Coral Vue Hydros

Koden's 98 Gallon Custom

kinetic

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never worked with wood before (other than woodshop back in middle school) so I'm afraid that I'm totally going to mess this up, and maybe have it collapse with the tank on it.

My 82g will have over 700 lbs!

Since I have my stand dimensions planned out, I'll goto home depot to get the wood and get it precut. Then buy some clamps for $30 at costco, wood glue, nails, and stain and see what I can do.

Should I go with 2x4's? Or solid pieces for sides and back? What about front?

Thanks

basement is almost all cleaned out for the equipment

I got my 50g truvu sump on Saturday, so everything is here minus a couple bulkheads and plumbing that savko has yet to ship out to me. They're lagging.

I'll start doing what I can, and then we'll see how it goes.

Use 2X4's with 3/4 plywood and you will be fine....building stand are easy...me and my uncle built mine...

I used oak plated 3/4 plywood, 2X4's and solid oak 1X2's for the moulding

I don't have any tools for woodworking, at all. Just to make the stand would cost me a lot more than just wood. Sure I know 2x4's etc. but I have no way of doing it without investing a bunch for just tools, that I'd probably only use for this one stand.

I get home at 10pm every night from work anyway, and I have nowhere to work on the wood except outside.

I wish I could do it. If you know what kind of tools I need etc. and if it's not too expensive then sure, but really I can't see this to be very worthwhile starting from complete scratch.

All you need is:

Cheap saw: $30-$50

Cheap Router: $20-$30

2 saw horses

It will cost you under $100 for all the tools easily....If you have a harbor freight by you anywhere it will most likely be under $50 they are super cheap there

All you need is:

Cheap saw: $30-$50

Cheap Router: $20-$30

2 saw horses

It will cost you under $100 for all the tools easily....If you have a harbor freight by you anywhere it will most likely be under $50 they are super cheap there

Don't forget about the time... :( Koden, I'm sure there have to be some local reefers that can help you build one. If not and you want to make a drive to Colorado, I'd build it. :)

ah it sucks to burdern local reefers that way. I'll goto harbor freight this weekend and see what I can lookup. I'm still afraid my design will end in 82g of water on the floor and a smashed up $680 tank.

hey koden,

when your tank is up and running you will have to make a trip to sacto and you, me, and yosiod 9 can all trade frags!! Keep up the good work..I dont think making this stand will be to hard, just use good screws!

haha i'd be happy to swap frags. will be awhile though. I want to checkout your guys' setups as well.

I might as well try to make a stand. I've looked at many people's designs to try to see what would make the strongest stand. How in the world do people make those fancy bezels and trim?

I don't know the first thing to wood working. I don't even know how to use a router etc. I've seen router tables though.

I'll have to set everything up outside, and it's storming like crazy these days. I'll have to work under a flood light since I have nothing indoors to work in. A couple hours a night, less sleep, it might be hard =(

if you still need a stand, mermaid has a guy that does custom stands for us. Ask for stephen or preferably Max. Tell them I send you and see if you can get a good deal. I don't deal in big purchases anymore. I screwed up a transaction for a local reefer really badly and I still feel rotten about it =/

if you still need a stand, mermaid has a guy that does custom stands for us. Ask for stephen or preferably Max. Tell them I send you and see if you can get a good deal. I don't deal in big purchases anymore. I screwed up a transaction for a local reefer really badly and I still feel rotten about it =/

yeah I'm still looking for a stand, though I can't come in this week. do you guys have an email? I have CAD designs too to show.

thanks!

My new fish list, what do you guys think:

1x Female Bellus Angelfish

2x Ocellaris Clownfish

3x Barlett Anthias (1m, 2f)

1x Tailspot Blennie

1x Mandarin or Scooter Dragonet or African Bluestripe pipefish

1x Randalli Goby

yeah I'm still looking for a stand, though I can't come in this week. do you guys have an email? I have CAD designs too to show.

thanks!

Oh you can just call in and ask for max. They can tell you which email to send the programs to. Don't forget to mention I sent ya. Or you can send the drawings to me. Im just gonna relay it the one time. I refuse to do big purchases these days =)

I'm going to be getting some GFCI's and installing them this weekend. Some hardwired, some will be pigtailed with the DC8 for my aquacontroller.

I'll be connecting one DC8 to one GFCI, and then running my sump return pumps and heaters on another DC8 not controlled by the Aquacontroller's DC8. I'll start the wiring later this week. I'm currently focusing on building a stand for the refugium, prop tank, and sump in the basement. Here are the pictures of the supports for the floor + sump stand.

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

some equipment I have stacked up:

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

I'm loving your work and this thread. I can't wait to see it w/ water.

Is it possible to bridge across the floor joists instead of right on the subfloor?.... Long term it would be a more stable arrangement, it spreads the load more evenly.

Thanks for the comments!

What do you mean bridge the floor joists?

For this I was just going for securing those two beams going across the floor, I was going to stick 2x4's under the beam itself, but realized that I should just throw on a 2x4 next to it to help lesson the load where it was.

I did a test by jumping up and down over the area, hearing it creak and give a bit. After the support it no longer creaked or give. As far as I can tell =P It should be good enough for the tank. But please elaborate!

thanks =)

I was just reading the posts on pg.4 about the tangs not having enough room. If you have a high current for them to swim against it burns more energy in a smaller space like a treadmill does.

it's true, the tangs will probably ride the currents more, but again, there's still a limit in space, and algae available. Even though I will get them to feed off spirulina and algae prepared foods, it'd be great to give them enough algae to graze from on the rocks.

I think that, in itself, would be a big problem. Plus I'll have a huge fuge keeping my algae problems down. It wouldn't be a good idea IMO.

I'm back in town, project will pickup tomorrow again after work.

Spent the entire day running errands, but then spent an hour doing three pieces of wood. Haha, the ground is uneven so I had to sand down the legs to fit. I had to sand by hand, because our sander ran out of sanding pads. Took about an hour to sand two leg bottoms. THen I used a leveler to make sure they would be even, cut the bar across, drilled a hole, then put the screw in. YOu can see I messed up, made the hole too close to the edge, haha! But i fixed it and it came out good.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

After about 5 hours I almost finished the whole thing. It is DAMN sturdy now, I was pulling on the legs, pushing, jumping, standing, and hammering at it and it wouldn't budge. It's solid. W00t. Problem is, the second plank is warped all crazy, so I couldn't drill it in. Tomorrow I'll buy another piece, hopefully a straight one this time, and then it will be done being built. I will then sand it down with a coarse grain sandpaper, stain it a nice color, and put a protective clear coating over it. Cleanup, then I can setup the prop tank, refugium, and sump + components slowly. Start running it, and then start on my display tank upstairs.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

Exciting news: most of the stand is complete! I sanded it all down, and now it's ready for a nice stain and protective coating. Any idea what I should use for stain and protective coating?

I will be lining the bottom with neoprene for the pump and sump to sit on, they won't be directly on the concrete. The tanks are up just to test fit them. Looks like I'll have plenty of room. Not seen are my skimmer (still new in box unopened), 10lb co2 tank, phosban reactor, topoff resevoir, etc etc. Just the prop tank, fuge, and sump. Right above the prop tank will be the 250watt hqi pendant ;)

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_00010.jpg

Archived