Top Shelf Aquatics

Blenny Thread

Sebea

addam4208283

i am thinking about adding a blenny to my 12gl nc. but first i want to set up a fuge. how long should i have the fuge going for before getting the fish?

ADAM

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a pair of tailspots. They always cuddle, and they never attack each other. They stick close together. Freakin adorable. I just got them 2 days ago, so they're still stressed:

416284982_5e3ceef4c3.jpg

416284849_e24046aa30.jpg

416285316_520c017c5d.jpg

white spots:

416285214_e41efe036d.jpg

addam4208283

wow thats a nice looking blenny. i wish my lfs had stuff like that. although if they did it would prob be like $60 if not more.

ADAM

Im jealous, kinetic those are some killer blennies. How would a midas do in a 20 gallon frag tank with a small cave in the corner.

wow thats a nice looking blenny. i wish my lfs had stuff like that. although if they did it would prob be like $60 if not more.

ADAM

I actually bought them as a pair from LiveAquaria's Diver's Den. My LFS's never carry these, nor can I ever find them in stock online. So far I can't find any information on how to tell the difference between male/female, so it'd be impossible to pair without trial and error. The fact that these were caught by the diver as a pair already, guaranteed them to be a pair. So far they are always together!

I know reefermadness.us currently has one in stock.

Im jealous, kinetic those are some killer blennies. How would a midas do in a 20 gallon frag tank with a small cave in the corner.

You can get them still, look for them at LiveAquaria and reefermadness. A midas might be ok in a 20g, but I'd say something like a 30g would be better. A tailspot would be perfect for a 20g.

Im sorry to say but that fish above me is kinda ugle. In my own opinion, of course. I do like the blue spots and its eyes.

here is a picture of my midas, he thinks he is an anthias and schools with them lol

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

anything i put in the tank he eats, so he is definitely a healthy guy, i would like to get a tailspot now that i see how beautiful they are

Im sorry to say but that fish above me is kinda ugle. In my own opinion, of course. I do like the blue spots and its eyes.

:P

I have a 20g planted tank/fuge and really want to have something to look at.

Do you guys think that the tailspot blenny would do well in that environment( have 20lbs of rock in there, 20 lbs of sand). I want something that will not effect the pod population too much, but an occassional snack is okay.

Or any other blenny suggestions? I also like the barnacle blennies but I'm worried that they would eat all my pods.

I've had a tailspot blenny in my BC8 for going on three months now. Tried to get pictures, but every time I approach the tank he starts dancing at the front. Looks just like everyone else's, anyway. :P

I've fed him Cyclop-eeze and Arcti-Pods, but his favorite food is...plain old flake. Picks algae from the rocks and glass all day, and has pretty well decimated the pod population. My rock was about twice what I'd have liked to pay, but I've been glad of it since; it has tons of nooks and crannies and he's in and out of them constantly.

Mine goes pale and shows his stress bands and spots when he sleeps, and often 'flashes' them when I feed him (I'm guessing from the excitement). Co-exists peacefully with a scarlet skunk cleaner and some dwarf hermits.

• 4 weeks later...
avalanche1201

Ill be setting up a 55gal tank for my dad and was looking into a bicolor blenny...but it says they dont get along w/ firefish and I wanted to get one of those as well.....

does anyone have any opinions? do you keep yours w/ firefish? do they fight or anything? thanks

• 4 months later...

Although I've been in the hobby a few years, I just picked up my first blenny. For such a little fish, he has tons of personality. I just had to get him. I've only had him two days and got him from salty critter.

Klauswitz Blenny aka Linear Blenny:

blenny.jpg

blenny2.jpg

fish.jpg

Does anyone substitute diet for your blenny? In the past I have let mine just eat algae that grows on the glass and rocks, yet I feel that the guy could be a little happier with another choice.

Anyone feed it fresh veggies or use a food clip with something leafy attached??

K-bye thanks :happydance:

• 4 weeks later...

Here are a couple pictures of mine. The picture is not the greatest as there are limitations with my stylus 800. However it works. Also, in the close up he looks thin, but as you can see in the other photos he is just fine and getting along with my green banded goby :D

PA050005.jpg

PA050013.jpg

PA050016.jpg

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
pinballwizrd315

I am going to be setting up a 20 gallon tank and was wondering if i will have a problem with keeping a tailspot blenny with a Randall's Watchman Goby and a pistol shrimp and maybe a clownfish. Thanks for your help.

I know its not normal aquarium decor, but my blenny loves his barnacle cluster home (about 4 inches long). He basically spends 90% or more of his time hanging out in the barnacle cave with only his head poking out (probably thinking about when its time to eat). Its cool to watch him hang out and when he gets bored with one cave he has 5 other caves to choose from (number of caves depends on the size of the barnacle). The barnacle cluster also comes in handy when i move live rock around durring water changes. He just happily shelters himself safetly in his cave no matter what I do (even if i pick up his home.. lol). If you don't already have one get one..... It not only brings out your blennies personality it also blends well with the aquarium. BA1112.jpg

My Bicolored blenny was the first fish that I bought and have been happy with him ever since. My YWG doesn't like him too much because the entrance to the YWG and Tiger Pistol Shrimp are about 2 inches away from my blennys little cave. My wife actually saw the YWG chase the blenny and put it's whole mouth over the blennys entire head. She screamed becasue she thought it was going to eat the blenny even though they are the same size. My blenny is my favorite fish and will not trade him for anything!

Archived