ReefCleaners.org

reef 'n ale's 37.5g custom

reef n ale

Well, it's here!

The entire order was shipped last Friday and it arrived Wednesday. That's even over a holiday weekend. That's fast!

Everything was custom crated and put on a pallet.Besides actual shipping, I was charged only for packing materials used, even though there was obviously a great deal of time and effort involved. Everything was so well packed it took me like an hour to open the three crates!

One more time, I have to say Steve and Randy are great guys to work with. Their customer service is the best and I would not hesitate to recommend SoCal to anyone looking for the best quality!

Rob

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't be upgrading for a while, but my next upgrade is probably gonna be a 60 something gallon from Socal, I've heard plenty great things about them...and these lights:

Giesemann 260 Moonlight (T5) Metal Halide Lighting System

:

I always follow people's threads, I just rarely say much because they get so long and I don't want to add my banter :).

WOW! the packaging on your tank is superb! i'm hoping to save enough money to ask socal creations to make me a tank! can't wait to see your tank get up and running. good luck :D

Ruth, your banter is always welcome on this thread!:)

Thanks for the kind words, Babycakes! When you're ready for the next tank, definitely check them out. Their prices are very reasonable for the quality and service you get. BTW, are you laughing at me when you say "good luck"? Actually, I laugh at myself when I think about the stuff I have to do on this!:D

Rob

Holy cow Rob, looks like Steve and Randy did a superb job in packing the tank and stand. Now on to the pvc solvent sniffing, eh? ;)

Much luck to you with the pvcing!

Thanks winnie! I think I'm going to start that sniffing tomorrow night! I'm sure going to be careful with that glue...;)

I'm excited to see your new tank started!

Rob

Hehe... I hope you don't mind me posting this here.

It's MY pic! Woo-hoo! (More to come soon, in a couple days)

dmdx89.jpg

I know. I like huge pics. I'll shrink it down later, though. (not at home right now)

You can post anything you want here, Flo. I'm not hung up on this whole "stay on topic" thing. That wasn't exactly the pic I was expecting, though.;) BTW, 600x450 seems to be a good size(hint,hint).:)

Rob

Fixed the photo. (I just get so excited over fine detail, hehe.)

And for the record, I posted a pic in the Makeshift Lounge, though it'll only stay for a few days (since I know I'll change my mind), so catch it! :P

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Reef n ale,

I love the way you are documenting everything from shipping to setting up this beauty. I can hardly wait to see it at your home, I will make it a point to follow your thread.

I too have a project, that I've been working on for quite some time, my chiller arrived this weekend and next week my lights come in.

I'm on the edge, so I know what your feeling. :)

Mike

Caught it too,Flo! Was that on account of me?! :happy:

Thanks Mike! Have you started a thread on your new project? I missed it if you have. I'm assuming you're doing something other than a cube on this one.

And, yeah, my lights are going to be another 2-3 weeks before getting here, but that's ok...it'll give me some time to figure out the rest of this project.:D

Starting pvc today Tigah! Dry run though. No sniffing until next weekend! :P

Rob

Answering from a PM...

Thanks for the kind words, Jonathan!

The skimmer is an AquaC EV120.

Euro bracing is evenly spaced around the top of the tank with no center brace. Center bracing has, well... a center brace. Sizing is based on tank size and thickness of acrylic used.

I live in southeast Pa. Shipping was $183.00 from Ca. Getting that price took some research, but it can be done. It was much less than I expected!

Rob

I'm dialed in Mike!

Jonathan, I decided there was no need to get fancy with the sump. It's a basic design including skimmer area->small fuge->return area. The sump is about 27 gallons total with about 13 gallons in the sump during normal operation. The dimensions are 26"x14"x17" with a actual water depth of 8". I'll post pics soon!

Rob

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Reef,

When does your tank arrive? And have you decided on a chiller? What brand, what size? Any ideas on how much current you want flowing at one time?

Will you be more SPS or LPS? What is your theme, less rock more live sand?

Mike

Hey Mike! The tank/sump/stand arrived last Wednesday(see pg.3).

I'm going to start with less rock this time. The 24g got too crowded, too fast. I didn't leave my self enough room for corals or cleaning. I'm going to enjoy more sand space on this one! Mostly LPS for now, although I may try an SPS or two much later on.

I have a Mag Drive 9.5 planned for the sump and a Pan World 50px-x for the closed loop. No wave makers. I'm prepared to change either of these pumps if it doesn't go well.

I spoke to Chris today and we both thought is was a good idea to wait and see how warm the tank runs before deciding on a chiller. I'm not 100% I'm going to need one yet. If/when I do, we'll size one at that point.

Rob

Well, here's what I have so far. It's all dry fitted,no glue yet.

The 2 upper/outer lines are sump returns.

The 2 lower/center lines are closed loop returns.

The 2 lower/outer lines are closed loop drains.

The 1.5" line from the external overflow is the sump drain.

It's tougher than I thought it was going to be to work around that external overflow, but I think this might work.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!???

Rob

post-13001-1129000645_thumb.jpg

Archived