Cultivated Reef

Open Discussion with Chris (nanocustoms)

ccjung

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Chris,

Question about the 4.24 upgrades...

We will be able to keep our existing JBJ 2x24, and just add your heat shield and one of your 2x24 lights/ballast (all wired and enlosed)?

If so, I'll buy one yesterday!

Thanks,

Manse

91lxracer

So what is up with the Helios 10w Actinic 03 bulbs? I have had my Nanocustoms Larnie Edition for about 7 weeks, and both Helios bulbs are toast. I have been running the lights full time four about 4 weeks. Is this normal?

Chris

Nickeleye

Do you ever run the actinics without the fans on or are there "x" hour long periods of time where the actinics are on by themselves with no air flow to cool them?

Chris-

You have a voicemail from me. I will be warrantying out those bulbs, but since they are subject to Commodity Axis's warranty, I must ask you to submit your bulbs for a claim.

In the meantime I will be shipping out replacement units.

We can talk offline..

Chris

stoney waters

Chris

You Should be recieving soon, if you havent already, my package containing the t-5 acticics for return. Remember I only need one replaced. Any word yet on the exact cause of these failures?

Also. Is it possible to get only the replacement bulbs? If so I would be interested in a half dozen or so for an experiment I am planning.

T5 failures are probably related to the quality control (mainly temperature sensitivity) of one or more components.

If ALL of the T5s out there came back, I'd blame temperature for sure... Even tho most systems average less than 115F, they can get hot. I think that some of the T5s have cheap(er) components in them, causing them to fail prematurely. Its almost a crapshoot tho, because there are a few hundred T5s out there that have been put into systems, and sporadic failures.

I will be talking with commodity axis shortly to push the T5HO concept closer to market. Ive noticed that Fulham has some PONYs that will drive 13w T5s, so it looks promising..

Chris

23" i believe.

Ive gotten comax to promise it, but because im not too keen on their ballasts, i may go with their fixture, gut them, and use the fulham PONY 113T5.

13w for an 11" bulb. External ballast.

Chris

Bulbs are not "rated" but merely "recommended" power. The ballast dictates all of that.

Currently, i dont carry the "bulbs" I think part of the reason the T5s are failing is due to the built in "end of life sensors" overheating.

I am going to be asking commodity axis and fulham if they can develop a reef specific T5 (bulb only) for us.

Chris

Chris,

can you give us some preliminary info on the protein skimmer? which chamber will it go in, how is it powered, etc....i realize it's still in development but i just want basic info to make sure i don't modify my nanocube now and then not be able to run the skimmer. thanks!

I intend on putting it in chamber 1 but havent settled on it yet. I know lots of people are running 2 pumps, so i will be considering that.

Chris

Whoops, forgot about this thread. I posted in the ICA thread, but wasn't sure if you would check that. Do you need a reefkeeper for the ICA to run properly? and How powerful of a retun pump should be used (gph)?

Reefkeeper(or something similar) is only needed if you want precise temp control. I am working on a 2 way controller (TECs can heat AND cool), but that will be available later.

You just plug the device in and it will chill..

The return pump can be any GPH, but becuase of some head loss in the tubing, I have been running the 24g pump (290 GPH) with great results.

Hope this helps

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Is nanocustoms working on a 70w metal halide in the 6 gallon?

If so, when will they be out to buy and in about what price range?

Stephane

Is nanocustoms working on a 70w metal halide in the 6 gallon?

If so, when will they be out to buy and in about what price range?

Stephane

Hey Chris, as you know my tank has the 3 24 watt PCs and the 1 10 watt T-5. I would like to upgrade my hood to be like the mike guerrero edition without the rear compartment light, obviously. I would need 2 more T-5. In the pic of the hood it looks as if there are two different sizes of T-5. What sizes would I need? and Where is the R2 moonlight light placed in the hood then? I might just have to send the hood to you to be installed. LOL

Thanks -T

I can't wait to get this cube running! All I need is the reefkeeper, 2 more T-5, and the ICA, then I think I'm pretty good to go (unless you come out with the ICA controler and skimmer soon). I'm planning to have a pretty awesome setup for water circulation. I hope it works as planned. :)

tMoney - The two extra T5's you'd want are the same as the one you've got. The picture is a little misleading, but they are all the same size. The R2 moonlight becomes a problem for that "signature model". The hood is so maxed out with PC's there's really no extra room under the splashguard for the R2's. It's kind of a give-and-take situation. You gain more daylight/actinics, but you miss out on the option for R2's.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I have been in and out of business meetings all day today, so if i havent been able to answer your call or emails, I apologize.

I will try to return all calls I missed yesterday and get back to you if you emailed.

As always

Chris

Archived