kinetic

Livestock Update:

8 Blue-eyed cardinals, Apogon leptacanthus

apogon.jpg

1 Female Blackspot Angelfish, Genicanthus melanospilos

gmelanof.jpg

2 Ocellaris Clownfish from my established tank

DSC_0050.jpg

1 Increadibly bold Randalli Goby that I have in my 32g tank, never hides!

DSC_0030.jpg

1 Flame Angel (I love the looks of these. I will try to get a captive bred one, put it in my 32 gallon and feed it nothing but flakes, mysis, nori banded to LR and nori on a clip, spirulina, and see if I can get it to become reef safe. I will buy one less than an 1" in length!) I'm determined not to let these guys defeat me! Below is the flame I have now that doesn't touch LPS or softies, only SPS:

DSC_0014.jpg

24x Scarlet Reef Hermits

36x Small Nassarius Snails

24x Cerith Snails

12x Trochus Snails

1x Cleaner Shrimp

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sure seems like a large clean up crew...Hope they dont run out of stuff to eat..

It's about twice what I have now, plus a dozen more nassarius.

the tank will be more than twice as large, and right now all the critters have plenty to eat non-stop.

I'll probably introduce them slowly until i have a good balance, right now that's just a prediction.

Sump

Found an EcoSystem Sump for $110 used locally. Picture is attached.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_filter...kit.asp?CartId=

Intake Chamber:

It has an opening at the top for a drain pipe, and a bulkhead. I'll connect this bulkhead to my corallife skimmer, but any idea where to return the water?

Fuge Chamber:

18 watt PC fixture, reverse photo period

Why are there little ridges on the bottom here? Should I use miracle mud? I was thinking of just putting 1.5" of live sand.

I will have a bunch of chaeto suspended above the substrate with an eggcrate so that things don't collect on the substrate between chaeto.

2 nassarius snails

2 scarlet reef hermits

Return Chamber

Quiet One 6000 return pump connected externally to the bulkhead in this chamber.

Now here's the question:

How should I run the skimmer externally?

What are those ridges at the bottom of the fuge for?

Where should I put a temperature monitor probe?

Where should I put the two 150watt Eheim Jager heaters?

Where should I put the auto topoff float sensors?

What exactly should my fuge contain?

er, the attachment is too big. i'll shrink it tonight.

Im not sure where you are going to put your skimmer. But you need to make sure the pump for the skimmer isnt in the fuge part of the ecosystem sump cause it will suck up microfunia

Im not sure where you are going to put your skimmer. But you need to make sure the pump for the skimmer isnt in the fuge part of the ecosystem sump cause it will suck up microfunia

Yeah I'll definately need to figure something out. Maybe I'll just drill another hole through the acrylic.

Anyway I found a Coralife Super Skimmer rated at 220 gallons for $125 shipped. The guy has it hooked up outside of the sump now as a hang on. I'll probably have to do some drilling / dremel work.

The Coralife SS 125 won't work how you are describing.

See I have it on my current tank and run it infuge. How I do this Is I have a seperate compartment for it to sit in and basically works the same as if it was hanging on....the pump sits in the water and shoots it into the skimmer, the only difference is the skimmer is sitting in the sump and not on the edge of the tank.

You can not drill a new hole in the arcylic and run it externally. You need the pump sitting in water to have it run correctly. You are going to need a different compartment for the pump either way, so drilling another hole is useless.

You have a couple of different options (probably more if your creative):

You could get a different protein skimmer, add a chamber onto the ecosystems, build a new sump/refugium, or just run the CSS125 rigth on your main display.

Maybe you could just make a small section in the refugium area of the ecosystems refugium (like a small 5x5) and section it off with acrylic to house the pump.

That could work.

Well send me a im sometime if you want to discuss the skimmer more.

The Coralife SS 125 won't work how you are describing.

See I have it on my current tank and run it infuge. How I do this Is I have a seperate compartment for it to sit in and basically works the same as if it was hanging on....the pump sits in the water and shoots it into the skimmer, the only difference is the skimmer is sitting in the sump and not on the edge of the tank.

You can not drill a new hole in the arcylic and run it externally. You need the pump sitting in water to have it run correctly. You are going to need a different compartment for the pump either way, so drilling another hole is useless.

You have a couple of different options (probably more if your creative):

You could get a different protein skimmer, add a chamber onto the ecosystems, build a new sump/refugium, or just run the CSS125 rigth on your main display.

Maybe you could just make a small section in the refugium area of the ecosystems refugium (like a small 5x5) and section it off with acrylic to house the pump.

That could work.

Well send me a im sometime if you want to discuss the skimmer more.

the pump is connected to a pipe right? I'm guessing the needle wheel pump is a submerged only, without a intake pipe which is why you brought this up. I will have the pump submerged in water, and pipe it through the bulkhead into the intake of the skimmer. Is that possible? OR is the design different? can you show me pictures of your setup?

Also putting the skimmer int he main display would cause problems, since sucking up different animals and plants would probably not be the greatest idea. Plus it'd look ugly up there.

Adding a compartment will reduce the size of the fuge. I want the fuge to be fairly large still.

