Pod Your Reef

Justin's UNS 90L - 2 Year update!

Justind823

On 12/13/2023 at 1:18 PM, Orangutran said:

Hey good news with the dinos! This hobby would be so much better if it didn't exist...

LOVE the backlight! I have the same idea on my new tank--I used frosted glass spray paint! But no light yet... Which RGB strip are you using?

YES very good news and completely agree. It took some doing and I'm slowly bringing down my nutrients but glad to not have that snot everywhere!

I actually ended up changing the cling out for a sheet of plexi that I sanded down to get the look I was going for. It seems to distribute the light better than the cling did for my taste. I also like it better because I can remove the whole light box and the frost comes with it! 

Do you still have a tank going or are you having a comeback?

Everything got by during the dino attack. Some zoas are still recovering from the abuse but all in all it could have been worse! I moved a few things around but I'm done putting my hands in the tank for awhile 😀

IMG_0981

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
16 hours ago, Justind823 said:

Everything got by during the dino attack. Some zoas are still recovering from the abuse but all in all it could have been worse! I moved a few things around but I'm done putting my hands in the tank for awhile 😀

IMG_0981

Looking good!  Dino's are such a PITA...I'm finally getting over by cyano/dino bloom and it feels like.  I'd like to come home for once and just look at the tank and not tinker lol.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, ml86743 said:

Looking good!  Dino's are such a PITA...I'm finally getting over by cyano/dino bloom and it feels like.  I'd like to come home for once and just look at the tank and not tinker lol.

The worst. I need to keep my nutrients up! Depending on where they settle out after raising them up so much I'll probably set up a doser for some auto n and p. 

Headed out of town for a week to see the fam on the east coast for Christmas. Got the lids on and the camera setup. Ready to roll! Happy Holidays!

IMG_0983

IMG_0992

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
On 12/19/2023 at 3:55 PM, Justind823 said:

YES very good news and completely agree. It took some doing and I'm slowly bringing down my nutrients but glad to not have that snot everywhere!

I actually ended up changing the cling out for a sheet of plexi that I sanded down to get the look I was going for. It seems to distribute the light better than the cling did for my taste. I also like it better because I can remove the whole light box and the frost comes with it! 

Do you still have a tank going or are you having a comeback?

That's smart, to make it removeable in case you need a change!! But so far, I'm loving the white background---white is the new black!! 😉  It's only been a week for me though, so we'll see how it holds up against algae! Yeah, I'm making a comeback with my new build. Got the reefing bug back. 😛 

On 12/19/2023 at 5:11 PM, Justind823 said:

Thanks for the link!! Checked it out, and I think I need something more rigid because I don't have much space/access in the back of my tank to mess around with those strips. I will probably order one of those aquarium rgb rods that is water proof, but I will place it behind the tank of course... 

Hopefully your tank is on cruise control while you're away! fingerscrossed

Justind823
On 12/30/2023 at 5:35 PM, Orangutran said:

That's smart, to make it removeable in case you need a change!! But so far, I'm loving the white background---white is the new black!! 😉  It's only been a week for me though, so we'll see how it holds up against algae! Yeah, I'm making a comeback with my new build. Got the reefing bug back. 😛 

Thanks for the link!! Checked it out, and I think I need something more rigid because I don't have much space/access in the back of my tank to mess around with those strips. I will probably order one of those aquarium rgb rods that is water proof, but I will place it behind the tank of course... 

Hopefully your tank is on cruise control while you're away! fingerscrossed

Yep! It definitely makes it easier to clean back there. 

Glad to cya back in action! I'll go check out the build thread now 🤘

I'm back and the tank did great while I was away. I love my sump autofeeder/ fish food toilet bowl, so much cleaner having it down there.

Justind823

Thought this was cool. I was just doing a water change and the surface level had dropped just perfectly above the toadstool. Love the look of the polyps laying down all together.

IMG_1024

IMG_1029

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • 2 months later...
wide_eye_owl

Really inspiring tank! I’m curious how you put together your so called Frankenstein overflow? It’s hidden very well.

• 3 weeks later...
Justind823
On 3/16/2024 at 7:52 PM, wide_eye_owl said:

Really inspiring tank! I’m curious how you put together your so called Frankenstein overflow? It’s hidden very well.

Thanks! Essentially its a large bulkhead with with 4 pvc pipes epoxied within. Two for the overflow, one for the return and one dry pipe for wiring the pump and lights. I used a DIY reef rock recipe and molded the mixture around a large PVC pipe to create the overflow itself. It's all separate so I can dismantle if anything goes wrong but I luckily haven't had and issues with it. 

• 3 weeks later...
Justind823

Got a yellow Fiji leather two days ago and just placed it yesterday. Very excited!:naughtydance: I missed having one of these and since this is primarily a softy tank i had to have one.

• Like 1
Justind823
2 hours ago, ml86743 said:

Pics or it didn't happen.  I want one myself!

Once it's settled and lookin pretty then it's time for a photo shoot!

• Like 2
ml86743
1 hour ago, Justind823 said:

Once it's settled and lookin pretty then it's time for a photo shoot!

Can’t wait!  Makes me wanna go coral shoppin…