Cultivated Reef

Blenny Thread

Sebea

DogfoodEnforcer

i have a question...

do any of your guys' (and girls') blennies sit in your frogspawn?

i have a little bimaculatus (twin spot) blenny and he loves to sit on the frogspawn and look around at stuff. does it not sting the blenny?

my blenny hosts the frogspawn, a big reddish/blue mushroom, the GSP, and the algae clip. not to mention the live rock.

oh yeah, here's a pic of him/her (sorry for quality...it's still really small!)

corals081.jpg

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are those Tail-spot Blennys herbivores, omnivores, or carnivores?

Are they Agressive, semi-agressive?

Thanks!

I find tailspots particularly beautiful, unique colorations and everything,

they are herbivores, but i have heard will eat some meaty items, mine how ever has never touched the Mysis shrimp that i give to my Fire Fish

he is shy but recently becoming more active. wonderful fish-

I gotta be honest I think the name Lenny is played out on Blennies. From now on there is an unwritten rule you cannot name a blenny Lenny. Mine is named Uno. This rule does nto apply to the blennies that already have the name Lenny. smile.gif Just playing, but i find it funny how majority of blennies are named Lenny.

My lawmower was named Munchie...

he died though

my Fire Fish ate him... :(

I havent named my Fire Fish or Tailspot Blenny now though haha- they get along fine

• 2 weeks later...
seahorsedreams

singing3.jpg

"Under the sea, under the sea

Darlin’ it’s better

Down where it’s wetter,

Take it from me"

barnacle2.jpg

orgsizeblenny.jpg

I am thinking of adding a Tailspot Blenny to my tank. Several have mentioned that their blennies pick at their clams and sps. Has anyone had a tailspot do this or were they Midas or others? Also, I though that Tailspots were herbivores, someone mentioned they were eating pods, are they omnivores or herbivores?

I had never seen half of these guys before! How cool! I think my next tank is going to be very blenny heavy. I have a starry (like the one in the last post) and I love him, but there are some really cool colors and markings on some of these others. He is a real character and eats whatever I throw in the tank. i toss in (lose) a small piece of seaweed about once a week. As for getting along with other fish, he is a little b!tchy, but not bad. If you get a goby, just make sure he has a shrimp to dig tunnels for him.

my lawn mower blenny has a good personality. if you give him a placo tab he will carry it around the tank like a little puppy with a bone. and if you stick your hand in the tank it will bite almost every time. he is a very interesting and has quickly become the favorite of most visitors.

sound like fun :D

• 1 month later...

I was searching for a bi-color for a while and finally found one at an LFS. So I got him and brought him home. He's been in my 12g for 2 days now and has acclimated well and found some hiding spots. He does show some aggression but it is mild and no harm has come from it. He shares the tank with a 6-spot sand sifing goby, a firefish, an engineer goby (not an actual goby), and the CUC. The only aggression seems to be with the similar sized 6-spot goby but it is rare.

The 6-spot goby and the engineer goby spend most of their time in their sand caves (actually, the engineer goby NEVER leaves his cave, just peeks out for food). The engineer is the biggest yet most tame fish in the tank. The 6-spot has always been territorial yet not really threatening.

The firefish likes to spend its days swimming in the current and its nights sleeping in a cave. I had heard of aggression between firefish and bi-color blennys but have yet to see any at all.

When I decided on the bi-color it was mostly to add some life to the rocks and ledges. Most of my other fish hang near the sand all the time with the firefish all alone swimming in the current. The bi-color is amazing to watch and full of personality. He watches the room intensely and interacts with everything. I highly recommend them. I would definitely be careful who you put them with though.

I found my lawn mower blenny dead on the floor yesterday. Blenny mummy. Not sure why he jumped and I have a canopy but he found a way out. Oh well... he was a cool fish. :(

I found my lawn mower blenny dead on the floor yesterday. Blenny mummy. Not sure why he jumped and I have a canopy but he found a way out. Oh well... he was a cool fish. :(

always sucks to lose fish that way.

always sucks to lose fish that way.

Yah it does. I was just admiring him the night before too. Oh well... i'll buy another one when I reset up my tank after I move this summer.

I was searching for a bi-color for a while and finally found one at an LFS. So I got him and brought him home. He's been in my 12g for 2 days now and has acclimated well and found some hiding spots. He does show some aggression but it is mild and no harm has come from it. He shares the tank with a 6-spot sand sifing goby, a firefish, an engineer goby (not an actual goby), and the CUC. The only aggression seems to be with the similar sized 6-spot goby but it is rare.

