Pod Your Reef

Blenny Thread

Sebea

Yeah my Bi colored just jumped out of my main tank a month ago. I was so sad. However, now I can buy another clam. He nipped at my clam's mantle untill there was nothing left. I didn't realize it was him until it was to late. So sad.

They do nip at clams. So clam owners beware...

Spankey~

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear that spankey.

I guess the clam/sps nipping is a bit more serious then we expected?

Sparkling_Surfer

Here are more pictures of my midas blenny, Willow...

(click pictures to make larger)

willowfeatherduster2bw.th.jpg

willowfeatherduster11jp.th.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Schwazreef

Hanging out. :D

100_1330.jpg

100_1329.jpg

anyone else got have any good shots of their blennys on their favorite perch?

10yearNano

I have one female bicolor blenny in my 20g. Had her for almost two years now. Will take pics when my camera arrives next week.

My favorite behavior of her, besides the way blennies manage to explore all the tiny caves in your rock, is that when she's not in her caves sticking her head out.... if a snail approaches whatever "ledge" she is currently hanging out on.... the blenny will ram the snail with her head, sending it flying to the substrate. :lol:

Blennies always remind me of Dr. Seuss characters.

waterfaller1

Hi..can anyone tell me if they have kept their tailspot with sps or clams? I am contemplating taking mine out of my nano because he is always tearing up my trimma goby's tail.

Yes, they do all seem to be named Lenny???

But mine is called Lenny Briscoe! :D

I looked everywhere for a tail spot and I could not even get one thru any of my lfs and at the time liveaquaria were not in stock. I happened to pick this lawnmower up, he's cool and recently started eating clown food also....

lenny01.jpg

lawnmowerblenny.jpg

Hi..can anyone tell me if they have kept their tailspot with sps or clams? I am contemplating taking mine out of my nano because he is always tearing up my trimma goby's tail.

I don't have any SPS in my 30g but my tailspot doesn't bother my maxima, any corals or any other fish.

• 1 month later...

Anyone heard of a bicolor picking on an open brain? My brain has been retracted (insert chuckle here) for a few days and I haven't been able to figure out why. After reading on this thread about them picking on clams, this would make sense.

Of course he is always on his best behavior when I am in the room!

Mine is named Briscoe too...an I thought I was so clever. My Rainford's goby is Logan... Logan is the bad cop.

bonecrusher71

Not sure about the bi-color but I had to remove my zebratail cause he would nip at everything also my mollie miller blenny would do the same so i keep my z-tail

in my 5.5

has anyone noticed lawnmower blennys poop like crazy?i just got one today and all hes done is eat and poop ,,,,now ive never noticed my other fish poop but this guy has huge turds,,,,its kinda cute ,wierd but cute

Lawnmower blennies are herbivores, which is the reason for the prolific poop. They have to eat and "process" lots of algae to get their nutrition. Kind of like a big freshwater plecostomus, which also are prolific poopers.

• 5 months later...

I gotta be honest I think the name Lenny is played out on Blennies. From now on there is an unwritten rule you cannot name a blenny Lenny. Mine is named Uno. This rule does nto apply to the blennies that already have the name Lenny. :) Just playing, but i find it funny how majority of blennies are named Lenny.

Eh who needs good pics I sure don't:

tank1056.jpg

Thats speck the yellow watchman. His buddy spot (yeah not very inspired on those names) the pistol shrimp is even wussier. They hide at the first site of me approaching.

-pinner

Well, my new blenny is still in QT and the thing won't eat! I rubberbanded a piece of nori (which he didn't touch, so I used redleaf lettuce) onto a little glass dish and he shows no interest...any tips for getting him to eat?

At first I was about to say persistance but noticed you've had him about six days. My blenny enjoys mysis once every three days or so with glass scrapings once a week or so. I doubt that helps much but alll I can suggets would be a new type of food. Good Luck

-pinner

At first I was about to say persistance but noticed you've had him about six days. My blenny enjoys mysis once every three days or so with glass scrapings once a week or so. I doubt that helps much but alll I can suggets would be a new type of food. Good Luck

-pinner

Mysis for a blenny? Maybe I'll try that. I've got a lawnmower, if it makes any difference. I've tried nori, lettuce, hikari algae wafers, caulerpa from a display tank.

What I figure is the glass dish with green attatched to it is a bit too unnatural. He's got a week more in QT. Oh well. Maybe he'll start eating when he gets to the display tank, with more natural looking surroundings.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everybody!

I just found this threat today and I thought I would post some pics of my Blenny. I must say that he is my favourite fish. This little guy has such great personality. He eats just about anything and poops a lot :P . Super outgoing and friendly and loves to swim all over the tank and sift the sand.

When I first bought him, he remained inside his cave for a few days and I thought that he was going to be very shy. But I was wrong! :D He is very curious and when I out my hand in the tank he bites it. Super, super cool friendly fish B) , words can describe how cute this fish is.

I have been thinking about getting a second Blenny but I have been told that they are agressive to their own kind. has anybody been able to keep 2 Blennies in the same tank successfully?

Here are some pics of my Blenny :):):)

Bb.jpg

Blenny2.jpg

In this picture you can see my Blenny and Goby..they get along very well.

GandB.jpg

Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

How often should you feed a blenny? After reading this thread I know what to feed the fella. Just don't know the frequency. Thanks a bunch.

Archived