Cultivated Reef

Koden's 98 Gallon Custom

kinetic

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I'm taking the planning real slow. The 82 gallon tank hasn't even been started yet. I'm also in the planning process with the builders as we speak. It's being made by SoCalCreations.com

I want plenty of research time to get things right. I'm also putting away about $3000 to save up for the entire setup. Might be overkill, but just in case =X

I'm already spending close to $750 just for the tank and shipping. Then I will be spending another $400 on a sump. All the equipment will put me to a little under $2000, and everything else should bump me to $3000. So much money =( But I want to get it right.

I'll be waiting until next year to setup the tank completely, cycling it for at least a month, and then introducing established LS/LR etc. I think I posted the "schedule" in a previous post".

proraptor: is the kole pretty much reef safe? any pictures?

Search for pics of the kole tang on google images. All tangs are reef safe but some are a little aggressive which the kole is not at all...

$750 for the tank is really high....They quoted me $350 for my 60 cube when I was thinking of going acrylic (which Im so glad I didnt). Also why are you spending $400 on a sump? Thats just ridiculous!

A kole should be reef safe, of course, any fish can go 'psycho' and decided to eat things it shouldn't, but I'd feel confidient in saying they're 99% reef safe. :)

$750!!!! wow...I know the cost of acrylic recently went up, but man...you should give Scott a call over at Aquatic Systems Design just to see what he could do. He did an AWESOME job on my 20x20x12 tank I just got in! :D

Oh, and a $400 sump!??!?! That's nearly twice as much as I paid for my tank with shipping and plumbing! I hear rubbermaid and All-glass make pretty good sumps ;)

-Dan

That's too much for both tank and sump? Mine is bigger than both of yours, does it make up for the difference?

The tank specs can be seen in the other thread, socalcreations is doing the following:

Tank Dimension: 30"x25"x25"

External Overflow: 12" x ??" x 12" (he will notch teeth 12" span on back of tank for the external overflow)

Eurobraced, with rounded front corners to make it look seamless

Black back.

about 8 holes drilled + bulkheads ( one for overflow drain, one for return pump outlet, two for closed loop intake, four for closed loop returns)

For the tank it's $530, with bulkheads ($8 a piece) it's + $64, total is: $594+tax+$130shipping. So close to $800 shipped.

I looked into trigger system sumps, but I guess not? I'll try to DIY a sump for myself.

I cant believe you are paying $400 for a sump..I have a sump and a seperate refugium and it still came out cheaper than $400 even with the plumbing...

Socal creations quoted me $350 for my 60 cube with just as much holes drilled...

I cant believe you are paying $400 for a sump..I have a sump and a seperate refugium and it still came out cheaper than $400 even with the plumbing...

Socal creations quoted me $350 for my 60 cube with just as much holes drilled...

so they are charging me $200 for 20 more gallons? seems odd. It's still a standard 4x8 sheet of acrylic. He's trying to squeeze in an inch for me on width and height

did $350 include bulkheads?

was it eurobraced?

what sump / fuge did you get?

socalcreations hasn't contacted me in a long time. I have inquired a quote from aquatic system designs.

Thanks for the link dan;) Do you know if they do rounded front corners and eurobracing rather than center bracing? Also do you know if they do external overflows?

thanks!

Mine's pretty close to official. I was planning to send in the safety deposit soon.

What is your tank plans so far? What was your quote? They don't seem like shadey people. Just curious about your setup=)

Koden,

The reason that your wondering why Socal gave you a pricy quote is probably because you are going with 1/2" acrylic, and euro-bracing. My tank was very expensive also. :)

Well I was going to actually go with a 36x22x22 tank with a external overflow (like yours), eurobraced, a closed loop and all that.

The problem is I am moving into a smaller house and I don't know what exactly is going to fit into the new one, so once I move in I will be finalizing everything.

I mean, I can't go over 70-75 gallons.

