Top Shelf Aquatics

Statics Reefer 170

Staticmoves

Staticmoves

So dosing reef roids more heavily has brought PO4 up to 0.03 so I will continue this method for NO4 as long as it continues to work, and I have some ESV nitrate on the way in the mail, as NO3 is still undetectable.

some of the Acro’s are still happy and hopefully elevating the nutrient availability will assist with them as well.

once I have this dialed in a little better and finish up on yearly mountain bike suspension rebuilds, I can start working on my photography a little.

• Like 1
Staticmoves

So I have been dosing B-ionic nitrate for about 4-5 days and nitrate is now registering around 3-4 ppm. And PO4 is now registering at .03 ppm, with dosing a pinch or reef roids in the power head just before every feed. Once the PO4 gets a little higher I’ll back off on the frequency of reef roids. Like wise with the B-ionic nitrate.

A couple overall shots today.

still dealing with the red stuff, but it seems to get slightly better with the rise in available nutrients.

still loving the roll filter.

i have backed down the UV on my lighting schedule to 75% from 110%.

I’ve lost the Red Dragon Acro. The cracker jack seems to regain some color with nutrient rise, and the acid rain, blueberry bonsai and red digitata still colored well and doing great. Twizzler Acro has not done a whole lot since some color loss in the beginning.

all LPS very happy.

IMG_7229.jpeg

IMG_7230.jpeg

• Like 2
Staticmoves
12 hours ago, Rhetoric said:

Heya, 

I have a question about the filter roller,  why haven't you pulled it?

What is it doing for your aquarium?

Catching all the water born filaments as I go through the stages of a newer tank. 
would much rather control the nutrients with minor dose at this point, as opposed to a build up of gunk. 
“ part of my recipe”

Rhetoric

I'm in sales for a living.  

Selling people a product that removes important "stuff" out of the water.  Then selling them back the same "stuff" they just removed is either pure genius or evil.

Sorry for jumping into your journal, only trying to help I promise.

• Haha 1
Staticmoves
37 minutes ago, Rhetoric said:

I'm in sales for a living.  

Selling people a product that removes important "stuff" out of the water.  Then selling them back the same "stuff" they just removed is either pure genius or evil.

Sorry for jumping into your journal, only trying to help I promise.

I like not dealing with filter socks.

and until there is enough coral in there to suck it all up…. Eventually the rock work will be saturated.

love the roll filter.

didn’t hear anyone complain about people spending on filter socks?

Staticmoves

Quick update.

testing water this evening.

Alk = 165 ppm

PO4 = 0.03 ppm

NO3 = 9-10 ppm

going to continue with daily reefroids for the PO4. ( big pinch daily broadcast).

as of today I cut NO3 dose in half from 2ml daily to 1ml daily to see if that maintains 9-10 ppm or slightly higher.

Backed off the All For Reef from 3.2ml per day to 3.0ml per day, as I don’t want alk creeping much higher than 9dkh.

with nutrients coming online, the cyano seems to slowly back off.

some of the Acro’s seem to be getting better coloration in there flesh. The flesh on my “Pac-Man Acro is getting a nice purpleish hue to it with bright green tips.

I pulled out a few old digital cams, but I don’t seem to get quality photos with them. ( one of my next tasks once Acros have decent encrusting happening. Is the photo skills, and something better than a cell phone)

the PAC-MAN, I previously thought was purple bonsai.

again apologies for the photo skills.

IMG_7231.thumb.jpeg.785e39473a2c0e29b97a5f88a8c53e04.jpeg

IMG_7232.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Staticmoves
On 5/8/2024 at 2:34 PM, KevMax said:

Enjoyed reading your journal. Your aquarium is coming along nicely. Looks great.  

Thank you.

Staticmoves

Have not done an update in a while, as it’s mountain biking and climbing season.

i figure it’s time.

here are a few top downs from this evening in amateur fashion.

IMG_7307.thumb.jpeg.62fabc71327b69ea67485370abb7612b.jpegIMG_7306.thumb.jpeg.6117a8fa185c982619e9678d957c85fc.jpeg
Four of the Acro frags RTN’ed on me, this was as I was dosing NO3 due to it being undetectable. After slow dosing for a bit, I stopped when NO3 started climbing quick up to about 25ppm. (RTN here).  Then I have been letting it drop on its own with regular water changes, and now has been sitting around 8-12ppm on its own without dosing.

I have continued dosing PO4, if I stop it will register 0.0. I’m dosing about 1ml every other day, which has kept PO4 around 0.03 ( detectable ).

the Digi was not happy for a while, but has been encrusting now for about 3 weeks.

still have the Cracker Jack Acro, it has pretty much been frozen in time.

just before RTN event, the coralline had bleached a bit and stopped growing (visually).  But in the last 2-3 weeks has really taken off again.

my guess would be the change in nutrients and tank still being young may have had something to do with it.

so I have not updated in a while, and have let the tank chill and rebalance.

NO3 looks like it may be finding its groove, and looks like I will continue with PO4 minor dosing for the time being.

I will try a few more Acro’s in the near future, as things are looking better.

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...
Staticmoves

Just posting a tank update and a few whole tank shots (with a phone).

tank has been chilling, rock work is about 50% covered in thick CCA now. 
it looks as though the rock seems to be seasoning up well, as I know myself and others have struggled with dry rock some times.

i still have not had to dose anymore NO3 as it is sitting around 8-10 ppm.  And PO4 I am dosing about 1/2ml per week and is in the .04-.06 range.

roller mat is still on its second roll, though almost finished.

i have moved my power heads to the back wall of the tank (as I had in my last build), flow patterns seem to be good from there for the time being.

