ReefCleaners.org

Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

Make sure you feed it a couple of times a week; although not too much, or too big of chunks.

Yeah I really think that was the problem. Without knowing, I was under feeding it because I did not want to feed it too much...

Glad to hear you will be increasing it's feeding.  If left to decline too long, it can stop eating altogether and die.  Definitely don't rely on your light and fish to provide it with enough food.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Tired said:

Those aren't just pods, those are flatworms. Take a close-up picture of one. Some species are harmful. 

Yeah. Are they brown or red? Flatworm exit works really well but you need a good amount of carbon and a big waterchange because when they die they release toxins 😕

Kindanewtothis
6 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

Yeah. Are they brown or red? Flatworm exit works really well but you need a good amount of carbon and a big waterchange because when they die they release toxins 😕

Brown. I should have realized it wasn't pods.

Just now, Kindanewtothis said:

Brown. I should have realized it wasn't pods.

Don't worry we've all been there. The brown ones are not dangerous. They don't look pretty and can annoy corals when there's too many of them.

Ra_et_parasites_rust_flat.jpgust Brown Flatworm
The first and most common type of flatworm can become a nuisance quickly in the home aquarium. These organisms are tan, brown or rust colored with a red dot, and reach a size of up to 1/4" in length. They are oval and slightly elongated with two tail-like appendages at their posterior. This brown flatworm has been identified as Convolutriloba retrogemma, and will proliferate rapidly in aquariums with elevated nutrient levels. The populations of these pests can increase to a point where they will actually perch on corals, and block the light from reaching the corals' tissue. Some experts believe that the flatworms actually feed on the zooxanthellae from coral tissue, thus damaging the corals themselves.

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
13 minutes ago, seabass said:

Ra_et_parasites_rust_flat.jpgust Brown Flatworm
The first and most common type of flatworm can become a nuisance quickly in the home aquarium. These organisms are tan, brown or rust colored with a red dot, and reach a size of up to 1/4" in length. They are oval and slightly elongated with two tail-like appendages at their posterior. This brown flatworm has been identified as Convolutriloba retrogemma, and will proliferate rapidly in aquariums with elevated nutrient levels. The populations of these pests can increase to a point where they will actually perch on corals, and block the light from reaching the corals' tissue. Some experts believe that the flatworms actually feed on the zooxanthellae from coral tissue, thus damaging the corals themselves.

At least all I have is a small zoa frag in that tank

4 minutes ago, Tired said:

Those aren't just pods, those are flatworms. Take a close-up picture of one. Some species are harmful. 

• Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, DevilDuck said:

I'd rather deal with the flatworms than this damn dino infestation.

Yeah Dino's suck.  Your topic was kindof a downer for me as a newbie.  Have an established tank of sizeable volume and couple days out of town threw it out of whack.   Has me questioning why I'm interested in this hobby.  :mellow:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If they are rust brown with a red dot as I posted, then yes, I'd try Flatworm eXit.  I found that you must repeat the treatment a couple times, maybe two weeks apart to get the flatworms which were eggs.  If you don't get them all, they can start to develop a resistance.

Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

If they are rust brown with a red dot as I posted, then yes, I'd try Flatworm eXit.  I found that you must repeat the treatment a couple times, maybe two weeks apart to get the flatworms which were eggs.  If you don't get them all, they can start to develop a resistance.

Can't say I see a red dot, would have to use the microscope.

Kindanewtothis
2 hours ago, M. Tournesol said:

They look a lot like the harmless type🤞. Acoel Flatworms.

For natural predators you could add a wrasse (Six-Line, Melanurus, ... ) or a damsels of the genus Chrysiptera.

Thanks for the info but I doubt a six-line can live in a 10g.

Would a damsels be a good idea considering current livestock?

Edited by Kindanewtothis
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)