Innovative Marine Aquariums

Blenny Thread

Sebea

Although not too old, I want to revive this thread for information and pictures. It's a great thread and I need to get pictures of my bi-color blenny.

Let's keep this thread alive folks.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20120524_184051.jpg

20120524_183328.jpg

It's actually harder to get a shot of him in the shell then out, he spends a good 90% of his day out and about.

• 4 months later...

I wanted to refresh this thread with my new tank mate. Forktail Blenny. I built him a house and he found it pretty soon. He is hiding there from a clownfish.

I bought a forktail blenny a couple of days ago, on Sunday and it doesn't eat too much except nipping rocks and occasionally finding something on the sandbed. The first 1 or 2 days it was swimming everywhere but after being scared by CBS and a bigger clown it stays usually close to the bottom, near the cave it now occupies. My other blenny, Midas never eat from rocks and always stays in the mid to upper part of the tank. Should I be worried? I don't know if it gets enough food. Is it a normal behavior of Forktail Blenny? Anyone with the same fish observed the same?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi all,

I am a relatively new nano-reefer and am lucky enough to work at my LFS, so I am getting along splendidly with lots of great advice and help. I recently purchased my first fish -- a combtooth blenny who has a fantastic personality and provides me with hours of entertainment. I am already pretty frankly head over heels in love with him.

I searched all over the internet, though, and can't find any pictures of another blenny like him. He is similar in certain ways to the linear combtooth blenny, the tailspot blenny (he has the bright, iridescent stripe under his eye), and the bicolor blenny, at least in shape and the deep purple/blue colour of his face and head. I would be delighted if someone could identify him for me so that I could brag about him more accurately. :D

Attached is the best picture I could take. His tail fin also shows a rosy translucent pink that isn't really evident in the shot, and sometimes his belly darkens so that he is almost entirely the brown/olive green that shows on his top half. This is him just outside his favourite hole while having his cyclops at feeding time.

post-39544-1224379829_thumb.jpg

I see that you haven't been active for a long time, so you might not see this (or perhaps you have already gotten an answer), but just in case other people have this blenny and don't know what it is, it's Ecsenius ops.

oldSWseamomma

I love my Molly Miller Blenny! Of course I had to name her Ariel because of her red tufty hair-do. She loves to eat Nori which I give her twice a week, brine shrimp, and pellets which she chases like a little dog going after a little red bouncing ball. She is always looking to see what kind of goodies I put in the tank for her.

post-79867-9275_thumb.jpg

oldSWseamomma

I found a boyfriend for Ariel ! All the SW fish books tell you not to put two blennies together but when I bought Ariel she was full of eggs so we knew she was a she. When I went back to my LFS the gal that owns it knew she had a male in one of her sales tanks so I brought him home. Very risky thing to do and I really wouldn't advise it unless you trust your local LFS. All I can say is Ariel is totally in love with Zeus and they are getting along fine :0) They are true entertainment when watching them interact. The little yellow clown goby was there to break up any fights but he didn't need to. So now I have a mated pair of Molly Miller Blennies :0)

post-79867-0-70181100-1367332084_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
oldSWseamomma

Here is an update on Ariel and Zeus ! They must be getting along very well .......... Ariel is so full of eggs she looks like a fat tadpole Omgosh ! I hope I see tiny baby MM blennies in my tank :0) I have been watching to see where her den is in my LR pile and when I see that she has laid her eggs I'll be putting a little bit of Nutramar Ova in there to see if they will eat that. Sorry for the awful pic but she was so busy last night that the only place she would sit still at was near my pump outets. You can see her white-ish belly is pretty full of eggs.

post-79867-0-96026800-1368624234_thumb.jpg

Hi, Blenny lovers. I just got two MM Blennies and I am in love! :)

Here is a very short video of one of the blennies.

Here is a video of feeding time with two fat Molly Miller Blennies, Sebastian and Scuttle, darting around lightening fast for food.

Enjoy!

oldSWseamomma

Update on Ariel & Zeus getting along. I installed a new powerhead in the aquarium Sat. afternoon after I had completed the monthly cleaning routine. That night I noticed both of them playing on it :) They were constantly "flying" up there and back down and I figured how bored are they with my tank that anything new just facinates them :lol: Last night when I was feeding them I was looking over the tank and noticed they had laid eggs on the base to the powerhead !!! omgomgomg So here is what Molly Miller Blenny eggs look like. It's not the best pic but you get an idea of how pink they are.

post-79867-0-52572200-1369057505_thumb.jpg

Update on Ariel & Zeus getting along. I installed a new powerhead in the aquarium Sat. afternoon after I had completed the monthly cleaning routine. That night I noticed both of them playing on it :) They were constantly "flying" up there and back down and I figured how bored are they with my tank that anything new just facinates them :lol: Last night when I was feeding them I was looking over the tank and noticed they had laid eggs on the base to the powerhead !!! omgomgomg So here is what Molly Miller Blenny eggs look like. It's not the best pic but you get an idea of how pink they are.

Wow! You are so lucky to have a pair. Are you going to try to raise the fry? :)

Here is one of my MM Blennies:

IMG_0049-XL.jpg

oldSWseamomma

Wow! You are so lucky to have a pair. Are you going to try to raise the fry? :)

Here is one of my MM Blennies:

IMG_0049-XL.jpg

I love how your's is peeking out - soooo cute ! Are those barnicles ? I might have to get a couple of those for mine so they can have a cave. I do have quite a few cave-places in my LR structure tho.

No I'm not set up to raise babies but am reading up on it so who knows maybe in the far future :0)

I love your John F. Kennedy quote it's one of my favorites. Somewhere in the long version of the quote he says that humans have the same percentage of salt content in our bodies as the ocean water. How amazing is that !

Hi! Yes those are barnacles. I purchased them with an order from reefcleaners.org.

Raising fry would be a worthy challenge. The draw back to all the effort of raising a fish to maturity is that it must be difficult to see them go to other aquariums. I always have trouble letting go of the pets I have raised because I get attached. I have discovered that I have trust issues and always wonder weather the puppies, kittens, baby birds, foals will have a good home. I guess it is a leap of faith.

JFK was a philosopher. His ideas and speeches are inspirational.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived