Cultivated Reef

Koden's 98 Gallon Custom

kinetic

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That looks easy, forget ordering my own I am just going to build it myself, yeah right...... :P .

Looks great koden.

hey if you have the tools and time, I'd say go for it ;)

more build pictures:

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

a big messy pile of equipment:

DSC_0028.jpg

above you'll see the 250watt aquamedic pendant / ballast. the bulb is somewhere. also is a Ecosystem 30G fuge, a coralife needlewheel 220 super skimmer, + some stuff.

Damn, that's sweet!

I deffinetly should have gone w/ the external overflow.

I forgot, what's the deal with a stand? Gonna do a little DIY? :P

The stand's going to be DIY =) I might actually take an Ikea table that's 32" x 28" (not sure how high) and modify it into a tank stand. It'll be reinforced, with doors etc.

Thinking of keeping my mtank, and going aggressive with my 82 gallon.

Thinking about these following fish stocks:

A. 1 Radiata Lionfish, 1 Atennata Lionfish

B. 1 Radiata Lionfish + some scorpionfish

C. 1 Radiata Lionfish + angler

or milder:

D. 1 Radiata/Atennata, 1 powder blue tang

E. 1 Radiata/Atennata, 1 flame angel, 1 kole tang

I've come to the conclusion that PBT's are able to stay in a tank of my size... I've already talked to 8 people with PBT's in tanks of 75 gallons or smaller who've had the tang for at least two years...

but again, everyone's telling me otherwise.

reeferbarra20

Hey , just to let you know aggressive fish get real boring real quick. Lack of color, no inverts, corals exc. If I were you i'd do a full blown reef. Just my two cents. Good luck with your new tank.

I'd have to agree with reeferbarra. A couple gobies, a jawfish, a center piece genicanthus angel, and a couple cardinals will amaze you every time you walk past the tank.

Yea, lionfish and anglerfish are unique, and cool, but they don't interact with the reef as much as the other fish would. You could save the aggressives for a 100+ gallon fish only tank in the future. :D

I'd have to agree with reeferbarra. A couple gobies, a jawfish, a center piece genicanthus angel, and a couple cardinals will amaze you every time you walk past the tank.

Yea, lionfish and anglerfish are unique, and cool, but they don't interact with the reef as much as the other fish would. You could save the aggressives for a 100+ gallon fish only tank in the future. :D

You both make a good point. I still have plenty of time to do research, but here goes my wishy washy indecisiveness again. Here's how my fish list stands:

A.

2 Ocellaris

5 Threadfin Cardinalfish

1 Genicanthus Blackspot Angelfish

B.

2 Ocellaris

2 Gobies

2 Flame Angels

1 Genicanthus

C.

2 Ocellaris

5 Threadfin

1 Flame Angel

1 Genicanthus

D.

2 Ocellaris

3 Threadfin

2 Gobies

1 Genicanthus

1 Flame Angel

E.

2 Ocellaris

5 Threadfin

2 Flame Angels

2 Gobies

F.

2 Ocellaris

1 Kole Tang

1 Genicanthus

G.

2 Ocellaris

1 Powder Blue Tang

1 Flame Angel

H.

2 Ocellaris

2 Purple Firefish

5 Threadfin Cardinalfish

1 Genicanthus

I.

2 ocellaris

2 purple firefish

5 cardinalfish

1 flame angel

J.

2 ocellaris

2 purple firefish

2 gobies

5 cardinalfish

I'm kind of tired of spot feeding my gobies. First, the blackray is actually much bolder. He'll eat a piece, zoom into the cave, zoom back out another to eat, zoom back in. This pattern he has always ends up smashing into the randalli goby, causing that goby to hide and not come out for awhile. The randalli rarely gets any food when I spot feed. The randalli isn't afraid of anything but when it gets run into head on with the other goby, it gets freaked out. SUCH A PAIN to keep these little gobies! They're great, but this is a headache. I may just not keep gobies in the 82, so I won't need to spot feed them.

I'm considering trying to pair flame angels. I've found a LFS that constantly gets 1" sized flame angels. I will first qt them together and have them feed on seaweed covered rocks and flake food for about 2 weeks. Then I'll put in a ugly brown test acropora (if anyone has one to donate, let me know) and first put it in a strawberry basket, then I will open it up only when I'm watching. If they go for it, then I'll shoo them away and throw the basket on. Basically training them not to eat acros!!! Hopefully it will work. I'll also put a lot of large PVC piping inside the QT for them to chase each other around in. I've seen other people's tanks pairing up flames and they seem ok in smaller tanks than I have. Problem is my QT might not be enough room for them.

