Innovative Marine Aquariums

Open Discussion with Chris (nanocustoms)

ccjung

Hi everyone,

For those of you who dont know about me personally, in addition to nanocustoms, I have a small software/consulting firm that develops enterprise applications for small to medium businesses.

In the past few months, my big client had run short on cash flow, so I took a hiatus.. It was then that my passion for reefing and modding came about.

I have begun working for my client again, and have brought some great people aboard to help me with my nanocustoms endeavors.

Being as such, my time will have to be split between my two ventures, so my ability to advise/surf this board has diminished, and my attention not able to answer your questions/comments in the different threads.

Because there isnt a sponsor forum here (wink wink), i have decided to make this thread so you can ask questions about my products, to shoot the breeze, or to write me hate messages (jmt!!!).

Here are some things to expect from nanocustoms in the coming months:

hood integrated TEC chiller (after making it saltwater compatible)

70 MH Retro/Complete System 12g DX (late July/Early august)

Dual 70 MH retro/complete 24g DX (late August/Early July pending 2005 arrival)

CCFL Moon Lighting

4.24 Series 12g DX

Integrated Electronic Controls

Reefkeeper hood integration

Protein Skimmer

Automatic Feeder

Preskimmer

Little Doodads (misc accessories)

We will be working/pushing

HO T5 Retros 11"

As always.. Thanks for your support.

Chris

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats the plan. First im going to ask UTR if he wants, if its possible for me to license his design.. He deserves a cut, as hes a nano-pioneer.

If he refuses, and or his design violates patents, i will be coming up with my own design. It should fit in chamber 2, with the pump in chamber 1. It should be fully concealed.

im also going to give Aqua-C a call and see if i can persuade them to release the nanomora, or at least make an official statemnt about it. JBJ is also planning a skimmer as well, but im not sure about the timeframe (they are pretty swamped with the success of the nanocube).

Thanks

Chris

theclearblue

I noticed that you said that you're going to be pushing the T5 HO lighting, how do you feel about their effectiveness given that they don't have parabolic reflectors? The numbers I've seen seem to indicate that they're pretty low bang for the buck without reflectors.

It would also be pretty cool if you could convince Sanjay to get some PAR numbers on your hoods. I know he's been strictly analyzing MHs at this point, but it would be interesting to see what the light spread looks like and where the peaks are with the current reflector setup and bulb placement. Although it would probably be a pretty uniform spread, it could be useful to see where the spikes are if someone wanted to ideally place SPS in the tank.

Sounds great. I willing to be that all of these mods and accessories are going to turn the nano world upside down! Can't wait until summer.

Clearblue:

Yeah, im getting a PAR meter very soon, and would ultimately like to get my systems under an optical spectrometer to get a full spectrum analysis. If i really wanted to, i could get a diffraction grating and do it old school, but that would just show emission bands and not relative intensity.

The T5 HO project will be done in conjunction with Commodity Axis.

In my setups i use very little reflector, its more about getting the most versatility in lighting intensity staging/ sunrise simulation, and the ability to squeeze that much intensity into such a small space.

In addition, since there are so many bulbs, there is more room for variation in spectrum, probably the most important aspect of the PC/T5 based mods.

Some casual observations:

70w MH = 5500 lux @ 1 Ft

25000 lux @ 2-3 inches

Max Lux: 50000 +

72w PC = 6400 lux @ 1 Ft

25000 lux @ 2.5-3.5 inches

Max Lux: 40000

The PC system performs better intensity wise, but without proper bulb selection and spectrum, the health of the corals are better under the MH (which was formulated for reefs, including all 3 photosynthetic peaks.)

The PC has more intensity, but the intensity of the single MH bulb is greater at the top. This is because the PC/T5s are spread out and they contribute to the total lux. At a certain height, the effect of the other T5 is negligible.

With flat reflectors in general, you lose at least 50% of the light, and each bulb contributes more diminishing effects.

In essence, the other side of the PC is used to maintain favorable in hood temps (ive found that the PCs output peaks at about 105-110F).

In an ideal world, every bulb would have a parabolic reflector.. Unfortunately, although its possible to get a 48w with a good reflector to perform better than a 72w system, you wouldnt have the same bulb selection options, since you would have only 2 bulbs instead of 3.

Sorry for ramblin...

Chris

Chris, its hard to decide when to buy another nanocube since you keep coming up with better and better designs.

maybe ill wait 2 more years. than the SUPER DUPER NANO CUBE will be released :) hehe

have you seen the one thread where the person, placed a digital therm. into the side of the hood? looks very very nice :)

nanocustoms.com

Embryoguy-

I'm trying to get shao-lin nano on my team. LOL. I am always in search of talent, so that my customers can get the very best products.

