Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nano-Reef.com - Pico Contest! - General Contest Discussion

Gilman

*posts!*

so brave....!

Rules for basic/stock category are basically ready to post. Waiting for final mod approval.

Will get custom rules written after work this morning.

Hopefully will get both posted this evening.

Not going to wait till I have the judging part done to release the basic rules outline because I don't want to hold things up any more than I already have. Ok? Ok.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is it still considered stock if I take a minibow and:

Paint the back

replace the filter

replace the light bulb?

I am pretty sure this is okay but I REALLY want to be sure.

thanks

Harial

:unsure: Gill when you make the final official rules can it be posted onto its own thread. putting it on this thread would be hard to find among the pages and pages of this thread. thanks.

ps. I hate this thread.

oh well that's just LOVELY <_< . I just got back from looking in 3 petcos, 1 petsmart, and 2 walmarts and I can not find a regular 2.5 gallon tank. I have checked all their websites and ebay and I STILL can't find this blasted tank. I have probably burned up the tank's worth in gas alone trying to find it.

If anyone knows where I can find a 2.5 tank please reply or email me. Please keep in mind that I can not afford really expensive shipping charges as I am a poor teenager.

One of the reasons I was so excited about this contest was because I was under the impression that we could use mini-bows in the stock if we didn't mod it. And mini-bows are rather inexpensive and easy to find. I hope I won't have to back out of the contest because of this. :(

ask one of those petshops or your LFS to order you one... there should be no problem with that.

oh well that's just LOVELY <_< . I just got back from looking in 3 petcos, 1 petsmart, and 2 walmarts and I can not find a regular 2.5 gallon tank. I have checked all their websites and ebay and I STILL can't find this blasted tank. I have probably burned up the tank's worth in gas alone trying to find it.

If anyone knows where I can find a 2.5 tank please reply or email me. Please keep in mind that I can not afford really expensive shipping charges as I am a poor teenager.

One of the reasons I was so excited about this contest was because I was under the impression that we could use mini-bows in the stock if we didn't mod it. And mini-bows are rather inexpensive and easy to find. I hope I won't have to back out of the contest because of this. :(

You can use the minibow in the custom category. Just enter your tank in the custom category instead.

I think Gil has a point... this thread should be left to die when the rules have been posted. No more discusion and/or debate... the rules are the rules... period.

Plus, the new thread should be plenty visable.

hey, I've got a ?

when was the contest supposed to have officially started? because I have my tank and all the equip, and my corals are sitting in a tank with barely any light (8 watts over 5.5G), and I'd really like to get a pic of this bare tank tomorrow so I can get my corals in there ASAP...even though that's the only thing that's going in there for a month or so while my LR dies off).

Just for FYI, my Petsmart, and the other's I've visited keeps their 2.5g seperate from all their other tanks, usually with the glass bowls or in the reptile isle. If they don't stock it, they should be able to order you one.

when was the contest supposed to have officially started? because I have my tank and all the equip, and my corals are sitting in a tank with barely any light (8 watts over 5.5G), and I'd really like to get a pic of this bare tank tomorrow so I can get my corals in there ASAP...even though that's the only thing that's going in there for a month or so while my LR dies off).

Latest date was the 15th of OCt.

And for those who don't think they'll win, so what? I probably won't win, but it will still be a fun contest, and I plan on having some unique(for nanos) designs. As a newbie, you can start the tank, and then through the 6-months or so, learn quite a bit from everyone else thats doing the contest with you.

As a newbie, you can start the tank, and then through the 6-months or so, learn quite a bit from everyone else thats doing the contest with you.

I think this is the SOUL of the open contest. Of course there are going to be crazies with insane setups that you never thought of and thats the POINT!

You try your hardest to make the best tank possible, and when people show you a better way you really will KNOW why. You won't just be copying somebody elses preset plan for success, you'll be learning about how your ideas work, and what can be improved. I love it!

I can't wait to see the entries into this contest just so I can kick myself for not thinking of (insert good new nano idea here) first and integrated it into my tank.

Good exception for the 20w screw-ins, and even better note about their actual performance ;)

Hrm, gotta order the rest of my stuff, I've been lazy! Have been working on my custom Maple hood though.

There is a small error in the rules. In the custom catagory, you copied/pasted the Hoods and Stands section from basic, but didn't change the wording to reflect that it is about the custom catagory. So are our stands/hoods going to effect the judging in the custom catagory or not?

Archived