Thanks for the the help.

I am redesigning the plumbing for the tank.

New changes:

Two holes in eurobracing for the front for two of my four CL returns

The bottom two CL returns with bulkheads stay the same.

The original top two CL bulkheads will now be used for two sump return outlets. I will T off the return pump, and run two spray bars vertically down the back corners of the tank from the bulkheads on top. I will have these bulkheads as high above the waterline as possible.

Total: 7 bulkheads:

2 x for sump return spray bars

2 x for two of the four CL returns

2 x for two of the CL intakes

1 x for the 1.5" drain out of the bottom of the overflow box.

Holes:

2 x extra holes in the front eurobracing

Closed Loop

Two intakes T'd together to a Quiet One 6000 (1500gph)

Return pump outlet connects to Oceans Motions SuperSquirt

Two returns from OMSS running over the top of the tank, to the front two corners with flat nozzles directed into the center of the tank.

Two returns from OMSS on the bottom of the back wall towards the lower two corners also pointing to the center of the tank.

I'm thinking of these three timing sequences for the outlets... please give me suggestions, where outlet 1 and 2 are the top front corners, and 3 and 4 are the bottom back corners.

Arrangement:

1 2

3 4

Sequence 1:

1 only

1 and 2

3 only

3 and 4

4 only

repeat

Sequence 2:

1 and 2

3 and 4

Sequence 3:

1 only

1 and 2

2 only

2 and 3

3 only

3 and 4

4 only

4 and 1

Sequence two is simple, it's like a surge, front gets flow, back gets flow, making a wave like feel. One is similar but it spices things up to make it a bit more turbulent. the third is just a round robin. maybe it will create a whirlpool? hehe. I could switch 4 and 3 around to create a less whirlpooly effect.

any suggestions?

thanks

Sump Return

780GPH Quiet One 3000 Return Pump

Single return pipe is T'd off to the top two bulkheads.

Elbows divert the flow into two spray bars running down the back corners of the tank.

Spray bars will have most holes in three rows pointing out towards the tank, including one row behind it pointing straight at the corner (fewer holes here).

I have a question: should I do bulkheads for the sump returns, or just drill more holes on the eurobracing and have them come in like that?

Thanks!

Sure they are, if you get one that isn't just send it back for another one... My dad has a Q1 5000 for his CL and you can't hear it running. :)

Dont know if you know or not but quiet one pumps arent really quiet...

My quiet one 3000 makes barely any noise at all. you gotta put your head close to the pump and listen for it to hear it.

Im just saying cause I just got back from a tank tour with the SCMAS and was asking quiet one owners if they liked their pumps and they said the only thing they didnt like about them is they arent quiet. I heard one on a return on a 225 gallon tank and she was right it was very quiet...

But hey Im running a panworld 50px-x and you cant hear it whatsoever so maybe thats why I think they are loud

Can anyone give me some suggestions on the plumbing / tank design?

I am redesigning the plumbing for the tank.

New changes:

Two holes in eurobracing for the front for two of my four CL returns

The bottom two CL returns with bulkheads stay the same.

The original top two CL bulkheads will now be used for two sump return outlets. I will T off the return pump, and run two spray bars vertically down the back corners of the tank from the bulkheads on top. I will have these bulkheads as high above the waterline as possible.

Total: 7 bulkheads:

2 x for sump return spray bars

2 x for two of the four CL returns

2 x for two of the CL intakes

1 x for the 1.5" drain out of the bottom of the overflow box.

Holes:

2 x extra holes in the front eurobracing

Closed Loop

Two intakes T'd together to a Quiet One 6000 (1500gph)

Return pump outlet connects to Oceans Motions SuperSquirt

Two returns from OMSS running over the top of the tank, to the front two corners with flat nozzles directed into the center of the tank.

Two returns from OMSS on the bottom of the back wall towards the lower two corners also pointing to the center of the tank.

I'm thinking of these three timing sequences for the outlets... please give me suggestions, where outlet 1 and 2 are the top front corners, and 3 and 4 are the bottom back corners.

Arrangement:

1 2

3 4

Sequence 1:

1 only

1 and 2

3 only

3 and 4

4 only

repeat

Sequence 2:

1 and 2

3 and 4

Sequence 3:

1 only

1 and 2

2 only

2 and 3

3 only

3 and 4

4 only

4 and 1

Sequence two is simple, it's like a surge, front gets flow, back gets flow, making a wave like feel. One is similar but it spices things up to make it a bit more turbulent. the third is just a round robin. maybe it will create a whirlpool? hehe. I could switch 4 and 3 around to create a less whirlpooly effect.

any suggestions?

thanks

Sump Return

780GPH Quiet One 3000 Return Pump

Single return pipe is T'd off to the top two bulkheads.

Elbows divert the flow into two spray bars running down the back corners of the tank.

Spray bars will have most holes in three rows pointing out towards the tank, including one row behind it pointing straight at the corner (fewer holes here).

I have a question: should I do bulkheads for the sump returns, or just drill more holes on the eurobracing and have them come in like that?