The 6-spot goby and the engineer goby spend most of their time in their sand caves (actually, the engineer goby NEVER leaves his cave, just peeks out for food). The engineer is the biggest yet most tame fish in the tank. The 6-spot has always been territorial yet not really threatening.

The firefish likes to spend its days swimming in the current and its nights sleeping in a cave. I had heard of aggression between firefish and bi-color blennys but have yet to see any at all.

When I decided on the bi-color it was mostly to add some life to the rocks and ledges. Most of my other fish hang near the sand all the time with the firefish all alone swimming in the current. The bi-color is amazing to watch and full of personality. He watches the room intensely and interacts with everything. I highly recommend them. I would definitely be careful who you put them with though.

holy crap...5 fishes in 12 gallons of water...I thought I was bad with 6 in 24 gallons. You must have one helluva bioload.

holy crap...5 fishes in 12 gallons of water...I thought I was bad with 6 in 24 gallons. You must have one helluva bioload.

actually my nitrates stay around 10-20ppm so not too bad. I know of people with much larger tanks that have higher nitrate levels. All of my corals are healthy except for a Goniopora which is slowly bouncing back. They are just plain hard to take care of. I stay aware of detritus build-up, blow it off the substrate to get it out of the tank, and clean the sponge out regularly. I have very little algae as well. If you saw the tank you probably wouldn't think it looked overcrowded. I have reached my limit on fish though. I might add some more hermit crabs to my CUC but mostly just because I like to watch them.

*edit* - i have 4 fish though, the CUC consists of a cleaner shrimp, around 8 blue legged hermits, 3 astrea snails, and 2 nassarius snails.

• 1 month later...

hey guys and girls, I just got a blenny for my bc 14 to company my clown, ill post some pics later.

I put benny in lastnight and he hid right away. ive seen him a few times now after hours. do they usually like to hide alot? from what i heard in the rocks etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I first decided I was going to get my feet wet in this hobby and started my research, I've had a soft spot for the very simple looking bi-color blenny. So fast forward a year and some months I finally have my first tank up and running. My first fish of course...

S4022294.jpg

S4022288.jpg

I love this guy, he's so entertaining to watch. I have so many holes and tunnels in the rock so I never know where he's going to poke his head out of. He can back into one hole, and almost instantly pop out another on the otherside of the next rock over. He does get pretty territorial with the hermits, but I've seen my cleaner shrimp practically walk on his head and he's just content sitting in his hole taking it. He has bitten my hand on a couple occasions. But after seeing me hand feed my shrimp a few times, he's gotten a lot more comfortable swimming around with people peering in. I just absolutely love this fish!

• 1 month later...
Would i tailspot blenny and two clownfish live in peace in a 24 gal. aquapod? or are the clownfish too aggresive.

bump for this question.

bump for this question.

I would think they would be ok. I have two Picassos (true Perculas) and a Tail Spot in a 36 Gallon cube and they are very friendly toward each other. Tail Spots are awesome, BTW!

bump for this question.

My husband has 2 clowns with a tailspot in a 20 gallon high and they all get along fine.

cool thanks....I know I shouldn't but I am thinking about pushing it with 2 small clowns and this 1" tail spot in my 14g.

I can always move it to my work tank in case I have problems.

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I am a relatively new nano-reefer and am lucky enough to work at my LFS, so I am getting along splendidly with lots of great advice and help. I recently purchased my first fish -- a combtooth blenny who has a fantastic personality and provides me with hours of entertainment. I am already pretty frankly head over heels in love with him.

I searched all over the internet, though, and can't find any pictures of another blenny like him. He is similar in certain ways to the linear combtooth blenny, the tailspot blenny (he has the bright, iridescent stripe under his eye), and the bicolor blenny, at least in shape and the deep purple/blue colour of his face and head. I would be delighted if someone could identify him for me so that I could brag about him more accurately. :D

Attached is the best picture I could take. His tail fin also shows a rosy translucent pink that isn't really evident in the shot, and sometimes his belly darkens so that he is almost entirely the brown/olive green that shows on his top half. This is him just outside his favourite hole while having his cyclops at feeding time.

post-39544-1224379829_thumb.jpg

Archived