ReefCleaners.org

Tigahboy's Reef 2005

Tigahboy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, now I gotta look for a 100% reef safe fish that isn't territorial and has brilliant color to replace him. It's probably gonna be the 4 line or the 6 line unless I spot something nicer.

LMAO. You need money for food, don't you? ;) Nice new additions, though. My pygmy is quite friendly. He and the clowns hang out together. He even visits Momma Clown in the anemone from time to time. ;) You saw how cool mine was. He really didn't care about anything. Haha. :P *Knock on wood*

Originally posted by DarkXerox

Man I love those yumas!  I never knew they got so big!

Tigah are you using a calcium reactor or fuge?

Yeah, yumas can get really big. I think that also factors into their hefty price.

I have a fuge. But fuges and calcium reactors serve different purposes, so I recently placed an order for a calcium reactor and in the process of securing the CO2 regulator and CO2 tank for it. Once I get my calc reactor going, I should see much better growth in my SPS. It just costs an arm and a leg...I hope it's worth it. haha.

But right now I've been dosing w/ seachem brand Reef Plus, Complete, and Carbonate. My Calcium stays at 430ppm, but I've been having a little difficulty getting my alkalinity up; even w/ the double dosing of seachem reef carbonate.

Tigah have you tried the Kents Liquid reactor? its supposed to be a suppliment to mock the properties of a calcium reactor. I started using it about three weeks ago and I am seeing some nice results. plus its way cheaper than the route you went.

Originally posted by bowfront26

I need a clam tigah!!!! and maybe a nice coco worm, although they are a bit rich for my blood...  EXCELLENT TANK!

Thanks dude. You can get a nice crocea for like $35-45. So not that bad. Once you start getting CRAZY colors tho, it gets a little more expensive...like the teardrop maxima.

But I think clams are very affordable overall...cheaper than a lot of corals at least, and even coco worm. hehe.

Originally posted by ebin

Tigah have you tried the Kents Liquid reactor? its supposed to be a suppliment to mock the properties of a calcium reactor. I started using it about three weeks ago and I am seeing some nice results. plus its way cheaper than the route you went.

Thanks for the idea. I would give it a try if I wasn't planning for my calcium reactor, but once I get that baby hooked up, I won't need to add anymore supplements for calc and alk.

Road Trip to Jeff's. Got my crocea there for like $40... Smaller is always cheaper, so just grow it yourself. A nice blue teardrop is my dream clam, though. My clam is perfectly happy in the sand. Is the 6-line taking over the tank now that the demon angel is gone? ;)

Hey Tigahboy you think I can add a Clam into my tank with the level of Calcium that I had last time? I know they need really good water quality and I dont want to risk one, you know.

Originally posted by Tigahboy

(I took out my cleaner shrimp last week or so).

Hey Tigah, Why did you take the cleaner out? Was he picking at things?

Bob

I didn't dose calcium at all before I got my clam because I had nothing to dose calcium for. ;) I never think of my water as being perfect... But I do keep acros and a clam... : Guess that chaeto and 10# of LS in the CPR must be doing something right... I guess the test will be how I fare w/out a skimmer...

Originally posted by ebin

Thanks for the idea. I would give it a try if I wasn't planning for my calcium reactor, but once I get that baby hooked up, I won't need to add anymore supplements for calc and alk.

Originally posted by Tigahboy

Thanks dude.  You can get a nice crocea for like $35-45.  So not that bad.  Once you start getting CRAZY colors tho, it gets a little more expensive...like the teardrop maxima.

But I think clams are very affordable overall...cheaper than a lot of corals at least, and even coco worm.  hehe.

Tigah! did u say 35-45? dang. Mine cost me 65$. I guess i should expect it being my location and all.

Originally posted by bowfront26

did you up the dose of calcium after adding you clams?

Yes. I upped it just by a little. I check my calcium all the time so I adjust accordingly. Can't wait to get the calc reactor - so much more precise and I won't need to test as much.

Originally posted by Cesar

Hey Tigahboy you think I can add a Clam into my tank with the level of Calcium that I had last time? I know they need really good water quality and I dont want to risk one, you know.

I really suggest you get your nitrates down. I know clams can help reduce nitrates too (so I hear), but just to be safe, lower it first. And make sure your salinity is stable...clams will react very quickly to fluctuations in salinity.

And finally, be sure to buy calcium and carbonate hardness (alkalinty) test kits so you know that your calciums are remaining at least at 400ppm after the addition of your clam and your sps.

Originally posted by bobioden

Hey Tigah, Why did you take the cleaner out? Was he picking at things?

Bob

Yeah, I don't have a prop tank, which is beneficial since it keeps freshly cut frags from being harassed by fish or inevitably inverts like shrimp. So I had to take the shrimp out for the time being since I just recently fragged a bunch of echinata. Just being safe.

I fragged some blastos before and inevitably there will be some minor die off along the edge of the cut, and the cleaner was having a little snack on the quasi-dead tissue. Really stressful for the LPS.

Archived