The good thing is that most of my mods are designed to be compatible with my complete systems, so upgrading them to the "super duper" wont be impossible.

Thanks.

Chris

Chris,

I am very interested in having the dual 70 MH retro installed in my 24gDX. Can you put me down for it and when it becomes available and contact me. Also, how does the install thing work. Can I bring my hood to you for install and/or do you take mine in exchange with a modified one ?

Thanks,

Pat

Chris,

I'm going to be a customer of yours for a long time with a 'coming soon' list like that! Glad to see this thread, I always watch for your posts to see what you've come up with. Especially the chiller.

Hope you post your updates here too, I'm subscribing to this thread.

Happy Customer,

Toni

Chiller Report:

Today was a HOT day in Southern California. Not summer HOT, but i had ambients during the day of 82-83.

The newly modified TEC is running at around 75-77 today with 2x24w 50/50s and a 2004 HOOD (notoriously warm). In addition to the main pump, i had a pump from the 6 g running.

This is very promising, as the modded cubes come out much cooler than this.

Chris.

esoteradactyl

man you got me fiending for one of those mh setups! i had to give up on the hobby a few years ago due to electric bill being out of control. A 60 gallon tank with 2x250 watt mh's kill your bill in orange county. im slowly creeping back in the hobby now. got me a nano 12g dx and am patiently awaiting your mh setup. i need my sps fix! funny how small a nano seems after having a 60 gal sps ony tank :)

i was talking to jeff (jeffs exotic fish) and he was saying they were opening a new store soon that just happens to be onle block from my house. BAD NEWS! i can see it now, acro a block away!

anyways enough rambling. i think its great what you are doing for the nano community. keep up the good work.

ps hurry up with those mh hoods :P

Chris,

Whats up dude, I also wanted to thank you for being the Nano pioneer that you are :-). Have you heard anything on the new version of the 24g coming out from JBJ? And I might be asking a stupid question but what the hell is the SUPER DUPER NANO CUBE? Thanks dude and keep it up!!!

chris, do you have an idea of the approx. cost for 12 dx MH hood? i know its early yet but just so i can ponder purchasing it.

hey Chris, looks like you're real busy! if you could email or IM me with a ballpark figure on the TEC chiller price that'd be great! Sounds promising :)

Thanks for all your hard work.

- Daniel

I spoke with JBJ and they THINK, THINK now... That the 24g (2005s) are coming tomorrow. They still have to unload and I will probably be paying them a Saturday visit if I get confirmation that they are here.

Lets keep our fingers crossed.

As I have stated before, I will be shutting down (not building any 12s or 6s) once they get in.

This isn't to goad anyone, but if you are on the fence about a 6 or a 12, you should probably order soon. I expect to be shut down for about a week to 2 weeks after they (24g 2005) get here.

Thanks

Chris

Embryo- Im targeting the MH to be around 450 or so.

Dhodges- I expect the TEC to run around 100-120.

Compulou- The "super duper" just means anything down the line... I always plan ahead, so if theres anything in the works, a cube purchased today will be "ready" for the next mod.

SurfonH20- Unfortunately I wont be modding the current (2004) hood due to its design limitations. I will be modding the dual 70 into the 24g (2005) model. What ive been suggesting to anyone who wants the 2005 is to purchase a complete system (tank and modded hood), then pop your old hood on the NEW tank and sell it as a 90% used cube. That way you can recover your investment.

Hope this helps

Chris

I swear I posted this last night, but I don't see it.

Anyway, I was thinking, your tests show PC higher output then the MH. I was looking at buying your 3.24 mod and the fuge light. Few questions:

1) where does the fuge light ballast mount?

2) If I order the adjustable VA with the 3.24, can it be used on the fans that come with the fuge kit?

3) Is all that's needed to mount the ballast in the existing ballast box, just to drill 2 holes for the cords to go through and mount it inside the box?

4) Do you offer a 4.24 setup?

5) Is there anyway to split the existing 2x24 on seperate powercords/switches? If yes, do you sell the cords and switches?

The link for your instructions doesn't work, or else I could've answered #3.

EPICTANKHERE

i will definately buy a 24g with dual mh's, a skimmer, a chiller, thats the most epic thing i've heard on this site!!!!!!! MY GOD MAN! IS IT POSSIBLE!!???

I have a first ed Nano DX, so the splash gaurd doesnt come all the way back. I was wondering how to remedy this so that I could add a fuge light. Can I just add a second ed splashgaurd on my hood? Thanks.

Archived