reef 'n ale's 37.5g custom

reef n ale

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rob,

Ideas to keep the sand on the bottom of your tank from blowing around:

• Go BB
  • Use cutting board with a thin layer of sand glued to it for your bottom.
  • Go BB
  • Make a false wall in the front 1" of the tank with sand in it wit hte rest of the tank BB. (the illusion of sand with the benefits of BB)
  • Go BB

Getting my drift?

I'm thinking about changing my set-up to BB because I'm sick of dealing with the hassle of sand.

I hear ya d! I get the hint, and I know the benefits of bb, but I just can't get over the look. Sand just looks soooo much better to me. But, then you do have the down sides. Oh well, I've got a few ideas of how to solve the problem...just not really,really good ones like yours! :lol:

Rob

Yeah, I don't get that statement either. :huh:

Beautiful examples Trav! It's just not the look I prefer, but I understand the concept. If I was going for more of an SPS dominated tank, I would consider it.

BTW, I think your smart too. ;)

Rob

Want to elaborte on that statement?

I'll take a stab at my interpretation ... Basically does Bomber post here on NR? I've only seen him on RC. Hence the comment on his not "playing with the little people" here on NR.

His BB beauty isn't exactly like the rest of ours; it's just a little bigger.

I like how BB tanks allow you to "easily" get some crazy high flow, but I'm still not completely sold on the look. Personally, if I could figure a way to have a sand bed that wouldn't blow around in 3000+ gph flow, I'd probably do it. Of course, to each his own ... I'm not about to say one's better than the other, there's already too much reading on the subject as it is. Oh great, did I just add to it as well? :(

The coral's in those pics Travis posted to look great!

So did you get the Maristar modded so that you can turn each T5 on individually? That was the original plan with the first light setup, right?

Still pleased with the light? Which ballast did you get with it? The BWIII?

If I was going for more of an SPS dominated tank, I would consider it.

exactly. BB is more for you weird sps ppl. haha.

and some LPS (eg. Open Brains) would be much happier on a sandbed.

moral of the story: don't do bb just cuz it's hip - consider the type of livestock u intend to keep.

Ahhh...Bomber! I get it now. I'm not an RC kinda guy, so I wouldn't know that.

No Jon, it turned out that the Maristar got shipped to me direct from Sunlight Supply, so it didn't get to Nano Customs to get the mod. I'm still going to do it with Chris' help at a later date. I guess after I get it all together.

BTW, I got mine with the BW-VII. It's a pretty freakin nice ballast! :)

Rob

bomber is the spokesman for bb set-ups of RC. he gets involved in every DSB vs BB debate which is funny but the man is a marine biologist and really knows his you know what.

Tigah is 100% correct..if you want LPS then bb is uncessary because you wont need such a high flow rate..the advantage of no sand in a SPS set-up is that you can put closed loop outlets or powerheads on the very bottom and keep detritus suspended= much more efficient skimming and no waste breakdown.

I'm tired of my sand. Its coming out this weekend. The pics Travis posted have conviced me, plus I'm lazy and don't wanna clean sand anymore.

I'm tired of my sand. Its coming out this weekend. The pics Travis posted have conviced me, plus I'm lazy and don't wanna clean sand anymore.

WAIT! You need to do some research on how to do it. It's not just taking the sand out. You will have to cook your rocks for about 3 months to get all the Phosphates and other ditres off of them. It's best just to wait, so you don't kill all of your stock from a skyrocket excess of nitrates. RC has some good articles on how to "Go BB".

BTW, for my upcomeing tank, I am going to have a turn over rate of 97.5x :D

:lol: you dont need to Travis, iv not my P04 is 0 and other levels going well But there are so meny dif storys on this :lol:

but high flow IMO in nessecery(sp?) i have a Tunze 6080( 8000) and 2 aqua clear 4000 ( 1600 lph each) in a 33gal ;)

( please dont take over this thread :D)

WAIT! You need to do some research on how to do it. It's not just taking the sand out. You will have to cook your rocks for about 3 months to get all the Phosphates and other ditres off of them. It's best just to wait, so you don't kill all of your stock from a skyrocket excess of nitrates. RC has some good articles on how to "Go BB".

BTW, for my upcomeing tank, I am going to have a turn over rate of 97.5x :D

F*ck that, I've got a very well established sump/fuge. I'll be fine. In fact, I've already started. Its only a 20L. The buffering capacity of my main tank is probably half that of my sump.

( please dont take over this thread :D)

To hell with Rob's thread. This is my to BB or not to BB thread now (sorry, Rob).

To hell with Rob's thread. This is my to BB or not to BB thread now (sorry, Rob)

Hey, you ladies can bicker all you want on my thread. All I ask is that no one starts crying. :P

Rob

BTW, I'm still keeping the sand. :lol:

Rob

I got the majority of it out. The rest I'll just siphonn out during my water changes. I'm much happier with the tank. I think it'll be much easier to maintain now. I've always been an advocate of heavy feedings for corals and that doesn't mix too well with substrate. I'll let you know how it works out.

Awwww...thanks d. Although I didn't care at all! ;)

It's coming along nicely. Thanks for asking! hehe

I started to move a few of my "better" corals over from the old tank. I'm moving them first just to be on the safe side when I start to move the rockwork.

I absolutely love the look of the halides and T5's. After seeing the way this display is going to look I won't miss the pc's in the slightest!

Rob

Archived