Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Reefer Addict's Ganja oops Coral Farm

Reefer Addict

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmmm dont know was it me? i recognize the stand and canopy....and we thought we may have been gettin the chiller but didnt know for sure. anyway if it was me sorry you regret giving it to us, if it makes you feel any better i didnt get much for the sale of your goods

Reefer Addict

Just got word earlier today that my "Tigahboy Signature Limited Edition Sump and Refrugium" will not be ready until at the earliest the last day of the month.:(

Socalcreations still rocks!!!!! Can't blame them for material shortages.....

Originally posted by yoshiod9

not too many huge tanks are gonna bode well with the suspension and whatnot of my car.  

Don't mean to threadjack, but I'm up in Davis at least every 2 weeks, [till summer], getting drun... i mean studying with friends? Anyway, if you ever need something moved, we can use my truck that got rear ended :D Given that we can lift it into the bed [tailgate wont come down]. Sac's only 15-20 min away :)

Tam

Reefer Addict

First pic from the socalcreations website.

The acrylic to be used for my "Tigahboy Signature Limited Edition Sump and Refugium"!

Reefer Addict

Decided on a return pump. Just placed an order for a Dolphin Amp Master 2100. Newest issue. The 2100 has 1.5" in and out ports. My manifold is 1" pvc. So, do I build a new 1.5" pipe manifold or do I just use a reducer when I plumb the 1" pipe manifold to the pump? Any input would be appreciated..

Reefer Addict

From the Socalcreations website. The fabrication of my "Tigahboy Signature Limited Edition Sump and Refugium" has started..

• 2 weeks later...
Reefer Addict

Plumbing is pretty much done. I'll take some pics and post later tonight. Camera battery needs to be recharged..

man, it's been awhile since I last checked this thread. good to see the sump all finished! nice and sparkly. haha.

you're almost there, man!

Reefer Addict

Camera had enough juice for 7 pics. Will water test tomorrow..

Built a new 1.5" pvc manifold to accomodate the 1.5" Dolphin out take.I felt that the 40% flow loss was not acceptable if I used the original 1" manifold that I built.

ref1.jpg

ref2.jpg

ref3.jpg

ref4.jpg

ref5.jpg

ref6.jpg

Euroreef RS6-1 fits perfectly...

ref7.jpg

Reefer Addict

Thanks yoshi.I realized that I have no money left for gas to drive over to Tigah's apt to bogart the back of his tank in order to stock this thing...

Reefer Addict

i threw out that puff ball applicator and used a fine painters brush to apply the glue....lol-j/k. just used the masking tape method before applying the glue..

Reefer Addict

I finally had the time to do a water test yesterday. Some good news and some bad news...

First, there was a slight leak in the sump bulkhead. Replaced with a heavy duty bulkhead (gasket on the inside and outside of the sump) and raised the pump a tad with a pad. Leak gone. Other than that, no other leaks anywhere!

Moved the pump return overflow from the skimmer compartment to the return area. It was way to turbulent when discharging to the skimmer compartment. Just right in the return section.

Now the bad news. I don't seem to be getting the needed draining from my 1.5" drain! The 'math' states that I should be dropping approx 1250 gph. I don't think it is even close. Because of this, I can't get decent return flow without overflowing my tank!!!! And here I thought my biggest problem was going to be NOT having enough return flow..

So what are my options. Rebuild a new manifold (I am getting tired of breathing in pvc glue!) and just use the two outer bulkheads for returns. Use the remaining two 1" bulkheads as drains to sumpliment the 1.5 bottom drain.

Or get a Lifereef overflow box and just run the siphon out of the original overflow box in the tank, again to supliment the 1.5" drain). This way I can still use all four returns.

Not sure what I am going to do-Leaning towards the lifereef solution......Either way, below is a pic (sans fuge light) of my Tigahboy Signature Limited Edition Sump and Refurium in action!

Joe,

if it were me, i would supplement the existing bulkhead by plumbing those extra 1'' bulk-heads as "overflows" to the sump. re-building the manifold may be more trouble than it's worth (unless you're up for the task).

if you simply re-plumb a few more drains from the tank -> sump, you can increase the amount of water significantly enough so that your tank can handle the extra movement.

if all else fails... i'd just recommend you to downsize the pump, and have a pump rated at ~1000GPH or something (largest that your overflow can accomodate), if you don't mind having powerheads, just toss in 2 seio 820's on either side of the prop tank and you'll have all the flow you need.

that's my 2 cents :)

Reefer Addict

Daniel-I am just getting tired of sniffing pvc glue...:) Kind of a toss up. It would probably take me 1-2 days to do the job (empty out all the water, build a new manifold and change/convert out the two bulkeads). One of my goal was to not have any power heads.

The Lifereef solution would take 15 minutes tops-plus i could keep my 4 returns and not have to add ph's to the tank...

So..should I be ambitious or lazy......?

honestly, it's up to you...

if it were up to me, i wouldn't mind putting in 2 seio's. they don't look as "ugly" and "intrusive" as normal power-heads, and since the tank is so large (and painted BLACK), it'll be very inconspicuous.

i've heard of those life-reef's being a pain in the @$$ due to the fact that it "MAY" on occasion lose it's siphon. i don't have first-hand experience with the life-reef's so i can't tell you for sure, but it's going to be a pain to restart it time to time in the case of that happening, if you're going to have an overflow box like that in your tank, you might as well go the power-head route... that's just my opinion.

Reefer Addict

I'll keep you updated.Been doing alot of research concerning the Lifereef.So far, the feedback that I have read has been good.Everyone states to stay away from the CPR's and to either go with a Lifereef Box or an Amiracle Box.

i've been using an amircle overflow on my 40g for 3 months now it works great. As long as you keep the siphon tube reletively free of crap (ie. algea, detritus. etc.) and clean it every so often you shouldnt have a problem.

And it only takes about 5 min and a piece of airline tubing to set up:)

Archived