Catherine

Single fish in a 5 gallon reef

Catherine

Hi all,

ive been looking into keeping coral and a fish in a 5 gallon tank. Is it safe to keep a fish in a tank that size? I tried to look it up but I keep getting conflicting information but I heard it’s good to have a fish with coral so that they can each benefit each other. Would it be better to keep inverts? Any info/advice would be appreciated 😁 Thanks!

DevilDuck

I think a tank that size would be better to keep just inverts. Fish and coral don't need each other. I recommend a group of sexy shrimp for a nano that size once you get a good amount of corals.

aclman88

A clown goby would be fine in that size tank

• Like 2

NoOneLikesADryTang

I have a trio of trimma gobies in my 4.7 gallon pico. You could also look at eviota gobies. Either one would be fine in a 5 gallon tank. 

• Like 1

Clown79

Tailspot blenny would be good. They have tons of character, fun fish.

Plus they eat algae. 

• Like 3

Murphych

Yeah clown goby or tailspot blenny would be good options..

Get a range of snails, hermits, shrimp and it will be packed with interest. 

• Like 2

Seadragon

From my experience, the Tailspot Blenny gave me the best experience I’ve ever had with a fish.  The ultimate personality, quirky, interesting, lovable and beautiful all-in-one.

The clown goby on-the-otherhand hid most of the time and picked at my polyps and caused me more grief than pleasure.  YMMV, but I returned that bugger after that experience.  The difference between heaven and hell, at least to me. 😉

• Like 3

SantaMonica

A single small fish gives a sense of large-ness to the tank. No-fish has appeal too, like a canyon. I've even considered a coralline-only tank, which in effect would be an underwater painting.

• Like 2

DaJMasta

Maybe a pair of neon gobies?  A small shrimp goby and a pistol shrimp?  Maybe a hector's or rainford's goby?