Pod Your Reef

reef 'n ale's 37.5g custom

reef n ale

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys! :)

I'm dying to get this thing going too! It seems trying to keep the plumbing simple and direct has actually made it more difficult to pull off. Working around the external overflow has been a fun challenge!

Here is the latest plumbing picture.

To get in the "plumbing zone" I suggest the following...chanted to yourself while handling or at all thinking about PVC...

"Be the Tigah, Be the Tigah, Be the Tigah..." :lol:

If you rock back and forth (like Rainman) while chanting, this is what you end up with...

post-13001-1128826263_thumb.jpg

The only thing that I see that may be a problem is un-equal water return back into the main tank. I don't know if it is too late to plumb a manifold. A manifold equalizes the water pressure. "T" connectors must be plumbed pretty much dead center in order to come close to having the water flow equally through the return bulkheads.

Thanks Freak!

Thanks for the input RA! Please tell me if I'm completely wrong on this, but won't having a ball valve on each return let me control the flow from one side to the other???? If not, I may have to rethink this whole thing... :tears:

Rob

The ball valve though not as accurate as a gate valve (as it relates to water adjustment) may just do the trick. The issue I see that may come up is if you had to do some type of major maintenance (something that would require you to completely close of the ball valves). It maybe difficult to access and re-adjust them when the tank is filled, stocked and against a wall.

Ok RA, I got absolutely no sleep last night!:D

After thinking about this ALL NIGHT and today,I still think it's a valid design. If one return has more flow, adjusting the ball valve of that return will force water to the weaker return. The water will have nowhere else to go. It has to work...right? :huh:

I thought alot about access to valves when I designed this. I will be able to reach all valves either from the sides or through the cabinet. This should make it fairly easy to adjust as needed. I'll post a side pic tonight to see what you think.

Rob

Sorry, I got locked up while posting...again.

Here's a pic of the side access.

Please add any comments/suggestions before I get the glue out! :)

Rob

post-13001-1128826427_thumb.jpg

Looks good. The only thing I would've done differently is adding a ball valve before (or above) the first unions right after the bulkheads (for the lower holes especially). so if you needed to take out the pump and it's plumbing, you could close the ball valves to keep the water in the tank, and then disconnect at the unions.

For return lines, manifolds would definitely keep them equal. But re: the ball valves to equalize, ultimately it should be fine since you don't need to have the flow EXACTLY even, and the ball valve adjustment will get you close enough.

Thanks for your input Tigah!

I see what you're saying about the ball valves. I put a valve and union at each pump, so if/when I have to change one out, I can close the water off right there. The thought of ever having to change plumbing is scary! I guess if it ever came down to that, I could use plugs on the bulkheads to seal the tank completely(from the inside).

So, hopefully, what you're saying is that the overall design should work!?:)

Rob

I hear ya d! I'm getting there slowly but surely.

Here's a pic of my unpatented, and probably unoriginal, pump lifter/dampening system. As you can see, it's a very complicated and technical apparatus not to be attempted by amateurs.:D

Rob

post-13001-1128823571_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by reef 'n ale

I hear ya d! I'm getting there slowly but surely.

Here's a pic of my unpatented, and probably unoriginal, pump lifter/dampening system. As you can see, it's a very complicated and technical apparatus not to be attempted by amateurs.:D

Rob

Is this some kinda high fashion for reef tank plumbing? So are these platform shoes or pumps? Pun intended :D Man, I thought I took a long time to get my tank up and running. You are setting a new record. I have a 1 year old, so what's your excuse? :P Keep up the good work and let's see that tank filled soon.

Yes, slow can be good.

And for the record, I've been informed by a person of great distinction, that it can also be referred to as "attention to detail".;)

Rob

Archived