Top Shelf Aquatics

Justin's UNS 90L - 2 Year update!

Justind823

On 9/22/2023 at 6:06 PM, Elizabeth94 said:

Very cool system. That clam is lovely. 

The clownfish with the black lips looks like he is frowning. 

Thanks! My clowns have always loved the pink and gold palys they live in but the sting turns them into dalmatians. 

On 9/23/2023 at 7:35 PM, schgr.cube said:

Ooooh yeah, this is definitely fantastic! Amazing job, I absolutely love it!

Thank you! I'm want to change the return to something else so there isn't a big white PVC elbow sticking out the top. Your build makes me want to be a better man 😅

Not sure what it can be since I don't want to lose the flow randomizer on the end of the loc line. Maybe I'll need to lose it though...🤔 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Justind823 said:

Thank you! I'm want to change the return to something else so there isn't a big white PVC elbow sticking out the top. Your build makes me want to be a better man 😅

Not sure what it can be since I don't want to lose the flow randomizer on the end of the loc line. Maybe I'll need to lose it though...🤔 

You could always try to build some rock around the randomizer, and completely hide it. They sell concrete bits at Home Depot, and although they aren't cheap, they make pretty quick work of rock.

On 9/27/2023 at 7:29 AM, schgr.cube said:

You could always try to build some rock around the randomizer, and completely hide it. They sell concrete bits at Home Depot, and although they aren't cheap, they make pretty quick work of rock.

Yea I might try something here in a bit, I actually have some masonry bits in the garage, just need to get ambitious and creative!

Here's another FTS, still working on the camera work. Pretty sure I just need a better editing program and I forgot about the auto feeder cord 😅

IMG_0624

I'm also toying with adding some frosted film on the back or and maybe doing a cheap ADA style lit backing. What do you think? I've seen some tanks where it looks amazing but I've been on the clear back for awhile now.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Ended up getting some ADA frosted backing and I'm thinking of building a simple shadowbox to play around with some light. Probably just a white painted box with a bit of RGB light strip inside. Will let you know how it works out! 

It's funny, I originally built this tank to be a 360° view. That was the concept with the overflow tower anyway but I decided there wasn't a great spot for it and now I'm deviating pretty hard by putting a background in 😅

• Like 1

Picked up a cute little toadstool to add to the softie collection. Also, a green banded goby! Love a little goby in a small tank. Never had one of these before, just a tiger and a neon so I'm excited to see it scooting around the tank

• Like 1
3 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

I love Pom Pom crabs and Green Banded Gobies! I need both in my tank again. Although I have been debating doing a small group of masked gobies instead of Green Banded this time around...

Yeah! This pom pom has been going strong for awhile now, same one from my previous tank. I always think of masterbuilders tank when I think group of small gobies. I love the look of these trimmas on a black background.

A group of masked gobies would look great in your tank.

On 10/9/2023 at 3:25 PM, ml86743 said:

This tank is looking great!!  I've followed your TOTM write ups before, love your style!

Thanks very much!

Got some pics of the goby. It's so tiny I though I ought to get some pics before it disappears without a trace 😅

53250028081_5d2e7924a9_o.thumb.jpg.5d73d119b38c6c851e0034341f7b7262.jpg

53249151432_103515a824_o.thumb.jpg.a0df4c2e2580a8114e76931efe37fb0c.jpg

53250027381_260bae50d2_o.thumb.jpg.7c2f1b2541545ef109d70304df964e29.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

Phone teaser of the fresh background! Started with frosted cling for the back of the tank. Then I built the shadow box out of foam core and loaded it up the bottom with RGB led strips that have a Bluetooth controller. I love it!  It creates a great sunset look and it's super fun to play around with.

20231014_191423.thumb.jpg.3b8dce4116787d8b290e34a4b7503a5a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Came across a photo of my clowns from 5 years ago, a few months after I bought them in May 2018. They were nice and clean when I got them. In this photo after a few months they are just starting to get their black spots and now they are closer to black clownfish than standard orange! Crazy how it's spread over the years.

IMG_0143

Their mustaches have come in nicely. Especially the little guy 

IMG_0617

IMG_0596

6 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

Came across a photo of my clowns from 5 years ago, a few months after I bought them in May 2018. They were nice and clean when I got them. In this photo after a few months they are just starting to get their black spots and now they are closer to black clownfish than standard orange! Crazy it's spread over the years.

IMG_0143

They're mustaches have come in nicely. Especially the little guy 

IMG_0617

IMG_0596

Pics are a little blurry - they're feeling fast today

• Haha 2

Bought a Hanna nitrate checker during the BRS sale recently. Since I'm testing for nitrate and phosphate so often I'd like to make it a little easier. Saw that dinos are trying to come back in my tank and despite killing another bottle of phosphate+ my tank is yet again very low on phosphate! Where it keeps going? I have no idea. It's really the only thing I need to regularly pay attention to at this point. 

12 hours ago, Zuma said:

Looking good!  Are the clowns hosting a leather coral?

Hey there!

That's their day job these past few weeks since adding the little leather. At night they sleep in the spread of pink and gold palys to the right.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I'm currently battling dinos. This has happened once before when my nutrients plummeted before I realized how much of a loss there is with this tank. Got lazy with dosing and the dinos came back. My strategy has been to get my phosphates way up while feeding often and adding lots of bacteria to outcompete the dinos. This worked for me last time, hopefully it does again!

• Like 2

I angled the clam hammock down a little bit so I can get a better view through the front glass. Still happy looking down from the top! Despite the steps I'm taking against the dinos that is

IMG_0900

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Good news! I finally beat back the dinos this week. Bad news, my phosphate and nitrates are jacked 😃 I used a combination of dosing nitrate/phosphate, a 3 day blackout, running only blues on my lights and dosing Dr. Tim's Eco Balance and Microbacter 7 off and on. I got into the habit of dosing N/P everyday and after a few days of neglecting to test they got away from me a bit. Now to bring those back down! Luckily this tank has mostly softies and surprisingly the few LPS I have, haven't shown any signs of real stress.

Anyway, here's Mr. Grumpygills

IMG_0949

• Like 4

Hey good news with the dinos! This hobby would be so much better if it didn't exist...

LOVE the backlight! I have the same idea on my new tank--I used frosted glass spray paint! But no light yet... Which RGB strip are you using?

• Like 1