Innovative Marine Aquariums

reef 'n ale's 37.5g custom

reef n ale

That's some first rate plumbing you've got going on there, Rob. :flower:

I dunno if you've already discussed this already... but is the Mag 9.5 going into the sump itself or are you going to have an outlet from the sump that'll lead to the intake for the Mag?

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know Freak, I thought it would be a good idea to make sure it's all going to fit before I glue it. Not a good idea?

Thanks winnie! I really hope it works. It's giving me a headache,and I don't even have the glue out yet.:D

The Mag Drive is going in the sump. That's good, isn't it?

Rob

MagDrive in sump will probably help with cooling the pump itself. It's an awesome pump, but tends to get really warm when plumbed in-line, out of water. You should be all right with it being in the sump.

Originally posted by reef 'n ale

It's giving me a headache,and I don't even have the glue out yet.:D

hahha, that's going to be a whole different monster to deal with! Remember to put down plastic trash bags around the area when you glue. I just read through mikeguerrero's thread and he had a pvc glue incident on his carpet!

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

LOL,

Winnie you are so right about the plastic trash bag, my carpet took a major hit. I had to spend so much time trying to get it out with all sorts of products.

I will never do that again, and I'm glad I posted about it, because I'd hate that to happen to anyone else.

I could've have killed myself had I purchased the blue PVC cement, it would've looked even more ridiculous on my carpet, at least the grey matched my black stand, hehehe...

Mike

Looks sweet, Rob. That's a damn fine plumbing job. I'm going to rework my overflow plumbing this weekend and put a shutoff in there. Hopefully I'll be cycling by the end of the weekend.

Ok, let's see...

Don't get pvc glue on carpet. Check!

Don't get pvc glue on back of acrylic tank. Got it! Thanks guys!:D

Thanks d, I'm trying. Now, are you moving everything from your old tank to the new? Or are you getting new LR and stuff? The reason I ask is I'm not exactly sure how to make my switch over...when the time comes, of course.

Rob

Rob,

I'll be moving the crushed coral and some of the liverock into the sump. I bought new sand for the display. I'll put about 50% water from my current display in there for about two to three weeks, then I'll put the remaining liverock from my current tank in the display. That should do it. The majority of the corals will go in the new tank, but some will be forced to live in the basement 10g frag tank. I put a sump on it last weekend. I'll post pics. -D

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Reef,

You are doing great and learning from my mistakes, (glue on the carpet was a disaster).

Also good job on the plumbing, don't cement anything untill it all adds up. Because once that glue sets in in 4 minutes, it's over you cannot move it, turns to stone in stregnth.

I guess I missed your page 3 because I saw pictures of the tank being shipped but not on display. I will double check.

Anyway, I'm ready for any new documentation on your end, I'm enjoying your thread a lot.

Mike

Hey d, I might ask for more help on the switch over when I'm ready. I'm not entirely sure I understand the correct way to do it yet. The only thing I know for sure right now is I do want to get new sand for the display. I'll be using my existing sand for the small fuge area in my sump.

I'm kind of recovering from a few too many last night, so I don't think there will be any new pics today. In fact, I'm SURE there won't!:D

Thanks Mike, I thought dry fitting first made good sense. I'm glad I'm doing that way.

Rob

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Yeah Reef,

Dry fitting is the best, just get a red marker and make small notches on where they connect.

When you take them apart and place the glue aligning is easy since you just match up the marks.

It worked for me perfect, after the fact that I did it wrong the first time around and found out that not even superman can take them apart after the glue sets.

Mike

Yeah Bill, I may have to talk to Chris about returning them. He offer's great customer service,so I'm sure it won't be a problem.

The more I think about it though, it's a very romantic look. Maybe it would get my clowns more in the "mood"! :D

Rob

You know Ruth, you may have something there! We could calll it the "Shagflow Breeder". :D Ok,ok...that was stupid.

Ahh...Chris FINALLY posts to my thread! I knew that might get you going.;)

To clarify things, The AquaMedic fixture has been on backorder. Chris has been working hard to find one for me. I let him know a while ago that there was no pressure. I'm still not ready for it yet, so why try to rush things!:)

Rob

thumbs-up.gifLooks good Rob. I love the lighting. :) I'll help you on the switch over, no problem. Its a great idea to use your exisitng substrate in the sump, that's what I did and put all new sand in the display. I was moving from 30 gallons to ~ 27 gallons with sump, so I used a majority of my existing water witha bit of new water. Very easy you may have to wait out a small 2 -3 day cycle, but that's easy if you have the sump running, 5 -10 gallons of established water, and teh rest new water. Cycles fast liek that. I've cycled many FOWLR tanks like that.

That is a fun game...too frickin funny! :lol:

I'll need help for sure. I don't trust myself that much. Maybe you could help in person?!

That would be cool...

Rob

Archived