity (including Magnesium which kalk is lacking).

4. I would recommend the pump I got to dose the 2 parts. The Ensign 2, try to contact ebay seller: tanksalot about selling you one. He currently doesn't have any listed on ebay but may have some available. I got mine for a buy now of 99.00 plus 10 shipping. Main thing is make sure it includes the 2 channel tubing.

Great looking tank and excellent choice on the external overflow.

thanks shaolin! your tank is quite amazing too. it's an honor to have you checking out this thread! =)

Okay, let's clarify.

1. The Ca/Alk is the two parts, one tube per part. Part 1 Calcium, Part 2 Alkalinity.

2. Exactly, I cranked up the dosing to get the levels I wanted then turned it back to the recommended doseage and then just monitor, if things start to read a little low, increase the dosage, if things start to read a little high, cut back a little until you find the right balance.

3. Yes, as well dosing with B-Ionic it gives me just the right balance of calcium and alkalinity (including Magnesium which kalk is lacking).

4. I would recommend the pump I got to dose the 2 parts. The Ensign 2, try to contact ebay seller: tanksalot about selling you one. He currently doesn't have any listed on ebay but may have some available. I got mine for a buy now of 99.00 plus 10 shipping. Main thing is make sure it includes the 2 channel tubing.

cool, sounds good! thanks for the recommendation!!!

I started a website / journal for my tank. It gets a bit confusing here on nano-reef.com's forum, and I think I can really do some customization on the website.

Once I finish it, I will post it!

I've decided to get a Neptune Systems Aquacontroller Jr. w/ Temp Probe and DC8 (about $245, free shipping =)

It will take over all my timers (which can be expensive! digital timers are $25 a pop at my hardware store)!

I will be using it for the following:

1. Metal Halide - Turn it off and on during the 8 hour period. Also will turn off if temperature rises too high after chiller/fans have come on.

2. Actinics - Turn them off and on and dim for dawn dusk effects.

3. Moonlights - It will turn moonlights on and off with seasons! wow.

4. Heaters - It will turn on and off the heaters based on it's temperature. This will ensure rogue heaters don't kill things. I will also have 3 heaters, so I will be pretty much A'OK.

5. Surface Fans - it will turn on surface fans when things get too hot.

6. Dosing pumps - I will do a ghetto dosing technique. I will be using $10 TOM aqualifters, and will be measuring their flow per minute, and adjust accordingly using timers. I will turn them off and on throughout the day giving the tank a good dose of randy's two part. Thus my dosing side of things will only cost me $20 for the two pumps, plus the actual dosing media. Sweet =)

I was going to invest in the ACIII with the webserver, then realized that $600+ is ridiculous just to see it online.

BTW I'm almost done with my website! It's gonna rock ;)

Website Features:

1. Photo gallery

2. Web Cam

3. Journal

4. DIY articles I've done

5. For Sale items I have

etc etc =)

It's all done with blogger.com, and will allow guests to comment so you don't have to have an account on blogger.

I'm going to see if I can streamline it with reeftuner.com.

happy new year everyone.

Sweet! I'm getting an aquacontroller jr. as well. :)

awesome! high 5!!!

Did you get it with a temp probe? Will you be using a DC8?

Do you know if we can load the RAM memory onto a PC to view graphs etc?

eek. I just realized that my saw is broken, and I can't find any of my dad's old wood tools. I tallied up how much it would cost to do the stand and canopy now with buying tools in mind, and it's coming out to more than $300. Given the amount of time spent on it, I don't think it's worth it buying all the tools from scratch for this one project.

I may consider a custom builder instead... omegareef.com looks good. They quoted me $400-$500 with hood and stand.

I'll contact them again and see what to do about that.

Did you get it with a temp probe? Will you be using a DC8?

Do you know if we can load the RAM memory onto a PC to view graphs etc?

I think it comes with the temp probe. I also ordered the lab grade PH probe. Yes, I will get the dc8 with it. Where are you getting yours from?

I think that you need the more advanced versions of the aquacontroller to integrate info. onto a computer.

I think it comes with the temp probe. I also ordered the lab grade PH probe. Yes, I will get the dc8 with it. Where are you getting yours from?

I think that you need the more advanced versions of the aquacontroller to integrate info. onto a computer.

I got mine at marinedepot.com. anything over $175 has free shipping, and is tax free (I'm in california, so is md).

The package came with a temp probe and dc8 for $245 + $1.50 insurance for shipping.

I probably won't get a pH probe, unless I find a cheap one. I won't be controlling any pH.

Lighting update

I will be getting a canopy and throwing in two 55 watt actinic PC supplements to my metal halide. I'm going to sell the Aqualine AB and get a Pheonix 14K instead. I believe the pheonix is a much better bulb, and is even bluer than the aqualine 20K AB.

Archived