Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Reefer Addict's Ganja oops Coral Farm

Reefer Addict

Reefer Addict

Here is a front shot of the finished tank (of course sans livestock). Found the tank edge molding in the garage earlier today. Decided to cut them to size and attach. Pretty fancy looking for a prop tank don't you think? To reiterate, my stand and canopy was from an old setup. Plus it matches all my furniture in my home office (either mahogany or dark cherry). Will try to score some live rock sometime this weekend and begin the curing process. I was hoping to snag some from a local who is breaking down an existing tank...No luck..

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looking sharp :)

who cares about the prop tank, turn that baby into a show-tank! just imagine the aquascaping you can make with that thing, valleys, canyons, arches everywhere!

Reefer Addict

Daniel-Funny that you bring that up. I am thinking of making it a 'hybrid' tank. A prop tank aquascaped to look like a display tank..:P

Originally posted by Reefer Addict

A prop tank aquascaped to look like a display tank..:P

So in other words, it is now going to be a display tank. haha. I think we saw that coming considering how nice everything is. =)

Reefer Addict

"a midget tank..." lol. there is a first time for everything...

the stand, hood and molding was actually made by Oceanic. i don't think they make and sell this particular style anymore...i really like the style due to it matching some of my furniture.

just placed an order with Premium Aquatics a few minutes ago for 70lbs of Marshall lr. should arrive on Thursday! i picked up about 20lbs of tonga lr from my lfs and just threw it into the fuge..

The journey continues.........

Reefer Addict

Let the 'curing' begin. My lr arrived today... Pics are a bit blurry due to debris still floating in the water. Also, there is a blue tinge due to bulbs still needing to burn in. I hope you get the gist...

Left side

thumb_LFTnr.jpg

Right side

thumb_RGTnr.jpg

Center

thumb_Centernr.jpg

Side angle from left side to get a better sense of depth..

thumb_SideAnglenr.jpg

FTS

thumb_FTSnr.jpg

Reefer Addict

Hmmm... Pics are a bit small for some reason. Let me upload them directly..

Left side..

oh man im in love with that rockwork....thats just awesome. so much for the frag tank. turn the 30 into the frag tank now ha ha. cant wait to see it fill up. if i had a tank that size thats exactly how i want it to be scaped. hmm guess i gotta buy a house first...im on the lookout

Reefer Addict

Thanks SLO. Though, I still consider this my frag tank. Like I said in an earlier post, it is my version of a 'hybrid' tank. A frag tank that is aquascaped like a display tank.:)

winniebagel

Nice job, RA! I guess ya beat me in the tank startup stage. :)

Awesome shots of the tank to show how much real estate you can work with there. From the frontal FTS, you wouldn't have known that there was just so much space on the sandbed. Can't wait to see the ongoing progress to it.

Reefer Addict

Winnie-I only beat you due to your plumbing accident.:( I have been checking your thread for updates concerning your new tank. Personally, I would have put money down that your project would have been completed way before mine. Good thing we did not bet! :P

Your right concerning your FTS observation of not being able to tell how much real estate was still available to work with. That is why I added the side angle pic. The FTS does not give any perspective of depth..

Wow that aquascape is sick! The angle from side left panel pic looks just like the base of a reef,and it gives the impression that the rock never seems to end.... Two thumbs up!

Btw, wow did you like the live rock From PA? How is the coralline coverage on the rocks?

Reefer Addict

DM-PA rocks (no pun intended)! I have ordered lr from them before. The pics that I took did not pick up the coralline on the rocks.:( Trust me....it's there!!!! Also, the rock is pretty darn cured. Absolutely no smell of 'death' (even after being shipped 2 day air) if you know what I mean. I'll test the water sometime tomorrow after things settle down a bit more. One other thing. I was able to use what PA calls nano sized cured premium Marshall due to the height of the tank. That Saved me $2 per pound (70lbs * $2 = $140 savings)!!!!

that is some *****in' aquascaping. that is probably one of the best aquascaped tanks that i hae seen before and its a freakin' frag tank...hahaha. Great job getting this up and running. Is all the rock nano-rock? Good Job RA.

-mark

Reefer Addict

Yep, all nano rock. Though a good number of pieces are decent in size even though PA classifies it as 'Nano live rock'..

Reefer Addict

Thanks BH.....Next project is to install the osmolator... I am getting major evaporation issues with everything being open (top of tank, sump, etc..). At least heat has not been an issue. Even in the summertime, my home office stays in the mid 70's without the help of an air conditioner. I've topped off at 81 degrees when the MH's are fired up..

awsome aquascaping, must have taken you forever to get it just right, lol. To bad that the life reef didnt work out for you though.

Are you going to put any egg crating in to make different levels or are you just going to leave it the way it is?

Reefer Addict

The aquascaping only took me 15 minutes tops. Don't think there is much money in being a professional aquascaper though...

Concerning the different layers. It is hard to tell by the pics but the rocks are multilayered already. So is the sand to a certain degree. The added bonus is the rock formations are fairly wide throughout the aquascape which makes it easier to position the frags and not have them fall or be knocked over. It's kind of like an optical illusion. You would not notice it unless I pointed it out. Hopefully I am making some sense here...

Archived