Cultivated Reef

Blenny Thread

Sebea

THANK YOU ALL FOR THIS THREAD

I just want to say I have been debating on adding a tailspot blenny as I feel in love with this fish the other week. I also saw a midas blenny and come to think of it every blenny is just great.

This thread is great and I think I am going to add a tailspot any day now

Pics to come

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea I am all decided. I love the tailspot blenny. However, I just hope I get one with good personality that is out in the open and fun!

I agree the midas just gets to big for me. One day i get one in a larger tank, but thats in years!

• 3 months later...

SAD SAD NEWS

Tailspot blenny that i got was MY FAVORITE FISH

The other day my smaller black clown and my tailspot both went MIA

They are gone. No trace, No evidence, No abnormal Anything.

I am on the hunt for a new tailspot, it was the best fish to watch just hang on rock and pick at the rock!

Damn it!

So, I went into the LFS looking to buy a bicolored Lenny.

Here's the Lenny that I walked out with!

I was told that this little guy ate mysis and prepared foods at the store. I've been unable to ID him so far... Anyone know?

Who wouldn't want to kiss that adorable face in pic 2?

Coolest blenny ever :wub:

^yikes, he doesn't look very good. :(

I picked him up at my LFS a couple of days ago. What's wrong with him? He's hopping around the tank eating pods and such.

had a bi-color and loved it. got a little too big for a 12g nano. so traded it in for a tailspot. equally entertaining, stays out all the time (unlike my woosy firefish) and won't get too big.

• 6 months later...
Blenny_Lover

I absolutey just love this thread, I was gonna start a blenny thread but this one is really official. Lots of pics and information. BTW i have a bicolor blenny and i am planning on getting a midas in the future!

again nice thread!

Nick's Reef

I have this cool little blenny I collected snorkeling, will get pics up once the lights come on. I've had him for about a month and a half and never took a pic of him, he always hid then I thought he died then a few days ago I found him in my sump.

• 2 years later...

the starry, bicolor, black combtooth (not tribal), linear, and tailspot ate flake or pellet immediately. the two spot took a week to eat flake. i've had a segmented for 2 days and he has not eaten. i never had luck with lawnmowers but one did accept nori.

the starry has a very cool personality and acts much like a lawnmower. he is probably aggressive like a lawnmower too but i don't know yet. the bicolor is very cool and acts like a bigger tailspot. the black is similar to the bicolor but hides a lot more. the linear is very mean. the two spot is like a cross between a tailspot and a clown goby. he is matrix fast like a clown goby in his motions but also acts like a tailspot. he's a little bit more shy than a bicolor. the segmented is pretty calm so far and has cool color markings like a tiger going from brown to red to yellow.

m33, u have a yellow eyed blenny. i want one. i also want a blue and gold. ocean nutrition formula one pellet is soft and red which fish love. ocean nutrition prime reef flakes are also red. it's good to have your tanks full of film algae if you are going to get a blenny. 1) if they do not take to other foods they will eat live algae. 2) while u r trying to get them on other foods, they will not starve. 3) algae is part of their natural diet so they need it. keeping your lights on, over feeding, keeping a layer of rock on your sand, keeping the glass accessible for the blenny, and weak flow are all ways to grow more algae.

update on segmented/tiger blenny: he never did eat anything but live algae in the tank. had him for a few months till i put him with a bicolor blenny which bullied him to death.

• 1 month later...
vikingranger05

So i just got my midas for my 12nc.. He dosest seem to swim around to much yet its still his first week in the tank.. I want to get him some tank mates i know a midas will out grow my 12nc so I will be upgrading to a 30 gallon in the next 6 months.. I dont want my tank to have too many fish I really want a pair of clown do you think im safe to add a pair of clowns with my midas at this time.. Or what would be a good tank mate i want something more free swimming i was thinking a 6 line possibly. Thank you in advance i love this thread!!

Yeah im late on this thread, but here are a couple of my fav's from around Feb this year. Pete(Tail Spot Blenny) is still doing wonderful in my 28 gallon and has grown a ton....i really need to get some new shots of him

2011-11.jpg

2011-09.jpg

2011-10.jpg

2011-08.jpg

2011-07.jpg

people always regret 6 lines cause they will one day turn aggressive. a pair of clowns would definitely be too aggressive in a 12g, and still pushing it in a 30. i would wait till your 30 to add anything.

Sorry i didnt comment on the 6 line....I have one in my 120 gallon and he is always hiding....not agressive at all, because hes barely out. I also have 3 chromis and a blue tang so maybe they need more tankmates to be active....just a thought. 12 gallons may be pretty small for a 6 line as well.

Archived