Top Shelf Aquatics

Statics Reefer 170

Staticmoves

On 1/18/2024 at 7:57 PM, Staticmoves said:

Son of a Bit$#!

I thought the first thing I would see was diatoms or hair algae, well looks like peppermint shrimp are in order.…….🙄

IMG_7055.jpeg

Careful observation like this keeps hitchhikers from being something to worry about.  🙂 

You're right that stuff like this is pretty inevitable.  Just be ready to handle it.  Literally like weeds in a garden.  🪴

• Like 1
Staticmoves
2 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Careful observation like this keeps hitchhikers from being something to worry about.  🙂 

You're right that stuff like this is pretty inevitable.  Just be ready to handle it.  Literally like weeds in a garden.  🪴

Covered it with some AP-X

• Like 1
Staticmoves

Diatoms lightly dusting the rock work this morning, and no sign of that AP$&@!: popping back up.🤞.

got my final fish in place today as well.

hopefully he stays healthy, it a McCoskers wrasse. He was checking out all the nooks for about 30 min. And has gone into hiding. Also added another bag of pods. The fish are picking at them , but not decimating them. There were still quite a few running about.

one of my fire fish have disappeared as well………..not even a fin or bone, so I am assuming got stuck in a cave……🙄

update….

wrasse came out for a good feeding of mysis, and has been out and about since.

• Like 1

Fire fish can be sooooooooo shy sometimes.  Fair to say they are slightly fragile as well.  Hopefully he shows back up just like the wrasse did!  👍  Any chance you think he could have gotten bullied?

• Like 1
Staticmoves
4 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Fire fish can be sooooooooo shy sometimes.  Fair to say they are slightly fragile as well.  Hopefully he shows back up just like the wrasse did!  👍  Any chance you think he could have gotten bullied?

the other fire fish does nip at them a bit.  but they still chill together in the surf. I'll keep an eye on my No3 to look for signs on decay, or see if my ORP dives suddenly, that will tell a story. 

• Like 1
Staticmoves

Quick update. 
the brown stuff is in, possibly diatoms and or cyano.

We will work through this phase.

the conch is like a shop vac in there, working the sand bed.

need to pick up some more snails, but LFS has not had many as of late, and the trochus snails in my holding tank are still to small to pull from that stock.

id like to move my blastomusa, micromusa, favia and rock flower, but I’ll give it a bit to see how this bloom goes first. I may grab a frag of red digi as a canary.

I also switched to red sea blue bucket salt a few weeks back from the coral pro.... ( why..... just a gut feeling....) Alk has been fairly stable in the 7.8 - 8 DKH range.

IMG_7062.jpeg

IMG_7061.jpeg

• Like 1
Staticmoves
On 1/21/2024 at 2:55 PM, Staticmoves said:

Diatoms lightly dusting the rock work this morning, and no sign of that AP$&@!: popping back up.🤞.

got my final fish in place today as well.

hopefully he stays healthy, it a McCoskers wrasse. He was checking out all the nooks for about 30 min. And has gone into hiding. Also added another bag of pods. The fish are picking at them , but not decimating them. There were still quite a few running about.

one of my fire fish have disappeared as well………..not even a fin or bone, so I am assuming got stuck in a cave……🙄

update….

wrasse came out for a good feeding of mysis, and has been out and about since.

came home last evening and the wrasse was not doing well, so I moved him to the holding tank in the basement, to see if he can recover with out being eaten by crabs and nassarius. how ever, should he happen to float into the rock flower............

Staticmoves

Quick update. 
the brown stuff is in, possibly diatoms and or cyano.

We will work through this phase.

the conch is like a shop vac in there, working the sand bed.

need to pick up some more snails, but LFS has not had many as of late, and the trochus snails in my holding tank are still to small to pull from that stock.

id like to move my blastomusa, micromusa, favia and rock flower, but I’ll give it a bit to see how this bloom goes first. I may grab a frag of red digi as a canary.

• Wow 1
Staticmoves

Looks like brown stuff has eaten some PO4, as it was previously 0.17 ppm.

tonight’s stats

PO4 = 0.09 ppm

No3 = 10.0 ppm

Alk = 7.8 dkh

PH = 8.1 - 8.2

Sal = 1.0255

will strive for slightly lower PO4 and No3, but this isn’t to bad.

did notice a green dusting on the back wall. Will hit LFS tomorrow for some snails. I have 3 large sundials, but they are slow, need some trochus.

10% WC this weekend should put alk at 8.1 and PO4 and No3 just below current threshold. 👌.

This will be the balance line I’ll attempt to walk with in reason.

Sal I’ll bump to 1.026.

I did end up losing the wrasse, so the rock flower had an expensive snack.

still no sign of my other fire fish as well.

if I find No3 and PO4 dip to low as we move along, I’ll add a feeding in the morning, but it would have to dip pretty low. Only feeding once a day as the setup is still very new.

what ever is blooming, is having its butt kicked on the sand bed by the conch.

he kicks ass.

changing filter socks every two days, as not to let nutrients get to much higher at this point with no corals.

will have a look at Mag this weekend to see if it’s on spec.

• Like 2
Staticmoves

Picked two small emerald crabs, 1 female and one male.

2 small turbo snails and 2 small Astraea snails. Already have 3 medium large sundial snails. ( no one has trochus snails near me yet. Must be seasonal )

and picked up a small Halloween hermit as well.

turkey basted diatoms or what not off the rocks this evening, let filter out then changed filter sock.

rinse repeat………🥱

• Like 2
Staticmoves

Week 9 update.

No3 = 10ppm

Po4 = 0.06 ppm

Alk = 144ppm 👌

PH = 8.06 - 8.21

Temp = 78f

ORP = 380 - 429

Sal = 1.0255

starting to see more small green patches on rock work.

Diatoms are still chillin, but with the green starting to show up and the Po4 heading south slowly, ( I do have a small bag of chemi pure to help with any silicates in the new rock, and the nutrients from the decay process of the diatoms. Which will also affect Po4 during this process.)

once we move past the diatoms, I’ll move some of my existing coral over to this tank.

i replaced the McCoskers wrasse with a Lubocks fairy wrasse. Very nice coloration, and he had been at the shop for two weeks, so better chances on survival.

grabbed some more pods for him as well.

IMG_7071.jpeg

image.jpg

Staticmoves
35 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Caption:  "I did NOT eat the Firefish!"

Hmmmm…. He always looks suspect…….🧐

just sits there staring at my shrimp….. just thinking……..one day……….one day…..,

Cheers…..

IMG_7072.jpeg

• Like 1
geekreef_05

Super nice looking restart!!! 

I like the hardware. What's the volume of that aquarium? 

BRS had some tests with great success using copepods to eat diatoms. Apparently they eat em right up. 

Staticmoves
1 hour ago, geekreef_05 said:

Super nice looking restart!!! 

I like the hardware. What's the volume of that aquarium? 

BRS had some tests with great success using copepods to eat diatoms. Apparently they eat em right up. 

Vol = 170L

i added the pods as part of a team, and I knew I would be putting a wrasse in, so I added them ahead to find hiding spots and feed the wrasse as it goes through a possible picky eating phase.

1 hour ago, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

SO jealous of you being able to get sundial snails!! Never seen anywhere with them here:(

I find they last a long time, but they are the slowest snails I’ve had. But I like diversity.

InAtTheDeepEnd
24 minutes ago, Staticmoves said:

Vol = 170L

i added the pods as part of a team, and I knew I would be putting a wrasse in, so I added them ahead to find hiding spots and feed the wrasse as it goes through a possible picky eating phase.

I find they last a long time, but they are the slowest snails I’ve had. But I like diversity.

wait even slower than astraea?😆

Staticmoves

The Shop Vac out in full force!

and dosed my last 10 oz of Fritz Zyme 9.

the conch stayed buried in the substrate until the diatoms showed up. He has been vacuuming non stop ever since.

if the conch had hands, it would be fist bumps and hi fives all around. 👊

IMG_7073.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Staticmoves

Diatoms seem to be backing off today.

lets see how the week goes. And maybe I can transfer some coral in by next weekend.

The blenny is picking at the rock work more and more, will monitor and start rolling back algae wafers.

IMG_7074.jpeg

• Like 1