ReefCleaners.org

Tigahboy's Reef 2005 (Part II)

Tigahboy

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea his rainbow acan is gold, but his new colony of lords are just as awesome.

tigah's a baller, he don't need to rob banks or eat ramen!

See my auto top-off set-up on p2: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...3002#post423002

So now that my tank will be automatically topped off for any water lost due to evaporation, I wanted to automatically replenish my water reservoir, which holds RO/DI water for top-off, by adding another float switch to the reservoir itself and connecting that directly to my RO/Di filter unit supplied w/ freshwater directly from cold water source in my kitchen sink plumbing.

Here's the float switch that I bought for my RO/DI filter from filterdirect on ebay. Whole thing cost me around $120; not bad at all.

Here's a pic of the simple float switch...

67gfloat2.jpg

I bought a bigger water reservoir from Target for $8. I liked it b/c it was tall and narrow, so my maxijet would be covered w/ water even when the water reservoir was nearing empty.

atoro1.jpg

I then drilled a hole to accomodate the float switch at around the desired water level for water reservoir.

atoro2.jpg

Here's the float switch installed.

atoro3.jpg

Then added teflon tape and connected the 1/4" tubing to the exterior part of the float switch.

atoro4.jpg

Here's a pic of the water reservoir all set-up w/ maxijet and w/ the RO/DI float switch in the "on" position.

atoro5.jpg

Once it fills up the water reservoir, the bulbous part of the float switch floats up and now the RO/DI filter is in the "off" position.

atoro6.jpg

The complete set-up w/ a stylish lid (cut a square piece out to accomodate the tubing/electrical cord) and it even has a convenient storage compartment at the very top for misc. aquarium stuff.

atoro7.jpg

Now I just have to finish installing my RO/DI to my cold water source and it will be fully operational! Once it is fully set-up, my top-off will be completely automatic...water to replenish the aquarium when water evaporates, and water to replenish the water reservoir when the water runs low. completely hands off. =)

At the level I have my water in the water reservoir, I have about 8 gallons of top-off water stored in there.

Well I'll be damned! That's impressive. Very nice work.

I have a question for you, too: What plans do you have in place to prevent syphoning in your new tank if the power should happen to fail? Going with the always-iffy maintenance-requiring check-valve? Or something else Tigah-riffic altogether?

thanks!

~B

please please please post pics of how you set up your RO/DI system once you're done. Ive had one since last july and i've yet to set it up!

Sweet set-up tigah. I just ordered my float switch. should come soon. Once i get it set up i wont have to worry about my glass tops breaking on me and slicing my finger :D. Those lords are absolutly stunning. One of the nices't coral i've seen in all the time i've been in this hobby. Keep up the good work!

TheCheat - for my 67g you mean? There will be only 2 holes devoted for the return pump from the sump. They are at the very top of the tank so when siphoning occurs, it will only take out the top 1" of water. I plan to have enough room in the sump tank (lower water level) to accomodate however many gallons that will back siphon. My current set-up also does this so I dont need to use any check valves.

The other 6 holes are devoted to the closed loop. So no siphoning will occur since only place the water could possibly travel is back directly into the same tank (the main display).

Vic- will do.

Thanks everyone else for the comments!

YAY!! people actually get it. sometimes i'm afraid folks are just gonna think i've advertised myself as a big jerk.

i don't know what it is, but it must be fhwbwghds :)

oh, and sorry for the little hijack action.

reeferbarra20

hey tigah , I'm trying to post pics in my thread , but the server keeps telling me that my images exceed 104,000bytes

how do i fix this problem? Could you please help me? I have a sony Cybershot 5.1mgpxl w/Carl Zeiss lense . Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated . Thanks, reeferbarra20

Either you should shrink it down using some kind of image editing software so you can attach.

Or you will need to upload onto a photo image hosting website and then copy and paste the URL into your thread by pressing the "img" button (above the text field when you post reply).

Or if you have gmail, you may email it to my gmail account and I can make em smaller for you. (pm me for gangsta mail address).

and if you have already uploaded into your gallery...just follow this tutorial: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=45167

Archived