ReefCleaners.org

Open Discussion with Chris (nanocustoms)

ccjung

"You state in another post that the stock OG ballast is junk which i assume is the pony 126. this is what i need. should i beware of anything here?"

Sorry, thats not correct, the OG features a ballast of unknown origin.

Anything by Fulham is pretty good, its the same company that makes engines for PFO, and most of the other big names in lighting.

All the ballasts come with a 3 year warranty and each ballast gets tested by fulham for a full 3 hours before being shipped.

If you get 2 of them, you can phase or stagger the lights, so some parts of the day you have more intense lighting.

Chris

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ccjung

"You state in another post that the stock OG ballast is junk which i assume is the pony 126. this is what i need. should i beware of anything here?"

Anything by Fulham is pretty good, its the same company that makes engines for PFO, and most of the other big names in lighting.

All the ballasts come with a 3 year warranty and each ballast gets tested by fulham for a full 3 hours before being shipped.

If you get 2 of them, you can phase or stagger the lights, so some parts of the day you have more intense lighting.

Chris

To add a little to Chris' post - Often times a Pony 226 will be used in conjunction with a Pony 126. The 226 is capable of supporting 2 bulbs and the 126 can handle one bulb. You don't really want to be running just one bulb off the Pony 226 for reasons mentioned earlier. All of that being said, and as Chris mentioned as well, running a Pony 226 and 126 is a great option for controlling lights on two different circuits. For example, I run two 24w 50/50's on my Pony 226 and a 24w actinic (which is placed between the two 50/50's) off the Pony 126. For optimum use, the ballasts should each have their own connection to power (i.e. power cords). This also adds to versatility if a user would like to run timers on the different lights for dusk/dawn effects, etc.

Hope that helps clear things up more.

Nick

Don't forget, acrylic is a very hard plastic. It can easily dull your tools/equipment depending on the durability of the tool and also the thickness of the plastic. Just an FYI.

thanx, just ordered it. hopefully it will get to me by friday, going on vacation for a week, i picked second day air so should be there by friday. thanx for everything chris

Chris

excellent. thanks for replying. time to shop @ nanocustoms.

if running one bulb off a pony 226, any idea of life expectancy of the bulb? might i get 12 months service from it, as it should be replaced anyway due to some loss of the spectrum. is the 24 watt bulb currently overdriven by the 226 ballast a safty issue (overheating of the ballast)

replacing the stock 226 with a 126 will both the leads be used?

A Pony 226 has a total of 8 leads for bulbs (4 per endcap) and a Pony 126 only has 4 leads for one bulb/one endcap. So, yes, all leads would be used on the Pony 126 for one bulb.

Chris could probably give you a better idea regarding life expectancy of an overdriven bulb.

Nick

After the MH+Chiller Launch I plan to work on a skimmer that should plumb inline to the Chiller.

Id expect to see something early-mid summer. Other vendors may beat me to the punch, so keep your eyes peeled.

Chris

Sorry folks, I understand Chris is currently unable to post to this thread. He is busy smuggling our new 24G DX's out of port,one by one, and hand carrying them back to his place. :P

Rob

Nick, thanks for backing up my story! It's sometimes hard for people to understand how heavy those boxes get. You know, over fences... through thick brush...ect... It's hard work. And with the shape that Chris is in... well, we won't even go there. Let's just say he's trying his best!

Rob

you guys... lol. its not carrying the cubes thats been hard, its finding which container out of the sea of containers at the Port of Los Angeles thats been killing me..

Seriously tho.. They gotta be here soon. JBJ is completely out of 2004 24g's and the outlook looks good for the 05's getting in soon.

Chris

Chris,

You happen to know the spec of the stock fans in the 12g DX cube as to how much noise the put out?

I'm looking to order the stealth fans from your sight and was wondering on comparing them.

Tks,

The stealths are good and quiet but their form factor makes getting air OUT of the hood tough (the splashguard is about 1/4" away).

I recommend any 60x60x10 or 60x60x15 in order to get more heat out.

The stealths will work if your primary concern is noise (and you have a stock system).

If you have a stock system, you may need to crimp/splice your new fans to work with the current circuit board.

hope this helps

Chris

Thanks,

The stealths are good and quiet but their form factor makes getting air OUT of the hood tough (the splashguard is about 1/4" away).  

I recommend any 60x60x10 or 60x60x15 in order to get more heat out.

The stealths will work if your primary concern is noise (and you have a stock system).  

If you have a stock system, you may need to crimp/splice your new fans to work with the current circuit board.

hope this helps

Chris

hey guys, I just placed my order last friday for my 24g nanocube. ccj, are you telling me they are out of the 2004's and I actually might get a 2005 if they come in? I haven't received ANY corespondence from JBJ since placing the order. I'm going to try to call, or email them today.

just received email from JBJ (mark) about the 24g tank. he said he "expects them in on friday" but didn't say whether they were the updated version or not.

another update on my 24g quest. don't get your hopes up guys.

here is an email I just got from JBJ

Subject: RE: 24g nanocube order

This piece will not be available for @ least a month on the nanocubes as

those have not even begun to be imported. It provides not other

functionality besides making the unit a bit more "waterproof".

No other changes to the design or product are forthcoming @ this time

Thank you,

Marc

Chris,

I'm planning on upgrading the lighting on my 2005 DX12 in the next 1-2 months. I'd like to be able to keep virtually any coral, except very difficult SPS. I wanted to check with you and see if what I'm thinking is feasible.

Here's the plan:

- Adding 2 Actinic T5's

- Buying the Nanocustoms 3.24 mod with 10k light, upgrading to the Pony 226 ballast and buying a 2nd 24W 10k lamp.

This would result in the following lamp combination:

2 stock 24w 50/50's

2 actinic 10w T5's

2 24w 10k's

116 watts or 129 if you count the 13w fuge light :)

Questions:

1) Will I be able to fit all of these under the hood?

2) Will I be able to add a moonlight?

3) I would need to buy an endcap and clip for the 2nd 10k, correct?

4) What is your opinion of the bulb temperature combo I've chosen? Which would you go with and why?

Thanks Chris, I look forward to ordering the mod!

- Daniel

evolution8888

Chris

I know someone that works at Customs for the Port of Los Angeles...I'd be willing to trade info for Cubes...Hahahahahaha

Regan

Archived