inTank Media Baskets

Kindanewtothis
1 minute ago, seabass said:

You might be alright.  Put one under your original camera scope.  That should give us a good picture to ID them.

Will do asap. The pods seems to stay close from the sandbed. Flatworms are higher.

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis

My lfs sells flatworm exit, will get some later today. I'll use a big pack of carbon designed for the canister filter of the 50g and put it in the hob filter of the 10g.

Kindanewtothis

I find comments like this: "I’ve used other Flatworm medications before, including Salifert’s flatworm exit. The one negative thing about that is it killed flatworms so fast that the water had no time to respond. The toxins released from the dead flatworms literally blew up my protein skimmer and it took two months for the skimmer to calm down. So while that med worked and did its job, I wanted to try something else this time."

Should I be worried for the livestock in my tank? Or just the water change and carbon be ok?

Is there an emergency to act? Except for one zoa frag, is there anything at risk if I wait more time (so I receive my UV, and the water is clear)? It seems like using flatworm exit and adding a UV for another problem at the same time is a bad idea.

I'm not sure what type they are.  I'll try to find out for you.

In the meantime, read through this article.

https://www.melevsreef.com/index.php/articles/how-eliminate-flatworms-red-planaria

I also used a media bag tied on the end of a siphon tube to remove them.  In theory, you could use a 5 gallon bucket, and return the water (or forget the media bag and just replace the old water with new).

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis

Really need to clear the water before I can remove the flatworms. I need to take out as much as I can before the treatment and I cannot even see my rocks...

Good plan, don't rush anything.  The flatworms could be feeding on the phyto, or the zooplankton which is feeding on the phyto.  And I'm not sure if this is just a temporary bloom, or if it's something which needs to be addressed with more immediacy.

Clearing up the tank and then assessing the situation makes sense to me.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

Good plan, don't rush anything.  The flatworms could be feeding on the phyto, or the zooplankton which is feeding on the phyto.  And I'm not sure if this is just a temporary bloom, or if it's something which needs to be addressed with more immediacy.

Clearing up the tank and then assessing the situation makes sense to me.

I've completely stoped dosing phyto in that tank when I came back from hunting and saw everything was green (still is).

Is adding a damsel a terrible idea? Once the water is clear.

Edited by Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Is adding a damsel a terrible idea? Once the water is clear.

IDK, a young Springeri Damsel should be fine for awhile.  Eventually it might get too territorial.  IDK, maybe rehome it later, after the flatworms have been reduced/eliminated.

However, it will likely only control the flatworms, and not completely eliminate them.  You'd probably still need to use Flatworm eXit after you rehome it, but there should be less (so less toxins from dead flatworms).  Also, you'll likely need to remove all the rocks in order to get the Springer out of your tank.

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, seabass said:

IDK, a young Springeri Damsel should be fine for awhile.  Eventually it might eventually get too territorial.  IDK, maybe rehome it later, after the flatworms have been reduced/eliminated.

However, it will likely only control the flatworms, and not completely eliminate them.  You'd probably still need to use Flatworm eXit after you rehome it, but there should be less (so less toxins from dead flatworms).  Also, you'll likely need to remove all the rocks in order to get the Springer out of your tank.

I've had my springeri for over 2 years, really peaceful and pretty small. Love it!! My kids named it bleuet (blueberry) lol

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, seabass said:

Just out of curiosity, in how large of a tank?

12g now in a 10g with Nemo(again, guess who named the fish lol). She's usually the one who ends up being harassed. From the litterature and experience, springeri seems to be the only sane damselfish lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, it's suitable for your 50 gallon tank.  However, if the current isn't too strong, I think it should be alright.

After the water is clear, I'd probably run it in your 50 for awhile.  With that model, I expect this tank to be clear in 24 hours.

Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

I get wanting to clear up the water; but all that life will probably miss the phyto bloom.

The pods and worms? What life?

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)