Jump to content
Innovative Marine Aquariums

Statics Reefer 170


Staticmoves

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, boscoT said:

That top piece is throwing me off 

I hear you. 
but after family deliberation, and once encrusted with some side branching SPS or Acro…….

hopefully achieve 50+ diff in PAR per level.

tried to balance “form” and “function”

I want to leave a good amount of sand bed for one or two crocea clams and maybe an elegance. Though the elegance may be an issue…..

Hmmmm….

Link to comment

A little salt build up in the Apex cooling fan.

just going to clean that up, and put a peace of filter cloth over it this time.

fan was noisy.

electronics don’t like salt, but in our quest for a tidy tank and mechanical area……🙄

image.jpg

Link to comment

I like the negative space created in the tank by that structure.....excess capacity, room for flow, swimming room/space for corals to grow into.  All good.  👍

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

I like the negative space created in the tank by that structure.....excess capacity, room for flow, swimming room/space for corals to grow into.  All good.  👍

I left a lot of space between rocks for new caves and homes.

Link to comment

1 week update.

pretty boring, which is good.

bubbles is doing his thing to help cycle the tank.

when bubbles went in the tank I added a 1L bottle of Fritzyme 9.

may start the skimmer today on low setting to break in, for oxygenation and see if it pulls anything from rock cure.

will run skimmer with the choke open.

may also add a hermit or two from my other tank, to eat any excess food.

have been feeding light but the odd pellet drops.

i grabbed some wafers for the crabs as well.

this forum is so much quieter than 2-3 years back……. Interesting.

 

image.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment

it still looks so clean.  Hopefully you can maintain that and your ugly stage isn't too bad.  Are you adding a lid?  I lost so many fish in my day without a lid, now a screen top is a must for me

 

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, boscoT said:

it still looks so clean.  Hopefully you can maintain that and your ugly stage isn't too bad.  Are you adding a lid?  I lost so many fish in my day without a lid, now a screen top is a must for me

 

Yes, I have the screen kit in the basement.  Ran it for two years with out, but I did loose my six line that way.

screen will be made up tomorrow or this week coming.

oh the ugliness will come at some point.

going to go FOWLR with no lights for the first 2-3 months as I slowly add fish, to try and really let a good biofilm to form on the rock and bio media before lights on.

hopefully lowering the chances of algageddon.

and no….. I won’t be able to maintain the current look……..😢……. I promise.

But bubbles does hope so. 

image.jpg

Link to comment
32 minutes ago, Staticmoves said:

Yes, I have the screen kit in the basement.  Ran it for two years with out, but I did loose my six line that way.

screen will be made up tomorrow or this week coming.

oh the ugliness will come at some point.

going to go FOWLR with no lights for the first 2-3 months as I slowly add fish, to try and really let a good biofilm to form on the rock and bio media before lights on.

hopefully lowering the chances of algageddon.

and no….. I won’t be able to maintain the current look……..😢……. I promise.

But bubbles does hope so. 

image.jpg

 

Wait..... You have a fish already? One week in?

Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Staticmoves said:

Hmmmm…. Interesting as a great very a many do.

No they really don’t anymore. It’s extremely rare and very frowned upon. It’s torture to fish. There are many other methods and 90% of people in saltwater use them.  I’ve kept reefs for 20 years and I’ve never once cycled with a live fish. Even in the times people did it regularly. 
 

I’m not bashing on you. I’m just telling you that times have changed and people rarely do it this way anymore. 

Link to comment
Just now, braaap said:

No they really don’t anymore. It’s extremely rare and very frowned upon. It’s torture to fish. There are many other methods and 90% of people in saltwater use them.  I’ve kept reefs for 20 years and I’ve never once cycled with a love fish. Even in the times people did it regularly. 
 

I’m not bashing on you. I’m just telling you that times have changed and people rarely do it this way anymore. 

Braaap, you may cycle your tank anyway you would like.

and so will I.

this exact fish has started and homed in 4 of our tanks.

he’s happy and healthy.

happy reefing Braaap.

Link to comment
24 minutes ago, Staticmoves said:

Braaap, you may cycle your tank anyway you would like.

and so will I.

this exact fish has started and homed in 4 of our tanks.

he’s happy and healthy.

happy reefing Braaap.

I understand that. But you said many people do it this way. Which is a fallacy. 15 years ago sure.  But not today. 
 

Either way. Goodluck in your reefing adventure. 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...