Cultivated Reef

Tigahboy's Reef 2005 (Part II)

Tigahboy

I received my first acan lord frag in a quasi-dead state. I received it like this on 12-9-04:

gimpacan.jpg

Here's the same acan on 1-14-05 (starting to make a recovery):

0114d.jpg

As of today 2-5-05:

0205d.jpg

It is definitely growing and feeding. But it still looks like a brown acan lord frag to me. =/ hopefully it will color up within the next month or so.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The growth you get out of your corals is sick, dude. That orange crush is looking great. Remember when you asked me if I saw pods from the bag of chaeto? ;) This past week, I've noticed tons of them all over the main tank. So rest assured that your chaeto bags are packed full of pods. ;)

Well mine rarely leave my glass. ;) But I think they do grow in chaeto because it acts as a shelter for them. idk, though. I have tons of LR rubble in my fuge, so I'm betting there's a ton in there.

Yeah, I don't have any LR in my fuge..I don't even have sand lol. All I have is dead cheato and on tope is growing live cheato. I guess there's pods in there but I'm not sure.

Originally posted by Kogut

Remember when you asked me if I saw pods from the bag of chaeto? ;) This past week, I've noticed tons of them all over the main tank. So rest assured that your chaeto bags are packed full of pods. ;)

Good. =)

it's not really that funny though, kinda messed up...

he buys corals for personal pleasure, not to show off. who'd want a tank full of crappy brown corals? you buy stuff to compliment the other stuff in the tank, you mix and match colors, in order to do that you're going to have to dish out good $$$ for quality stuff. it just so happens that he gets the corals that are popular/rare because he LIKES THEM... look at how many ppl rushed out to get pink or bright orange yumas after Tigah first shared his pink yuma with us. if i had a tank like Tigah's, and someone posted that link in my thread, i'd be ####ed.

Actually I really don't think it is a dig on tigah at all. I am sure we all know that gouging of prices is a very common thing among coral venders. Hell go to ebay and look around there you can't swing a dead cat by the tail without coming across someone selling brown zoos with a hyped up name for a fortune.

Tigah knows this pretty well as he buys quite a bit of "rare" corals. the link was more than likely left for him to read and enjoy the good points made by the author. You guys here tend to read between the lines too much and try to see something there when it is usually blank space.

Tigah I hope you saw the article as just an article, and not blow it out of proportion as others have

Angel Higuera
Originally posted by uchiha

it's not really that funny though, kinda messed up...

he buys corals for personal pleasure, not to show off.  who'd want a tank full of crappy brown corals?  you buy stuff to compliment the other stuff in the tank, you mix and match colors, in order to do that you're going to have to dish out good $$$ for quality stuff.  it just so happens that he gets the corals that are popular/rare because he LIKES THEM... look at how many ppl rushed out to get pink or bright orange yumas after Tigah first shared his pink yuma with us.  if i had a tank like Tigah's, and someone posted that link in my thread, i'd be ####ed.

It's not messed up or somthing to be ####ed off about. the writer of the article has some fair points.

As far as Tigah, I believe people should do what makes them happy. If he has the"means" to maintain and aquire corals, etc. and it makes him happy and a better person then he should do it. It seem he takes alot of passion for this hobby and thats commendable IMO. He also take his pesonal time to share his experiance(s) with us along with helping us.

Maybe some of this sites members might feel that article aplied perfectly to him. Marybe some are kinda jeolous of his work. Look at how often he is on here. Look at the money being spent. Then again, I dont think "I" would dedicate as much as he has to a reef. And I deffinitly can afford to if I wanted. It's all relative to the individual. Tigah seems to have the most interest when it comes to this and he obviously can and HAS the desire to pay for it money and time wise which makes him stand out on this site.

-Angel

Travis/uchiha:

Where does d2rino ever say anything bad about tigah? why should he be ####ed? I found the this article placed in the right thread for a few good reasons

1) Its a popular thread that features a tank with many rare corals mentioned in the article.

2) Tigah can tell first hand of the price gouging as he has more than likely wittnessed it first hand while aquireing his "rare" corals.

If I were tigah I would find it hard to get around to pick up new corals with all the groupies on my lap all day. Tigah I don't know how you do it. lol

Angel Higuera
Originally posted by NaNO ReeFiN

Kind of seems like it, doesn't it?

Thats why I said that. I kinda felt like it did in a way.

Originally posted by ebin

Travis/uchiha:

Where does d2rino ever say anything bad about tigah? why should he be ####ed? I found the this article placed in the right thread for a few good reasons

1) Its a popular thread that features a tank with many rare corals mentioned in the article.

2) Tigah can tell first hand of the price gouging as he has more than likely wittnessed it first hand while aquireing his "rare" corals.

If I were tigah I would find it hard to get around to pick up new corals with all the groupies on my lap all day. Tigah I don't know how you do it. lol

True.

Basically I just posted it to inform all of you about the acan lord price gouging.

I'm lucky enough to be able to aquire acan lord colonies for basically dirt, and can get colonies for freevery cheaply, whereas others are paying an unfair, exhorbitant price. This thread shows a lot of expensive corals that the buyer is basically getting ripped off on. This article examplifies this unsound practice. I guarantee you that the retailer of those colonies it purchasing them for less than $50, and in 3 months those acan lord prices are going to drop to the price that blastos are selling for now.

Oh to all the above posters slamming d2rino because you ASSUMED he was flaming tigah....... How embarrasing..... for YOU!

But I am sure you all pm'd him with an apology right?

By the way...Here is a perfect example of price gouging how bout these:

http://www.roesmarineworld.com/newacan.htm

Or this ebay acan not the prettyiest color but the reserve is $2940

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...bayphotohosting

Oh and if I happen to see the $3000 acan in your tank tigah I will slap you. wait a month or so they will be at blasto prices soon!

Angel Higuera

Im tired of being ripped off!!! My tax dollors helped them when that wave took'em out. Now I want some corals cheap!, cheap!, cheap! in return damnit.

One of the main points made in the article is that the people collecting the corals (the one's who were devestated by the tsunami) aren't the one's ripping you off - they get paid the same amount for a hot pink ric yuma as for a brown zoa :( It's the retailers here who are jacking up the prices.

Heck - if the retailers were passing the money back on down the line to the collectors, maybe I would be willing to pay $100/polyp!

Archived