Thanks!

I'm getting the sump today. Next weekend I'll be setting up the sump and start it running. I'm going to put about 5 lbs or more of my current LR into it, as well as some sand from my tank. Also a chaeto ball. I'll throw in a snail or two and a hermit. I'll keep this sump running alone for about 6 months until my main display is finished.

I have all my sump equipment now. Only thing left is:

Main Tank, Plumbing for Main Tank, Lighting, LR/LS for main tank

I'll be doing the following:

Return pump right back into input chamber.

Heater, thermometer, ammonia alert, will all be installed.

Skimmer, phosban reactor, all installed.

18watt PC lighting that it comes with will get a new lamp, and that will be fixed on top.

LR and LS from main tank, and maybe some yellow polyps I don't like will go into the sump.

A ball of chaeto will also go in here.

What do you think? it's an Ecosystem 30G. I was even thinking about hooking it up with my current 32 gallon m-tank... but haven't figured out how to regulate the flow going from the current sump to this sump. Any ideas? I wont' drill, just pipes drawing in water and returning.

What do you guys think: Black Sand or the Fiji Pink?

Is black sand just as good as the fiji pink that you usually get, just a different color? Is it fine grained?

I found out that black sand is actually much harder to take care of. Hmm I'll have to see.

In the meantime, I'll be setting up my EcoSystem Fuge this weekend. I'll hook it all up to the skimmer, phosban reactor, external return pump, heaters, thermometers.

I'll throw in a 300gph pump to return the water from the return chamber back into the intake and let it cycle with 2" sand bed seeded with my established tank's sand, and a bit of LR and chaeto.

I'll probably use the 18watt PC it comes with for now, but I'll be ordering an Ocean Light 250watt hqi soon, and I'll throw that on top for now too. Once it's cycled I'll put my SPS in there with an egg crate and get rid of the ugly strawberry baskets plaguing my 32 gallon =P

Did some cad design on some funky program. This is approximately what the tank's going to be like:

Top of the tank:

tank_top.jpg

Back of the tank:

tank_back.jpg

Don't you live in Berkeley or somewhere in the bay area koden?

yes in berkeley. why do you ask? do you live nearby as well?

Update:

Just picked up a 30 gallon Ecosystem Refugium from a local reefer for $110. it is used but aside from major salt creep it's in great condition. Two bulkheads, one for the return pump, and the other which is in the intake chamber... not sure what it's for but I'll be hooking up the corallife super needle wheel skimmer to it.

Purchased my SeaChem SeaGel media (activated carbon + phosphate absorbing media) for my two little fishies phosban reactor.

Also purchased my 250watt AquaMedic Ocean Light with 20,000K DE HQI aqualine AB lamp. I heard the aqualine's aren't very 20K looking =/ So I'll probably sell it and go buy something else if it turns out to suck. Anyone have suggestions on a 20K bulb? I may go phoenix 14K and hookup two of my 55watt actinic PC's to supplement.

ok, so I went on a shopping spree, also coming: Coralife gloves, a new seachem ammonia indicator badge, coralife thermometer, quiet one 6000 pump for closed loop system, quiet one 3000 for return pump, eheim jager 150watt heater (will be running dual 150's), kent pro scraper for acrylic (get that coraline etc off the front glass), tetra spirulina flake (for the angelfish), and that's it.

All I need now is the plumbing, reinforce my stand and create a door for the sump area, create a platform with a shelf for ATO fresh water and lower shelf for 30g refugium, an area for skimmer and phosban reactor and kalk dripper, all on wheels to easily slide out, and a canopy to hold the pendant and probably two 55watt actinic PC's. I will also put my 70watt hqi retrofit into the fuge's lighting. It's a 28watt PC, but I'm going to put my 14K astralux hqi into that fixture for some extra chaeto growth! I will also have my smaller frags grow out in here as well so that I won't have plugs all over the main tank.

Todo Checklist:

Reinforce Stand

Create a door for stand

Create platform for sump and equipment

Buy Oceans Motions SuperSquirt

Buy 20 lbs of sand

Buy 5 lbs. of base rock

Plumbing

Canopy + lighting installation

I should be good to go then =)

I wanted you to stop by the lfs I work at so I can exploit my powers and give people the nr.com discount before they figure out my scheme and fire me

I wanted you to stop by the lfs I work at so I can exploit my powers and give people the nr.com discount before they figure out my scheme and fire me

ooh neat I'll take a NR discount =) what LFS do you work for? it'd be neat meeting another nr.com'r too!

Did some cad design on some funky program. This is approximately what the tank's going to be like:

Top of the tank:

tank_top.jpg

Back of the tank:

tank_back.jpg

any suggestions comments?

I'm thinking of planting red mangroves into my LS. by doing the following:

long rigid airline tubes, with seed strapped about half submerged. Once it starts to take root, I'll pick it up higher so it'll develop the crazy roots. below I'll have some chaeto and 1" of miracle mud and 2" of LS. I'll keep two hermits, 2 cerith, 2 nassarius, and one trochus snail. Maybe a small chromis or some other super aggressive small fish.

Archived