Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nano-Reef.com - Pico Contest! - General Contest Discussion

Gilman

Judging Criteria for Custom Cat.

Presented Simple/squared away, but Complicated at the same time.

Judging Criteria for Basic Cat.

Um, Basically The Simple, most quante style set up.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Travis

Judging Criteria for Custom Cat.

Presented Simple/squared away, but Complicated at the same time.

Judging Criteria for Basic Cat.

Um, Basically The Simple, most quante style set up.

Neither of those two criteria is measurable. I think it would be advantageous to come up with a Vision or Mission Statement and use measurable criterion that supports the Vision or Mission Statement.

still interested in the stock category, but cant find a 2.5gallon with trim in the uk

any uk reefers know of one

why the insistance on trim? i could fake the look with black tape?

thanks

brianm

outcome based assesment! you need to list your goals before you can measure whether or not you have reached them and to what degree you have completed them...

I went to the LFS today and picked up an AC 20, 25w Heater, Sand, 10 Gallon Salt Mix, and a new Hydrometer.

All I need now, is my Lighting and once the starting date comes around, my LR.

I also found out that my LFS has begun carrying Saltwater...

Originally posted by MattC

outcome based assesment! you need to list your goals before you can measure whether or not you have reached them and to what degree you have completed them...

I agree! PMAI: plan, measure, assess, improve.

Originally posted by br1anm

still interested in the stock category, but cant find a 2.5gallon with trim in the uk

any uk reefers know of one

why the insistance on trim? i could fake the look with black tape?

thanks

brianm

They're basically only allowing "standard" 2.5g tanks. These are mainly AGA or Perfecto 2.5g tanks with the black trim. This is to differentiate from other non-standard deco tanks ,etc... You Euro guys kinda luck out due to you having different "standards" available.

i don't see why the euro guys or custom guys should be out of the Basic running just because they can't get AGA brand. this isn't an AGA sponsored contest, is it?

if people can get a tank with the exact same specs (europe or a fabricator) why shouldn't they be allowed the same entry? the onus should be on them to prove the specs are the same (e.g. measuring tape pics showing the exact same dimensions/layout).

the trim is superfluous. it doesn't play that big of a role imo to get someone kicked into Custom. unless there's a reason i don't see/know.

OK...here we go...

I am going home this weekend (leaving Wed at 9PM). Since I am a college student, I will be building my canopy this weekend at home (with all the big fancy schmancy power tools). I will be entering the BASIC category. A few things:

1: eventually (after the contest) I would like to be running 3 screw in 20W bulbs, so that is what I would like to wire into my tank. Would it be okay to add all 3 sockets and just use one? I guess a trust issue would come into play there...

2:is there any limit as to what fan we can use, or if we can use a fan at all? I'd really like to as it's gonna get hot under there eventually

3: as far as livestock, LR, etc goes, is it anything goes?

4: I have an AC mini (I think...it's clear and tiny, and not that palm thingy) - can I use that? I think it's 30 gph or something

4.5: can we use live rock rubble (not living rock, but just dead, dried out coral rubble) in the filter without a light or anything? I'd prefer using that over floss filter media because it's got the biological happenings going on

5: what is the limit on power heads? Can I use a 70 gph head? Thanks

GrizzleBee's

That outcome based assesment thing sounds cool!

Except you definitely wouldn't want that to make up the whole judging criteria, cause then people could set really low standards for themselves and win with lame setups......:*

Originally posted by Tigahboy

Man. let's get this party started!  I'm dying over here.  haha.

No kiddin... me too. Let's pop the cork on this.

PS.. I'm cool with "whatever tank Gill likes the most" as the judgment criteria.

also...can we paint the backs of the tank?

I'd really like to be in the basic category, because I wouldn't hold any water against the custom guys. If I were to go custom, I'd have:

40W PC lighting

custom overflow

stock penguin mini

heater cover ( to hide it under the rockwork)

that's about it... I'd be willing to get rid of 20 watts and the overflow/cover and go with a smaller filter...I just don't want to do too much that I don't want...

Originally posted by Tigahboy

we dont have to have a tank to enter RIGHT when the contest starts, rite?  Cuz I won't be ready either.

nor will i.

Hey all, I'll be in on this in the stock catagory. I don't really have the time to read through this HUGE thread, packing to go to Maine. So I will not be anywhere near my tank when the contest starts. Really excited to see this thing take off, I was with it when it went fron a 1g to a 2.5g idea.

So is the taking a picture of the tank with a recent newspaper date still on or is there something else I need to know about.

RULES!!!!!

SO if we have to start this on the 8th, when are the bloody RULES going to come out?!?

Not to sound short or whatever, but I would like to know before I go home so I know what I can and can't do with the hood...thanks...

comeon gil!!! We are dying for some guidence here! *dies*

J/k, but really I hope we have something to work with soon, cuz the start date is comming up quick!

Archived