Otherwise I'll get a single 1" flame and "train" it not to eat acros. And of course, they can always change their mind later =P But I think as long as I stay away from digitata and have tons of acros and feed them with spirulina and they eat seaweed rocks, I should be ok.

I have tons of fish lists up there, and of course PBT's will be screamed at. But hey, this would be boring otherwise ;)

With such a larger tank than your 32 gallon, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to keep 2 gobies.

I think you have a good plan for the flame angels. If they end up eating the 'test' sps, you can always bring them back from the QT tank.

With such a larger tank than your 32 gallon, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to keep 2 gobies.

I think you have a good plan for the flame angels. If they end up eating the 'test' sps, you can always bring them back from the QT tank.

I guess if I introduce the two to different sides of the tank to two different buried pvc pipes, it will be better. I'll feed the other fish in one corner of the tank away from the gobies, and spot feed the gobies. more room might be better, you're right.

Well I'll be sticking in "test" SPS in the QT, so if they go at the one in the QT, i'll either try to train them or they'll be back at the LFS =P

I'm determined! they are beautiful fish.

1 Randalli Goby

1 Blackray Goby

2 Ocellaris

5 Threadfin Cardinalfish

2 Flame Angels

or

1 randalli

1 blackray

2 ocellaris

2 flames

1 TANG (Dammit I want a PBT, hehe)

The tank is taking form:

tank4.jpg

tank5.jpg

I've been going back and forth about what fish to get, so here is my latest list:

5x Threadfin Cardinalfish

2x Ocellaris

1x Flame Angel

1x Female Blackspot Genicanthus

1x Neon Blue Goby (clean my fish!)

1x Randalli Goby

1x Blackray Goby

p_71393.jpg

p_88039.jpg

p_70938.jpg

p_71471.jpg

p_66258.jpg

pw67247blackspot_angel.jpg

threadfin cardinalfish:

apogon.jpg

Or:

3x Dispar Anthias

2x Ocellaris

1x Flame Angel

1x Female Blackspot Genicanthus

1x Neon Blue Goby (clean my fish!)

1x Randalli Goby

1x Blackray Goby

That tank's awesome. I have to recommend a Bellus angel, though. Flames are so...I dunno. I see 'em around all the time.

The anthias sound like a fabulous idea as well, but I dunno about mixing them with angels and damsel species (even if they are just clowns)...

The bellus angel is pretty big. Can it fit in my tank with the blackspot?

I like the female bellus, but don't really like males. THey won't change to male's very likely unless there's another female right?

Flames are beautiful! I don't want to be original or anything, just want a really nice fish =) Hopefully I can get one that won't kill my SPS. I know a LFS that sells them about 1" large. I can get a baby, QT him with nori on rocks and flakes and maybe he won't eat my sps. He'll be the last addition to my tank.

THe Anthia on liveaquaria says their peaceful. But of course one source is never right.

Anyone keep anthias with angels and clowns?

Anthias are extremely peaceful, and will hide if kept with too boistrous of tankmates. May hide all the time and never feed.

ugh, I just saw another bellus angel picture, and I've decided to replace my blackspot with the bellus. The bellus is just way too amazing to pass up.

Tank33_big.jpg

3x threadfin cardinalfish

1x bellus angelfish

1x flame angelfish

2x ocellaris clownfish

1x neon blue/yellow goby

1x blackray goby

1x randalli goby

or

3x dispar anthias

2x ocellaris clownfish

1x bellus angelfish

1x flame angelfish

1x neon blue goby

1x blackray goby

1x randalli goby

Yee-haw, they are awesome.

Ooh, or go for the multifasciatus. Awesome dwarf species.

2x dispar anthias

2x ocellaris clownfish

1x bellus angelfish

1x flame angelfish

1x neon blue goby

1x blackray

1x randalli

too many fish?

do anthias need to be fed like crazy?

I'll be feeding the fish twice a day, once in the morning, once at night. maybe more if I stay up late.

Anthias should be fed a lot. Mine likes frozen Cyclop-eeze and bits of formula one...And it's huge. Only likes tiny bits.

Archived