Pod Your Reef

Single fish in a 5 gallon reef

Catherine

Hi all,

ive been looking into keeping coral and a fish in a 5 gallon tank. Is it safe to keep a fish in a tank that size? I tried to look it up but I keep getting conflicting information but I heard it’s good to have a fish with coral so that they can each benefit each other. Would it be better to keep inverts? Any info/advice would be appreciated 😁 Thanks!

I think a tank that size would be better to keep just inverts. Fish and coral don't need each other. I recommend a group of sexy shrimp for a nano that size once you get a good amount of corals.

• 2 weeks later...

From my experience, the Tailspot Blenny gave me the best experience I’ve ever had with a fish.  The ultimate personality, quirky, interesting, lovable and beautiful all-in-one.

The clown goby on-the-otherhand hid most of the time and picked at my polyps and caused me more grief than pleasure.  YMMV, but I returned that bugger after that experience.  The difference between heaven and hell, at least to me. 😉

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
SantaMonica

A single small fish gives a sense of large-ness to the tank. No-fish has appeal too, like a canyon. I've even considered a coralline-only tank, which in effect would be an underwater painting.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...