SaltCritters.com

Open Discussion with Chris (nanocustoms)

ccjung

Hey Chris when are we looking at for time to where the 24gal DX hoods will be ready to released? All this new info I've discovered since finding nano-reef has me wanting to upgrade my lights so bad lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow... this is an old, forgotten about thread.. With the recent issues happening to the 24g, Ive made a separate statement about the 2005 models and my course of action.

My #1 priority in this hobby/business is to assure that my customers get whats safe.. With JBJs policy on modded tanks, I have to make sure you guys are covered. Check out this thread if you havent already..

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=61364

as always,

Thanks for the support and patience..

Chris

CollegeReef

still figuring out acranyms as i am new to the hobby.

on nanotuners, what is the CCFL, cold cathode fuge light? i.e. to grow marco in the back?

thanks

The CCFL is a cold cathode flourescent light. On the 4.24 series, because of the bulb configuration, using the R2 moonlight means it would reside outside of the splashguard (acceptable, but I prefer keeping everything under the splashguard).

The CCFL moonlight can be demonstrated in nano-pioneer "sinistards" setup.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...light=sinistard

Sinistard has tried almost all of my configurations, lol. Hes been a great DIY'r and a great asset to the forums. Check it out!

thanks for your support,

Chris

• 2 months later...

Hey chris, here's some questions: (I also pM'd you but thought this might be good for discussion)

How do you setup the CCFL retro that you have? I have a finnex 30" (XL-3055) lighting fixture. I want to install moonlights, but not sure if I should go with CCFL or with the R2 moonlight. I have a 32 gallon 30" long x 18" high x 16" wide tank.

Will these guys fit?

Also I want to retro in an additional 24 or 36 watt PC into the fixture, will the ones you sell for nanocubes fit? Do you have better ones that are as long as the tubes I have already?

thanks.

Do you have any retros that have longer bulbs, like 15"?

Also, is the CCFL used for moonlights? Or is there a different use? I've only seen them used as moonlights. How do they compare to led's or the R2 Moonlight? THere isn't a lot of details on the website about it.

thanks.

CCFLs came straight from computer modding, the neon lights used.

Their color is more diffuse than the R2s, which are a 5 LED light source.

The retros with longer bulbs are the 36w(16.5") retros. The 24w are 14". These bulbs vary about .5 inches due to manufacturing limitations.

Chris

Originally posted by ccjung

The CCFL is a cold cathode flourescent light. On the 4.24 series, because of the bulb configuration, using the R2 moonlight means it would reside outside of the splashguard (acceptable, but I prefer keeping everything under the splashguard).

The CCFL moonlight can be demonstrated in nano-pioneer "sinistards" setup.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...light=sinistard

Sinistard has tried almost all of my configurations, lol. Hes been a great DIY'r and a great asset to the forums. Check it out!

thanks for your support,

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I have tried most of your 12g setups LOL.

If anyone has any questions about my CCFL moonlights feel free to ask.

I plan on sticking CCFL moonlights on my bigger tank as well.

Nathan

I agree with embryo. The color is better than PC actinic's, IMO.

By the way Chris. Any word yet on 11" actinic T-5's? Will you have some available in the near future?

Stone.

Still waiting. I saw the T5 III but the fixture is WAAAY to big. The good news is that bulbs will be available separately and I have some nice PONY T5 ballasts that seem to drive them well.

Also, there are waterproof endcaps, which means we can start to reoccupy the feeding door for more light modification.

Chris

so the R2 is more powerful? I think i might get that. Any pictures of the actual product and the parts it comes with? I want to see if it's possible to mount on my lighting fixture.

Originally posted by ccjung

Still waiting. I saw the T5 III but the fixture is WAAAY to big. The good news is that bulbs will be available separately and I have some nice PONY T5 ballasts that seem to drive them well.  

Also, there are waterproof endcaps, which means we can start to reoccupy the feeding door for more light modification.

Chris

Thats good, I really only need the bulbs anyway. I already have the ballast you mentioned. My whole upgrade is hinging on getting a few of these bulbs.

Thanks for the info. Keep us posted.

Stone.

Originally posted by Rick J G

Hey Chris,

Do you have specs & sizes on the Sunpaq bulbs yet?

I was most interested in the 27 watt bulb.

Rick

I should have posted my questions about the Sunpaq bulbs in this thread.X)

Any word yet on the Sunpaq bulbs Chris?

Thanks,

Rick

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris,

This time I'm checking to see if you have seen any specs on the Sunpaq 18 watt bulbs?

I’d like to see what’s available and if they are any better than the 18 watt JBJ bulbs.

Thanks,

Rick

Archived