Pod Your Reef

Open Discussion with Chris (nanocustoms)

ccjung

nanocustoms.com

HI Chronicles,

Sorry it took long to get back to you... I think i remember you have a 2005 hood. Currently I dont have a DIY kit for the 2005 (the ones that leave here are "tuned" for performance). I should have the DIY kits ready for the 2005 late this month. (I need to build in a factor of safety, ie. the DIY heatshields are vented & run cooler, so performance of the PCs are slightly compromised for safety).

1) where does the fuge light ballast mount?

>> either inside the hood in the right hand corner or externally, depending on what you want to do.

2) If I order the adjustable VA with the 3.24, can it be used on the fans that come with the fuge kit?

>> Yes.

3) Is all that's needed to mount the ballast in the existing ballast box, just to drill 2 holes for the cords to go through and mount it inside the box?

>> Yes. You will drill 1 hole for the ballast lead and use the existing holes for the Power and Power switch. Sorry for the dead link, it should be at:

www.nanocustoms.com/catalog/pdf/324.pdf

4) Do you offer a 4.24 setup?

>> the 4.24 will be out shortly as well, but you wont be able to put an R2 moonlight above the splashguard (clearance issues).

5) Is there anyway to split the existing 2x24 on seperate powercords/switches?

>> No, unfortunately the current 2x24 (PONY 226) is all powered off of the same cord (you "COULD" put an inline switch on the leads going to the bulb, but that will overdrive the bulb that is in operation).

The best solution to independent control of 2x24 is to use 2x PONY 126.

If yes, do you sell the cords and switches?

Hope this helps (or didnt).lol.

Chris

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nanocustoms.com

xoshagsox-

Unfortunately the 2004 hood has different standoffs (bolt pattern). In the 2004 there are 4 screws holding in the splash and about 9 that hold in the rear splash for the fans.

In the 2005 there are 10 that go around the entire hood. What most who really want a fuge light on an 04 model will make the rear piece out of plexi. I will be making some of these out of plexi in the next few weeks.

Hope this helps

Chris

Thanks for the info, answered everything. I'll be looking for the 4.24 kit (or maybe the 92w setup if I can't wait that long :P ), I plan to use the moonlights that are in it now, just drill the heat shield and pop them through.

Chris,

The new 24 gal hoods finally make it out of customs! I have a 2004 model(no moonlights) and want to upgrade lighting. Do you have an idea of the cost for the DIY?

Bob

Nanobob, It looks like they didn't. I don't know what this means now for the 2005 24g hoods. I am awaiting a reply from Chris and may have to give him a call about this.

Here is his response from another thread:

nanocustoms.com

Nano-Reef.com Sponsor

Update:

The 24s that came in yesterday are still the old hood. #$%#$#@!!!.

Chris

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-09-2005 06:06 PM

Hey,

I got this reply back from JBJ:

Hello,

the New splash guard for the 24g Nano Cube is still being designed.

The new version will protect the fans and allow more heat to be released that is generated by the lamps.

thanks,

JBJ-USA Aquarium Products

Tel: (310) 672-4099

Fax: (310) 672-7261

M-F/Pacific Standard Time

www.jbjlighting.com

They claim Design, but they are already in the states.. I should be really careful with the release of this info, but like ive stated before, I call it as I see it, and I have confirmation from my sources that they are here, just waiting on clearance.

Chris

Chris,

What throws out more heat, your 3.24 upgrade or 70W MH? My problem is do I go with your 3.24 upgrade or your future 70W MH upgrade. I have a 12g DX hood that I plan on using for this mod and I am concerned about heating up the water. I'm afraid to have water evap or should I just buck up and do the DIY topoff mod too?

Thanks,

when do you expect the preskimmer to be completed?

and what exactly would that include?

would it be like the hagen for the AC HOB's or is it entirely different like the cassette mod?

thx, -don

Watt for watt, the heat is about the same, they roughly emit 40-50% heat based on rated wattage. Its all about distribution. In a PC, its spread out across the length of the bulb, whereas with a MH, its concentrated in a small patch.

Evap shouldnt be a problem in an 05 hood, in fact, its lack of evap/oxy exchange is now an emerging problem. I expect to be releasing some venting or you can do it the cheap way (open the feeding door!!).

Hope this helps.

Chris

Originally posted by deadmanh

dang.... i feel bad fer ya dja1980... you been waitin a while huh? how long?

I think there are a few of us that have been waiting since the end of November. Chris gave me the option though, and I agreed that it would be best to hold out for the 2005. We just didn't think that it would take this long. Chris is definitely making it worth our while though. He's a great guy!

Originally posted by ccjung

Watt for watt, the heat is about the same, they roughly emit 40-50% heat based on rated wattage. Its all about distribution. In a PC, its spread out across the length of the bulb, whereas with a MH, its concentrated in a small patch.

Evap shouldnt be a problem in an 05 hood, in fact, its lack of evap/oxy exchange is now an emerging problem. I expect to be releasing some venting or you can do it the cheap way (open the feeding door!!).

Hope this helps.

Chris

Hey, I open my feeder door for better oxygen exchange! I have to admit though, as long as the new ventilation system can move air across the top of the water like when the feeder door is up. If 72w of PCs would give off roughly the same heat as a 70w MH, I don't think most people will have a heat issue. With the heatshield in my '05 hood and 72w of PCs my temps are more than acceptable and the tank hovers around the 80 deg. mark.

Chris,

I have a stock 24G w/led lights. I want to upgrade the main lights and add a fuge light. I'd like to have different timers for mains, fuge and moon lights, plus I'd really like to have a least two power leads for the mains so I can phase them on/off.

I've been looking at the 3.36 plus T5 but I'm not sure if I can get what I want in the way of control. I also believe I'll need to add fans behind the main lights and replace the stocks one right?

Can you hook me up with the right parts?

Thanks,

Drew

I just went to order a top but do not feel like I need to provide my age/sex/birthdate to order online.

Not a one of my vendors or myself require this information on forms. Why do you require it?

With identity problems such as they are, I am just not happy to provide information that really is not necessary.

Could you provide an alternate order system that does not need this unnecessary data?

Originally posted by drparker

Chris,

I have a stock 24G w/led lights. I want to upgrade the main lights and add a fuge light. I'd like to have different timers for mains, fuge and moon lights, plus I'd really like to have a least two power leads for the mains so I can phase them on/off.  

I've been looking at the 3.36 plus T5 but I'm not sure if I can get what I want in the way of control. I also believe I'll need to add fans behind the main lights and replace the stocks one right?

Can you hook me up with the right parts?  

Thanks,

Drew

Drew,

If you wanted independant control of all three bulbs I believe this would require the use of three balasts instead

of just two as a normal 3.36 system would use. If you run a 3.36 with two bulbs on one ballast and the third bulb on a second ballast you still get a decent amount of control from timers. Depending on the moonlights used (i.e. R2 moonlights) you can have independant controls via a timer. The same should be true with the fuge light. The rear fans are replaced in a fuge-modded hood. All parts you need can be supplied.

Nick

Originally posted by ccjung

Randy O

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I have turned off DOB/Gender.

Thanks

Chris

You have an order :D thanks

Archived