ReefCleaners.org

Tigahboy's Reef 2005

Tigahboy

Elegance was sold awhile ago.

btw, I no longer have the smaller of the two pink yumas. =/ It was hard parting w/ it, but I sold it to a good home, so that makes it a little better....well...not really. i miss the yuma already! haha.

j.k. stay tuned cuz a fellow nano-reefer will be showing pics of a few corals I sold to him. Shipped out like 30 minutes ago so he should get it by tomorrow. ;)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Shorty5198

Tigah! did u say 35-45? dang. Mine cost me 65$. I guess i should expect it being my location and all.

Yeah...coral/clam costs are so dependent on where you live. us L.A. folks are really lucky. I bought that teardrop maxima for $85, but I've seen it on other non-California websites for at least $150.

Tigahboy, got a Q?

What are u doing to make your clams thrive? What are u feeding them? I'm gunna start to culture my own phyto and maybe get some marine snow. Are u doing anything out of the ordinary (besides basic clam care) for them?

Thanks

I'm definitely not a clam expert and I lost one of my croceas even. The new crocea looks much better tho and happy, so maybe my old crocea was just from a bad stock.

But yeah, too soon for me to know exactly what clam-keeping methods work best.

But I do know that smaller clams (like under 2") require phyto feeding. I like a combo of half DT's and half marine snow. But I try to avoid smaller clams since bigger ones rely more on light and dont require phyto as much (which caused really bad algae blooms in my tank before).

aka...I don't do anything special. hehe.

Must have a shot from above of your clam! That's the only way to see a clam, IMHO. Tiny ones like that, nip, are sooo reliant on supplementary feedings like Tigah mentioned. That's the only downside.

Sure...like Tigahboy's Reef 2005 (part II)? haha. But I agree that the length makes it hard to get anything useful out of it anymore.

but then again, I was planning to start a new one when I had my new tank all set-up. I dunno. what u think, bladze?

Hey Tigahboy- you have to feed clams. Even bigger clams benefit from feeding. Photosynthesis only provides for short term metabolic needs. Building blocks such as proteins for growth and damage repair have to come from feeding. Also, pumping water continuously as clams do is metabolically expensive. Live phyto is good but also check out a food called Knop Korralvit F. Also check out clamsdirect.com. They have a message board and a lot of good info. IMO most clams that die in captivity starve to death.

Yeah, I do feed them still. just not every other day like I used to feed the smaller clams. I haven't tried Knop Korralvit F tho. I'll check it out. thanks.

This thread is the '05 thread, and it's not even the end of Jan... :| Amazing how you rack up the posts. ;) IMHO, people all need to go into their user cp and switch it to 40 posts per page. ;) Shows your thread as 26 pages to me. ;) What are you feeding the clams (and corals for that matter), anyways? I think you need something like what you did for your dosing a long time ago, but showing what and how you feed.

Man this thread reads like a novel if you don't keep up with it every day you can get lost real quick. As always tigah looks good.

I shot you a pm not too sure if you got it.

Do you have any complaints about the DT's I used it for a long time and it had the drawback of making my glass cake with algea. But the tank mates seemed to like it. I try to stick to the kents plankton products now as they don't have the shelf life and all.

What do you think of marine snow? I got a bottle of it but heard it was pure crap. I'm currently dosing DT's & Liquid Life BioPlankton.

Just to chime in and make your thread longer, I use DT's and Kent's Micro Vert. I try to mix them together in a seperate cup and sometimes throw some tiny mysis in w/ it. Then feed it to whoever is open at the time and dump the rest in a little bit at a time. Only in high flow areas, of course. ;)

DT's is very concentrated - it's easy to overdo it. I personally use Liquid life (their phyto product) and Knop Korralvit F. The clams definitely seemed to improve when I started using the Knop product, much more so than using phyto alone...

I've heard a lot of negatives about Marine Snow, but haven't used it myself.

you know, I have no idea how to tell if marine snow is "good" or "bad." Kinda hard when I'm also mixing it w/ the other stuff I mentioned in a cup before dosing.

But I've been using marine snow since I first set up this tank...so either it is working for me...or at the very worst, it just isn't doing anything at all. But if everyone thinks it really sucks, maybe I should just stop using it.

I hate DT's...for the very reasons you mentioned, ravenmore7. it is very easy to overdo it. I'm gonna have to check out your Liquid life stuff.

Man. my big pink yuma is lonely now. It's buddy was shipped to its new home in Colorado today.

I guess I'll have to hunt down another one now. =)

Originally posted by reeferbarra20

YO TIGAH !!! you think it's a bad idea to use a 24' CPR AQUAFUGE HOB as my Refugium instead of a 20 gal sump?

Haha...dont do that, dude. I was thinking about something similar tho...like maybe setting up a plain jane 20g long in the stand as a sump...and then hang one of those aquafuges on the sump (not the main display)....not sure how well this would work tho. I'm just having a freakin hard time finding a sump/fuge set-up that can accomodate my es5-3, have a decent sized fuge area, and still easily fits into the stand. blah! what a PITA.

Archived