Top Shelf Aquatics

Blenny Thread

Sebea

never ended up getting that spot tail blenny. now i know that these guys are herbivores, but will they eat all sorts of micro alg? i might be able to get a "two for" with getting one of these guys. i have always had a problem with this green leaf growth on the lr in my 12g nano, as well as this red birds nest looking stuff (long red alg that clumps together). would this little guy pick at this for me if i got one? he would also get other stuff as well cause his room mate will be a red cap goby.

thanks

ADAM

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is a great thread, so I wanted to revive it, I'm having issues deciding between a tailspot blenny and a barnacle blenny, tailspots have a lot of info on here, and seem great, but not too much about barnacles.

I think I already posted Blenny (orange-spotted) but I wanted to add that he loves the mini-mysis. He will rarely eat algae but I do see himn occasionally pick at it. He loves Marin S pellets and frozen mini-mysis best though.

post-28664-1196132758_thumb.jpg

Well I've read all through this thread, and nobody else has my blennys :)

They're not as colourful as the true reef species, but they have an awesome personality, float up vertically on the glass to say G'day whenever I'm around, and nip at algea on the back glass as well as taking pellet food....

They're Petroscirtes lupus, aka Brown Sabretooth Blenny (more info here and here), and I love the little buggers.

blenny2.jpg

blenny3.jpg

I have two, one slightly larger than the other... they tend to colour shift depending on what they're on, get along with each other.

One was curled up inside a larger shell the other day looking for all the world like Venus de Blenny....

Love 'em so much I'm tempted to buy a more colourfull sort, but reading about agression with similar body shapes I might hold off.

These two guys were hand caught locally, but they seem to adore tank life.

cool blenny. so where did you find these guys?

i am having some trouble finding a tail spot blenny at either of the lfs near me. nobody has heard of them.

ADAM

cool blenny. so where did you find these guys?

i am having some trouble finding a tail spot blenny at either of the lfs near me. nobody has heard of them.

ADAM

Hand caught in the Gold Coast broadwater by a mate of mine... SE QLD, Austtralia.

H20, tell me a little something about the fish. I have a 30g, so its not like i can put mayn fish in it so i have to pick wisely, is it worth it? im impressed by its appearance, very good looking fish.

So, I went into the LFS looking to buy a bicolored Lenny.

Here's the Lenny that I walked out with!

I was told that this little guy ate mysis and prepared foods at the store. I've been unable to ID him so far... Anyone know?

Who wouldn't want to kiss that adorable face in pic 2?

post-1765-1196560942_thumb.jpg

post-1765-1196560956_thumb.jpg

post-1765-1196560967_thumb.jpg

H20, tell me a little something about the fish. I have a 30g, so its not like i can put mayn fish in it so i have to pick wisely, is it worth it? im impressed by its appearance, very good looking fish.

They stay relatively small compared to some of the other Blennys. I love mine, and I could see myself having one in every tank that I ever get in the future. Great personality, and mine will eat out of my hand, and likes to come up to the glass nose to nose with me and watch me, swimming back and forth. He hides at night and doesn't come out under the mooonlights. He swims out in the open all day and picks at the rocks and glass. He is an herbivore, so I only have to feed him a couple of times a week, as he nips at algae and stuff in the tank. I think that helps balance out a small tank bioload wise, as you don't have to feed him as often as some other fish. He does not have eye popping colors like a purple firefish or orange clownfish, but he has his subtle stripes and spot on the tail. I would recommend him in a heartbeat. Peaceful fish and gets along great with my yellow clown goby, they hang out together.

Can a blenny and a goby live happily in same tank?

ive seen some pics in this thread showing them together, I was just curious if that was odd or normal.

Thanks!

I have a midas blenny and a canary blenny in my 90g. I just added the canary this weekend, and he is growing bolder by the day, even if he is a little scared of the midas. I love the rasta coloration of the canary, I couldn't pass it up when I saw it.

I need to post that my Tail Spot Blenny passed away a couple of days ago, after doing awesome for a few months. I still do not know why. My YCG and my corals are doing fine and my water parameters are normal. I did some looking around on the forums and it seems that alot of people are having these fish die within 5 months. There may be some question on the correct diet for this fish. Mine was doing great and then within the span of a few hours, he started breathing fast, getting discolored, and started gasping and passed away. Just a thought for those that are considering this fish. They are awesome fish with the best personalities, but there may be an issue with longevity in captivity. Just a thought for you.

masterbuilder

My latest addition....a Two Spot Blenny (Ecsenius bimaculatus). I picked him because he stays very small, around an 1.5 to 2". He has been in my tank for 2 weeks and has adjusted to his new home, eating everything and will even eat from your fingers. Lots of personality....like most blennys.

Blenny2spot.jpg

Best pic I could snap...he wont sit still and I have no patience when it comes to photography.

Mark

My Tail Spot Blenny, RIP, he was funny when it came to a camera. He would always hog the frame. I could not get a pic of anything in my tank because every time I would go to snap the pic, he would appear right in the lens. He would follow the camera around, trying to block my shots. He wanted to be the star of the pics, and it made me mad at times if I was trying to get a pic in a hurry of something...... :lol:

My lawnmower blenny sits on my magfloat too, eats from my fingers, and is generally a dog in a fish's body. I've never seen a fish so interested in the goings-on outside the tank.

I noticed that there are no blennys in the fish info database, I wish someone would add some. I really like alot of the blennys I have seen in this thread and am definitely going to look into one when I get my aquapod set up after the new year. Thanks for resurrecting this great thread and thanks for the great info and pictures.

Archived