Umm nothing is a official yet but I was planning on going with a open canopy with a metal halide hood, a ASM G1 skimmer. Sump/refug. Etc Etc.

Ill send you a instant messegen sometime so we can talk about it, sounds like we are oging to be doing very similiar set ups.

Im running a no-name 24x12x16 acrylic sump that you can easily buy for around $100 from www.oceanproaquatics.com

Im running an ecosystem refugium 24x8.5x8.5 that I got for $10 from a local reefer, Im sure you can easily buy one of these for around $100 also...

Also remember you need some good lighting to penetrate 25 inches of water. I have a hard enough time penetrating 24 inches with 250 watt HQI MH and 130 watts PC. Im going to add another 130 watts PC and see if it helps.

Hey Koden,

My tank was made with 3/8ths inch thick acrylic with eurobracing that is 1/4 inch thick and an external overflow and back back panel/overflow box. The corners and edges are all rounded, but I'm not sure if it's the same thing as what you're asking about. I would wait to see what Scott says before you send in your security deposit if I were you, never can have too many bidders! Besides, he's a very honest and helpful guy to talk with, he's got a lot of good ideas too and he's never hard to get in touch with.

-Dan

Koden,

The reason that your wondering why Socal gave you a pricy quote is probably because you are going with 1/2" acrylic, and euro-bracing. My tank was very expensive also. :)

I'm thinking that must be it. I didn't think the price quote he gave me was expensive until I mentioned it and everyone was surprised. But you do think that the 1/2" acrylic and euro bracing is the deciding factor of upping the price by $200? I think that is it as well. Btw, sebea, your tank is awesome =)

Thanks Koden! Yeah, I got many quotes from Socal about different sizes. It def. gets expensive once you get into the thicker acrylic, and euro-bracing. Also, the thicker acrylic is needed because of the height of the tank. Anyways, it's totally worth it!

Im running a no-name 24x12x16 acrylic sump that you can easily buy for around $100 from www.oceanproaquatics.com

Im running an ecosystem refugium 24x8.5x8.5 that I got for $10 from a local reefer, Im sure you can easily buy one of these for around $100 also...

Also remember you need some good lighting to penetrate 25 inches of water. I have a hard enough time penetrating 24 inches with 250 watt HQI MH and 130 watts PC. Im going to add another 130 watts PC and see if it helps.

Crazy, $10 for an ecosystem! How did you hook it up with your sump? A pump from the ecosystem to the intake of the sump?

I'll keep looking for a sump/fuge setup...

I'm thinking of using my existing 70watt hqi and adding another 175 watt hqi, on top of 110watts of actinic PC lighting. What do you mean by penetrate? I don't think I'll be growing SPS on the top, all SPS on the top, with some LPS on the substrate.

Hey Koden,

My tank was made with 3/8ths inch thick acrylic with eurobracing that is 1/4 inch thick and an external overflow and back back panel/overflow box. The corners and edges are all rounded, but I'm not sure if it's the same thing as what you're asking about. I would wait to see what Scott says before you send in your security deposit if I were you, never can have too many bidders! Besides, he's a very honest and helpful guy to talk with, he's got a lot of good ideas too and he's never hard to get in touch with.

-Dan

I think that's what I was talking about. I'm going to be asking for 1/2" thick acrylic as well.

I've emailed him, so I'll wait for his response =) I'll let you guys know what he says.

Thanks Koden! Yeah, I got many quotes from Socal about different sizes. It def. gets expensive once you get into the thicker acrylic, and euro-bracing. Also, the thicker acrylic is needed because of the height of the tank. Anyways, it's totally worth it!

Ah that makes a lot more sense now. Well I'll keep asking Randy over at socal to see if he's responding. Maybe he went on vacation or something. But alas, I'll wait for Scott to respond to my design first before the safety deposit goes in.

The ecosystem refugium gets water from a split drain. The water flow is controled by a ball valve.

The problem with tall tanks is having enough lighting to penetrate the water so you still have enough intensity on the bottom of your tank. I wouldnt use the 70 watt or 175 watt halides its a waste of time imo. Buy yourself a 250 watt HQI DE then switch your actinic PC's over to 10K's and you should get pretty good coverage and penetration.

Another thing you need to worry about is the 30 inches long. A single halide is good for about 24 inches long. Sure it will most likely work but Im anal with my lighting so it wouldnt work for me.

If I were setting this tank up Id add a single 250 watt HQI DE halide and 2- 4 65 watt PC's depending on what you are keeping.

I have the Reef OptixIII 250watt pendant from reefgeek.com, and it is more than enough light. The reflector is top quality, and it coveres the 30" length no problem. I recommend looking into this.

Been there done that with the reef optix III. It didnt provide enough light IMO for anything over 2 feet in my eyes. I switched to a aquamedic ocean light and like it a lot.

My tank specs are pretty much set. Now I have to see about equipment. Please critique all of these listed. (I'm not nanokube, i like harsh critique, but please give me reasons why so I know what to look for =)

Lighting: 250 watt HQI DE with 20,000K Lamp, 55watt Actinic PC, 55 watt 7100K Daylight PC, R2 Moonlight, 4 Current USA white leds for additional moonlight.

Flow: Quiet One 6000 1500GPH closed loop pump. Oceans Motions Super Squirt. Two 1" intakes 5" above bottom of tank, 12" apart (on both sides of external overflow). 4 returns on 4 corners of the tank, 5" off the bottom for bottom two, 2" off the top of the tank for the top two. The top two returns will be connected to two spray bars running the width of the tank. The two bottom ones will simply be nozzles shooting through the backs of the live rock. The sump return will be a Quiet One 3000 (780GPH) and will have one outlet, 4" from the top of the tank with a nozzle. I'm thinking of doing a rotating nozzle or something. Any ideas?

Overflow: 12" span of surface skimming teeth centered on the backwall. Teeth will be 3" high, 1/4" wide, and span 12" in length. THe overflow will be 12" long, 3" wide, 12" tall. It will have a 1.5" drain out the side.

Sump: 4 compartments, fuge on the left, overflowing to intake. Intake with baffles to another compartment to hold skimmer, heaters, probes, then baffles with egg crate to hold activated carbon and phosban media, lastly return chamber with quiet one pump. I have a 30 gallon glass tank that I might put acrylic baffles into to create this.

Fuge: Chaeto and Livesand. No liverock since it will collect detritus.

Skimmer: Corallife Super Skimmer with Needle Wheel (125 gallon model). I heard the needle wheel works really well. It's also inexpensive.

Heaters: dual 150watt Eheim Jager heaters. These are 13" tall. I already have one 150watt, so another would push it to 300watts, enough for my tank? ALso if one fails I still got another that at least will try to keep temperatures up. These will be in the sump.

Media: BlackDiamond Activated Carbon, SeaChem Phosban media. Maybe an intake sock. Clean sock weekly by running it under RO water. SeaChem media changed out biweekly. Activated Carbon changed out fortnightly.

Controllers/Monitors: 2 x Reef Fanatic Level Controller with 2 sensors. One for automatic top offs, one to shut off return pump if overflow level increases too high (meaning something's clogged).

LR/LS: 30lbs of LR from my current tank + 20lbs more from another established tank. About 20 lbs of arag-alive special grade caribsea substrate, seeded with my 10lbs of established sand.

Stand/Canopy: DIY oak painted black. I need some pictures of people's canopy's to see how I should design mine.

Livestock:

Ocellaris Pair

Blackray Goby

Watanabei Angelfish

2x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

24x Trochus Snails

24x Cerrith Snails

2x Turbo Snails

24x Scarlet Reef Hermits

1x long black spine urchin

Acropora sp, Digitata, Pistilla, Staghorn, Birdsnest

Candy Canes, Branching Hammers, Open Brains