Aside from glass cleaning, I really have not had to do much to the tank…🤞

here is hoping for some future success with the sticks…

IMG_7336.jpeg

IMG_7339.jpeg

IMG_7338.jpeg

IMG_7337.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Staticmoves

Well hopefully one day I can grow Acropora as well as I do coralline.

i swear it’s going to start platting out.

not a whole lot of exposed rock left.

mind you, this is the healthiest dry rock I’ve had.

knock on wood, no GHA and only about a week or 2 of Dino’s months back. Sand had stayed clean as well.

my NO3 is around 6-8 and PO4 around .05.

have not had to dose NO3 for some time now and stopped PO4 a few weeks back.  Would be nice if I can maintain this.

filtration still roller mat and skimmer (dryer skim).

tank is doing very well, but still young.

only needing to scrape glass once or twice a week, and it’s a much finer dust now.

IMG_7340.thumb.jpeg.21ffdbb570859a06c81cf20cb9f87aa6.jpeg

• Like 3
ml86743

I freaking love this tank!  Your blasto's in the back look so nice and fluffy.  SPS looks great too! 

That urchin in your latest pic is beautiful, I'm sure he's handy at cleaning some of the GHA.  I've got small patch that I need to get rid of..Maybe in the upgrade I'll look into an urchin!

The longnose hawks are so cool, I've had one in the past and they always bring so much personality to the tank.  

Staticmoves
11 hours ago, ml86743 said:

I freaking love this tank!  Your blasto's in the back look so nice and fluffy.  SPS looks great too! 

That urchin in your latest pic is beautiful, I'm sure he's handy at cleaning some of the GHA.  I've got small patch that I need to get rid of..Maybe in the upgrade I'll look into an urchin!

The longnose hawks are so cool, I've had one in the past and they always bring so much personality to the tank.  

Thanks.

Urchin may be hungry if he is looking for GHA, but there is plenty or coralline for him. he actually has never left the rock work, so I am assuming he is happy munching the purple.

Hawk fish is definitely cool. he hunts copepods all day and does not bug anybody else.

some Acro's are starting to puddle, and with the exception of a few, most PE is in the lights off time.

the superman digi is puddling all over the road and has quite a few nubs starting.

I still need to figure out a camera without going overboard, as I do from time to time.....

ml86743
3 minutes ago, Staticmoves said:

Thanks.

Urchin may be hungry if he is looking for GHA, but there is plenty or corralling for him. he actually has never left the rock work, so I am assuming he is happy munching the purple.

Hawk fish is definitely cool. he hunts copepods all day and does not bug anybody else.

some Acro's are starting to puddle, and with the exception of a few, most PE is in the lights off time.

the superman digi is puddling all over the road and has quite a few nubs starting.

I still need to figure out a camera without going overboard, as I do from time to time.....

You're looking to buy a camera?  What's your budget?

Staticmoves
10 hours ago, ml86743 said:

You're looking to buy a camera?  What's your budget?

have not really had the time to look into it, to devise a reasonable budget.

truth be told, it would be nice to get one of the kids into it, then just cash in on some nice photos, as I spend most of my spare time behind handlebars or hanging from my finger tips.

ml86743
Just now, Staticmoves said:

have not really had the time to look into it, to devise a reasonable budget.

truth be told, it would be nice to get one of the kids into it, then just cash in on some nice photos, as I spent most of my spare time behind handlebars or hanging from my finger tips.

Gotcha - My best advice would be to select a brand that you like and go from there.  I shoot sony and their entry-level mirrorless models are great, something like the a6100 you can find used for a great price.   I personally shoot on the A7III  full-frame.   Regardless, whatever brand you chose will work as you can invest in glass that will function on the same mount and overtime you can look into upgrading the body if choose and not have to replace lenses.  I would rather spend my money on quality lenses then a body to start.  

The new nikons and canons are also great.

You could always go the DSLR route, but I feel they are becoming less popular in favor of the mirrorless setups.  Realistically, any camera can take great photos with a solidified understanding of mechanics, composition, and a creative eye.  

Prior to starting my career, I co-owned an outdoor media company called Drfitline Media (Fishing, Hunting..adventure stuff)..and we shot primarily with budget setups.  I thought we put out a pretty good product 🙂

Hope this helps! 

• Thanks 1
Airedale.Reef

Read through the tank journal...it was a nice read, and really foreshadowed the next few weeks for me. : ) 

I am glad to see the hawkish is still around and has been a model citizen. The Wrasse is beautiful as well. Following along! 

Also -Coralline algae is fire! Well Done! 

• Thanks 1
Staticmoves

Evening Phone photo dump.

The buffet:

IMG_7367.thumb.jpeg.326713cd0b48f4248a777b9c87a1b535.jpeg

Birds nest & coralline:

IMG_7366.thumb.jpeg.c8c8dd7f1bc7bcc83df71967bc6c3ee7.jpeg
the blasto:

IMG_7365.thumb.jpeg.3a4a6f7da3e9abb890d18b84cbd496ef.jpeg

the micromusa:

IMG_7364.thumb.jpeg.b889c640434e22be59b1279f4ec1aa24.jpeg

Digitata and anacropora: