image.thumb.jpeg.75c45ee16c6f9a5a0e9b11f2178b0a17.jpeg

Aquarium: UNS 90L

Lighting: X2 Nanobox Duos

Return: Reef Octopus Varios - 2 

Flow: AI N Nero 3

Sump: Trigger Systems - Crystal 30 

• Like 4

Hello all!

I finally got around to making a thread for a build I've been putting together since the beginning of the year 😅

I just got the stand to a point where I can finish painting and then get it into position to transfer things over. I'm going to finish the doors once I find some reclaimed wood I like. As you can see, I have side access to the wiring and controllers. I made sure to make the stand plenty big enough for the sump, ato reservoir, and dosing containers. You can see in the second pic that I made a little shelf for the GHL units (KH Director and doser.

20211023_120031.thumb.jpg.08a0902088bb6bbfbb940c606964ce79.jpg

20211023_120148.thumb.jpg.8b4eb13f7e6274a8353395b8e9d395cd.jpg

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

That 90L, it’s 22 gallon 3-footer?

Yes, that's the one. 

I had a 12 gallon long awhile back and I do miss having a long tank

• Like 1
On 10/30/2021 at 9:34 AM, howaboutme said:

Good luck w/ the build! I have a UNS 75s. You're going to love the tank.

Thanks! I love UNS - they have some very high quality tanks. I was actually on the fence between the 75 and the 90. Good choice!

On 10/30/2021 at 1:32 PM, xiaoxiy said:

Hi!

👋

Made a little progress today! Fresh coat of paint and the beginnings of wiring :scarry:

20211031_135830.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
11 hours ago, Zuma said:

Great job with the stand!  Cutting glass is a bit nerve wracking but not too bad if you go slow.  Looking forward to seeing your build progress.

Yea I've done it on a number of tanks at this point and I've never had an issue. You're right though - still nerve wracking! 

On another not, I finally booted up my Hydros! 😁 Super easy to connect and pairing was a snap. 

Screenshot_20211101-215151.jpg

58 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

Nice!

Which overflow are you using?

You should add yours to this thread. Not much UNS tanks. I'm the last poster.

Ah right! I forgot about that thread. I'll have to post in there soon

As far as the overflow...:ninja: it's custom. Homemade frankenoverflow 😅. I'll be revealing it soon once I get it all plumbed together.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

Let there be light!

I decided to move the ATO to the left for easier filling. It was a little tight under the shelf on the right

20211105_111135.thumb.jpg.fe07ac0cebd7a6e6b03c10b47add97fd.jpg

love how you have kH Director sitting pretty before the tank and sump even got wet, lol.  now that's dedication!

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

love how you have kH Director sitting pretty before the tank and sump even got wet, lol.  now that's dedication!

Hah! Gotta test fit everything right? Besides - it's a good indication that I'm close to transferring over 🙂🙃

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Justind823 said:

Let there be light!

I decided to move the ATO to the left for easier filling. It was a little tight under the shelf on the right

20211105_111135.thumb.jpg.fe07ac0cebd7a6e6b03c10b47add97fd.jpg

GHL Fanboy eh? You thinking about getting the ION  at all?

2 minutes ago, xiaoxiy said:

GHL Fanboy eh? You thinking about getting the ION  at all?

Lolol 

Such a fanboy...honestly I really hated the thing for awhile. It was such a huge pain to setup and it was constantly having connectivity issues. Now that I've sorted through all of that it's been a lifesaver for my tank when I'm away for work on long stretches. I rely on it too much and it'll probably come to bite me one of these days. I'm good about calibrating and maintaining it so hopefully it never becomes a problem. The main reason I ended up on GHL in the first place was because of the cost long term and the small amount of sample water you can set it to. 

I don't think I'll end up getting the ION, at least not anytime soon. The Director has been keeping my tank happy enough for me so I'll just stick with that.

4 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Beauty of a stand! The tank isn't bad either. 😉

Ha hey there! Thanks bud. I need to make the doors or it's liable to be an open faced stand for the life of this tank😄

Do you still have a tank going??

On 11/10/2021 at 12:45 PM, Justind823 said:

Ha hey there! Thanks bud. I need to make the doors or it's liable to be an open faced stand for the life of this tank😄

Do you still have a tank going??

Lol yeah better do it now before you get distracted by the corals.

Yeah my tank is over 6 years old now and it's had its ups and downs. I've been meaning to update my build thread. Basically I have a custom on order to replace the current one. After seeing all the sexy UNS tanks, I wanted to join the club — but needed a custom to fit the current tank location.

Looking forward to your updates dude!

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

'Bout time for an update! It's been almost two years since I transferred everything over and then ghosted Nano-Reef. But I'm back now to please the reef gods with photos.

Here's the FTS as of an hour ago:

image.thumb.jpeg.34ea723b3ab495c8d9e012ca42b6db4a.jpeg

It's been awhile since I've messed around with the camera, still shaking off the dust!

As you can see, zoas love this tank. I've fragged many's a time to keep them from overcrowding each other. I'm currently working on encouraging them to cover the overflow. Oh right, the overflow! I was going for an equipment-less look with this build so the vision was to snake everything through the overflow. I have the return (something I've always wanted to improve) a dry pipe for wires (AI Nero 3 cable and X2 NanoBox Duos cables) and a two standpipes for a Herbie style overflow. 

I went through a phase of trying to keep SPS but as usual I got lazy and let whatever was happy do it's thing and whatever wasn't...slowly exit. So it became the zoa dominated tank you see here. I do keep a Crocea clam happy with a couple of blastos and candy canes, other than that just softies. I did pick up a little goni frag this week, we'll see how that goes. 

So this tank is fairly low maintenance as far as small reef tanks go. I probably do a water change once a month or so, sometimes longer. Levels are kept in check with All For Reef and I keep it pretty dirty by feeding a lot of coral food. I've had a real time of keeping nitrates and phosphates up in this tank despite feeding A LOT! I've been dosing Brightwells's phosphate and nitrate for going on 5 months and only now am I able to keep a stable level without dosing so often. 

Other livestock include: my clownfish that I've had since I set up my 17G in 2017, a Wheeler's goby with a candy cane pistol, a pom pom crab, and 3 sexy shrimp. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ca51e6a4a9f276d3567a65b4c3f6ebfa.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0e6b6901d8d0ffffe7e6872016979701.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4f28372a00b983a3ac995e77d20515c8.jpeg

I will try to update before we hit another 2 years!

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Justind823 changed the title to Justin's UNS 90L - 2 Year update!